Military reports reveal soldiers, sailors busted for drug dealing | World Defense

Military reports reveal soldiers, sailors busted for drug dealing

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Military reports reveal soldiers, sailors busted for drug dealing - Politics - CBC News

Canadian sailors and soldiers have been busted in some serious drug cases, from marijuana grow-ops to importing steroids and trafficking cocaine, according to records obtained by CBC News.

Documents released by the Department of National Defence under the Access to Information Act include 25 "significant incident reports" in the last five years, and at least 11 of them record cases in 2014. The heavily censored reports flag serious incidents that could jeopardize the military's operations or public image.

One report reveals a Halifax case where three members were arrested after RCMP seized 170 pot plants, four handguns and three long guns, all unregistered. The report indicates the members had access to "sensitive information."

Another report refers to a member who was arrested outside a known crack house in Victoria while carrying the drug and associated paraphernalia.

One sailor on board HMCS Protecteur was returned home in connection with an RCMP and military probe into a marijuana grow-op. A total of 6.8 kilograms of cannabis was discovered in the garage and closets of a home, according to the report, and the house was condemne

Defence Department spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande said the Forces have a zero-tolerance policy for prohibited drugs, and members caught using or selling drugs can face disciplinary, administrative or criminal consequences. The Canadian Forces Drug Control Program includes six types of testing to monitor and detect drug use, from blind and random sampling to mandatory tests where behaviour or incidents warrant.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I know nothing about how Canada treats their war vets. If they aren't getting the much needed help or are turning down the help for the PTSD associated with fighting in a war then they are going to self medicate. They should allow them to smoke as much pot as they want... seriously...

Making the money by selling drugs, though, they should face the same penalties as anyone else. It's a crime of opportunity. They shouldn't get any slack because they're soldiers, but they also shouldn't get insane penalties either... They're not any worse than anyone else. They may be soldiers, but they're still human, too

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That works out at about 5 cases per year and I suspect that many other countries, including mine, aren't too far behind. Percentage-wise, I'm sure we will be similar.

Penalties though, shouldn't differ from the norms. After all, these guys are supposed to be the Queen's finest and should really be acting as half-decent role models.

Clairelouise84

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, it is not something I have ever really thought about, soldiers and military people doing stuff like this, I guess because I have no experience of them I see them all as duty bound enforcers but they are human beings I suppose. It is not great and whilst they should be punished, it should be ore more than a civilian would get for the same crime.