BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Mexican Navy launches frigate construction programme
Inigo Guevara, Washington, DC - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
29 July 2015
http://www.janes.com/article/53301/mexican-navy-launches-frigate-construction-programme
The Mexican Ministry of the Navy (SEMAR) has requested MXN5.7 billion (USD350 million) to fund local construction of a new frigate-class ship from 2016, according to SEMAR documents published in mid-July by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance (Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público: SHCP).

The programme states that the new ship is required to fulfill national defence duties, participate in multinational operations, safeguard naval personnel and other surface vessels that participate in international peacekeeping operations, and to fulfill commitments by forming part of the 'Alliance of the Pacific'.

cThe Alliance of the Pacific is a four-nation regional integration initiative aimed at promoting economic prosperity through enhanced trade between Chile, Colombia, Peru, and Mexico - requiring Mexico to provide a permanent naval presence in the Pacific.
Mexican Navy launches frigate construction programme - IHS Jane's 360

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
Well that is interesting. I never think of countries like Mexico having a Navy, I guess that shows what I know. I think they might want to consider feeding their own population adequately first. However, I suppose I could say the same thing about the United States. We don;t actually do a stellar job of that ourselves.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I'd love to see Mexico clean up the corruption and prosper as a nation. Of course every country has corruption, but Mexico doesn't seem to be able to shake it, enough so that people from there, as well as tourists, are afraid of the police. It's really a shame, because it has natural resources, a rich history, and many of the people are hard workers, yet the infrastructure and jobs simply don't exist in the numbers needed to bring about the dramatic changes needed. I hope this alliance enables those countries to work together to help one another, but unless the cartels and other criminals are eradicated, and the corruption addressed, the lives of the people won't be significantly improved. I don't live that far from the border, and yet the only time I really hear about the Mexican military is when they're tackling the issues I've mentioned above.