9 0 0
Country
USA

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
I agree! We did abandon them, so how is it any of our business what they do? I wish them the best. People have to take the initiative in carving out their own future, and I admire any group who does that. We didn't get to be the country we have become overnight.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The fight against ISIS is far from over and these new demands or declarations won't win too many from friends for the Kurds. And by openly stating that they'll defy the U.S then they won't get any weapons. You don't win wars without weapons or aerial support and since they'll be getting very little of that their fight against ISIS is going to be very long, very bloody.

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
The fight against ISIS is far from over and these new demands or declarations won't win too many from friends for the Kurds. And by openly stating that they'll defy the U.S then they won't get any weapons. You don't win wars without weapons or aerial support and since they'll be getting very little of that their fight against ISIS is going to be very long, very bloody.
I am ashamed as to how we keep screwing them over. It's no excuse. BO is deliberately holding back because he really hopes that ISIS will increase in power. The Kurds have the fighting spirit; it's pretty disgusting how BO is being such a jerk and tying one hand behind their back. I don't know how the guy looks himself in the mirror every day....

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's but a matter of playing it safe. The U.S's allies have turned against them many times and I'm sure Uncle Sam has learned the lesson. And since they [the U.S government] is held responsible for the instability in Iraq, they'll do all in their power to ensure once the fighting is done, Iraq will be as it previously was — one nation. They won't for that reason, let the Kurds carve out a chunk of it for themselves.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is reasonable for Kurdish separatism to be part of the equation in US government thoughts. Because they are saying : "screw you US we don't care what you think" and also "Give us air support and also a billion dollars worth of weapons." And the people being held hostage to a proper military strategy being agree on are not us fat and content middle class residents of the US are they? The US can just not cooperate while separatism is on the immediate plan.

Yes the US track record in the area (and Western track record in general) is abysmal. But the situation right now is not something the Kurds can solve on their own. And to be a nation means mastering diplomacy even when emotions and history are involved.

Which may we mean putting devolution on the back burner for a few years and helping the nation they are currently part of for a while--or not getting the international aid they need to cut through the chaos that is screwing over the entire region..