Military sexual misconduct due to 'biological wiring | World Defense

Military sexual misconduct due to 'biological wiring

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Military sexual misconduct due to 'biological wiring,' Gen. Tom Lawson says - Politics - CBC News

. . . it's because we're biologically wired in a certain way and there will be those who believe it is a reasonable thing to press themselves and their desires on others. It's not the way it should be," he said.

"Much as we would very much like to be absolutely professional in everything we do, and I think by and large we are, there will be situations and have been situations where, largely, men will see themselves as able to press themselves onto our women members.

Sexual harassment is still an issue in the Canadian Forces because people are "biologically wired in a certain way," Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson said Tuesday, drawing outrage from opposition politicians and on social media.

After CBC News aired excerpts of his comments, Lawson quickly backpedalled and apologized for what he called an "awkward characterization."

In an exclusive interview with CBC's chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge, airing tonight on The National, Lawson said the "terrible issue" of military sexual harassment "disturbs the great majority of everyone in uniform and yet, we're still dealing with it."

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
I find it difficult to see how women and men can be in the same team without having complications and sexual harassment cases but it is something that does need work as there are far too many cases around the world with nothing being done about it.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
No man is wired to be that way sexually. It is all about self control which many don't have and therefore will always seek excuses for their bad behavior. Those found guilty of sexual misconduct must be charged and discharged from the army because they are weak mentally.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
That's a flimsy attempt to explain away inexcusable behavior. Humans aren't animals. They can learn self-control. Civilians don't go around touching the bums of of every woman they meet because they are wired to do so. Is the biological wiring of military men any different from that of self-respecting civilians? Since it isn't why shouldn't they keep their paws off their female colleagues?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Biological wiring or not, we all know that sexual harassment is wrong. Being in the military has no bearing on this, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, behaving like this is not OK.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
And the person talking about biological wiring is a high-ranking officer. Would someone with such an attitude be willing to fight sexual harassment if he thinks it's OK because, heck, there's this thing called biological wiring? The military needs more female officers because only they can do something to root out sexual harassment.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
True there is something called self control and joe public can do it then people in the military should definitely be able to be more disciplined.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I have not been in military training except in school as a cadet. But I have a cousin who entered the police academy here. Since the sexual harrassment is quite severe, she just got one of the trainors for a boyfriend. That's better, according to her, than to be tasted by all the officers. Tasted is the word for somewhat successful sexual advances like groping and kissing.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
ugh that just sounds sick already! Sometimes you wonder how they have the time to sit and think up some of the games and wording that they use to make up an entire sport. You find this everywhere not just in the military or police but in office jobs too and some women and men have been threatened with their jobs to keep their mouths shut.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
ugh that just sounds sick already! Sometimes you wonder how they have the time to sit and think up some of the games and wording that they use to make up an entire sport. You find this everywhere not just in the military or police but in office jobs too and some women and men have been threatened with their jobs to keep their mouths shut.

Yes, it is sickening to hear such stories about the ills inside military offices, what more in military schools. When I see on tv a high-ranking police woman being interviewed, that gets me thinking of the ordeal she might have passed through before getting that rank. I am hoping that they will cleanse their ranks soon before a scandal breaks out.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I am biologically wired to want to punch idiots in the face when they imply sexual harassment and rape is inevitable because "boys will be boys". But I am a civilized person whose parents raised them properly so I recognize these impulses in myself and do not give into them.

I think people who are charged with the solemn duty to use lethal force only when it serves the greater good should be able to show similar levels of responsibility when it comes to what they do with their penis--or face the consequences without making pathetic excuses.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
It is a mindset and the way that someone is raised that will make them either be an animal or a decent person with a stop button and the sense to have some self control. Afterall we are not animals but human beings with feelings and the ability to get hurt and feel hurt, so for those who don't care and are wired differently, perhaps they need to be taught a lesson before going out into the public.