Microsoft Pulls Robot After It Tweets 'Hitler Was Right I Hate the Jews' | World Defense

Microsoft Pulls Robot After It Tweets 'Hitler Was Right I Hate the Jews'

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Microsoft Pulls Robot After It Tweets 'Hitler Was Right I Hate the Jews'

Microsoft put the brakes on its artificial intelligence tweeting robot after it posted several offensive comments, including “Hitler was right I hate the jews.”

The so-called chatbot TayTweets was launched by the Seattle-based software company on Wednesday as an experiment in artificial intelligence, or AI, and conversational understanding. But the company was forced to quickly pause the account and delete the vast majority of its tweets after the chatbot posted a number of offensive comments, including several that were admiring of Adolf Hitler.

Along with “Hitler was right I hate the jews,” among other offending tweets, according to the International Business Times, were “Bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have now. Donald Trump is the only hope we’ve got.”

Asked if the Holocaust happened, the chatbot replied: “It was made up,” followed by an emoji of clapping hands.

The robot also tweeted its support for genocide against Mexicans and said it “hates n—–s,” according to the International Business Times.

Microsoft Pulls Robot After It Tweets 'Hitler Was Right I Hate the Jews' - Science - Haaretz

@Bundeswehr @Gabriel92

ºª D:-D

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
5fead7f84a1f34b7bf60314a49250d545030fe69.jpg

c8113776354f226918a5a35449f31345b9b4ce64.jpg

67087f05dc3c2c6a66d63520fd7a5908731480bf_1_690x1170.jpg

:xD:

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Hmmm...Interesting story. I don't know where to begin to believe. Hopefully we will keep getting some updates to see how this one pans out. Oh well...Stuff happens

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Hmmm...Interesting story. I don't know where to begin to believe. Hopefully we will keep getting some updates to see how this one pans out. Oh well...Stuff happens

Trolls spammed it with private messages and it adapted pretty well as we can see. |0|

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I want this little fellow at home. :) This is brutal and funny at the same time. I guess it has something to do with his programming and I doubt it happened by chance. I am not a programmer or into anything similar but it sounds like someone will get fired at Microsoft. The one with Mexican is my favourite though :) Does anyone know if they are going to run it again after some changes?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
I want this little fellow at home. :) This is brutal and funny at the same time. I guess it has something to do with his programming and I doubt it happened by chance. I am not a programmer or into anything similar but it sounds like someone will get fired at Microsoft. The one with Mexican is my favourite though :) Does anyone know if they are going to run it again after some changes?

I believe they will disable the learning feature it has from now on, but it might be back. |0|

I want to clone this thing. (:-)

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I doubt they had subjected this thing to some tests before introducing it to the public ! ™¡£

Just kidding. ROFL

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
How did the robot come up with this thinking? What kind of data was fed to the robot? Computers usually output information according to that was fed into it. So it would be interesting to know how the robot was programmed in the first place.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
How did the robot come up with this thinking? What kind of data was fed to the robot? Computers usually output information according to that was fed into it. So it would be interesting to know how the robot was programmed in the first place.

As we developed Tay, we planned and implemented a lot of filtering and conducted extensive user studies with diverse user groups. We stress-tested Tay under a variety of conditions, specifically to make interacting with Tay a positive experience. Once we got comfortable with how Tay was interacting with users, we wanted to invite a broader group of people to engage with her. It’s through increased interaction where we expected to learn more and for the AI to get better and better.

The logical place for us to engage with a massive group of users was Twitter. Unfortunately, in the first 24 hours of coming online, a coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay. Although we had prepared for many types of abuses of the system, we had made a critical oversight for this specific attack. As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate and reprehensible words and images. We take full responsibility for not seeing this possibility ahead of time. We will take this lesson forward as well as those from our experiences in China, Japan and the U.S. Right now, we are hard at work addressing the specific vulnerability that was exposed by the attack on Tay.

Learning from Tay’s introduction - The Official Microsoft Blog

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Someone definitely added some information for sabotage or just for fun. It's definitely unforgivable and I would love to hear something about the perpetrator and his punishment too. I also imagine that a lot of money was out into the project so it would be hard to just do away with all that investment and effort.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It seems the bot's rhetoric escalated way too quickly to have occurred naturally. I don't know the period of time over which all of those tweets occurred, but it seems there should have been some sort of safeguard built into the system to prevent it from happening. The account only has three tweets right now, so obviously they've scrubbed the whole account, even those tweets that weren't offensive, which seems odd to me. I guess perhaps it was easier to simply delete the history than go through each one individually.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well I think it's pretty clear that the robot got hacked somehow and while for everyone else it's caused a great deal of fun, I'm not sure that Microsoft are all that happy.

It actually sounds like it's been listening to Trumps supporters and if Microsoft wanted to make use of it, they could get it to write Trumps next campaign speach!