MRAP | World Defense

MRAP

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
MRAP or Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected is a term for military light tactical vehicles that are designed specifically to withstand improvised explosive device (IED) attacks, and ambushes

With a rise in Asymmetric warfare, they have become a necessity. This thread will attempt to shed more light on them.

The following is a UAE JAIS 4X4 after battle damage

1591435977700.png

1591436019900.png

1591436089200.png

1591436215100.png

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
out here, you can go on post and count hundreds of them, they are great for this type of warfare but I wonder how they would fare in a conventional war. They stand so tall and would make great targets.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Terrorists that we are facing are really not high tech. Their favourite weapons are machine guns and RPGs. We don’t really need a super sophisticated MRAP. Even a basic configured vehicle will do it.

It is beyond conscious to buy planes for VIP transport and helicopters for the search and rescue and not get foot soldiers some semi decent protection.

Pakistan seemed to have several decent programs to produce their own vehicles but nothing materialized .It is a criminal negligence to me .

I remember this program well:

Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) commenced the development of the Burraq MRAP in 2009 to meet Pakistan Army's requirement for cheaper Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle's as lack of financial resources hampered its plans to acquire protected vehicles from United States, Germany and Turkey.[1][4]
The Burraq was first seen on Pakistan state media briefly in February 2010.[5]
In June 2011, International Defence Reviewreported that five prototypes / pre-production models of the Burraq MRAP were completed for trails & development work by Heavy Industries Taxila.[6]
On 19 March 2013, Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) announced that its Burraq MRAP Vehicle was nearing the end of its prototype phase and would be unveiled in next three to four months.[1]
In October 2013, a spokesman of Heavy Industries Taxila said, “Burraq is on hold,” but gave no reason.[7]

Then there is Hamza ... another whichever not seen in production.

Mingle

Reactions
1,813 8 0
Country
Pakistan
Terrorists that we are facing are really not high tech. Their favourite weapons are machine guns and RPGs. We don’t really need a super sophisticated MRAP. Even a basic configured vehicle will do it.

It is beyond conscious to buy planes for VIP transport and helicopters for the search and rescue and not get foot soldiers some semi decent protection.

Pakistan seemed to have several decent programs to produce their own vehicles but nothing materialized .It is a criminal negligence to me .

Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) commenced the development of the Burraq MRAP in 2009 to meet Pakistan Army's requirement for cheaper Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle's as lack of financial resources hampered its plans to acquire protected vehicles from United States, Germany and Turkey.[1][4]
In June 2011, International Defence Reviewreported that five prototypes / pre-production models of the Burraq MRAP were completed for trails & development work by Heavy Industries Taxila.[6]
On 19 March 2013, Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) announced that its Burraq MRAP Vehicle was nearing the end of its prototype phase and would be unveiled in next three to four months.[1]
In October 2013, a spokesman of Heavy Industries Taxila said, “Burraq is on hold,” but gave no reason.[7]

It's one time investment with great fruits find any vendor from outside like US or EU even China or turkey and setup local manufacturing with 50/50 partnership with export potential.

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
It’s really not that hard . We have the local technology and industrial base to manufacture these .

If nothing else I read Americans have almost 10000 armoured humvees and other vehicles in Afghanistan and it’s too expensive to ship them back. They may either leave them or sell in scrap... another idea ...buy them and even 1000 workable will make a huge difference For FC and the army .

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan

Sir you have valid points, only 2 reason seems one is lack of fund for production to start and secondly lack of kickback in local production

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Sir you have valid points, only 2 reason seems one is lack of fund for production to start and secondly lack of kickback in local production
I dont think it is lack of funds, but lack of will.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

Cavalier Group from Pakistan unveils Hamza 6x6 MRAP at BIDEC 2017
Monday, 16 October 2017
The Companies Cavalier Group and Heavy Industries Taxila from Pakistan unveil a new version of the HAMZA MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) in 6x6 configuration at BIDEC 2017, the Bahrain International Defense Exhibition and Conference.

1591523730100.png

1591523759600.png

In November 2016, Cavalier Group has unveiled its new 8x8 armoured vehicle in the category of MRAP, the HAMZA 8x8 at IDEAS, the International Defense Exhibition in Karachi, Pakistan.

The HAMZA 6x6 is a new vehicle fully designed and developed by the Pakistani Company Cavalier Group to response to the new needs of Pakistani army. The vehicle can accommodate a total of 13 military personnel including driver, commander and gunner.

The HAMZA 6x6 can be fitted with a full range of weapon system including small turret or remote weapon station which can be armed with machine gun or automatic cannon up to 30 mm caliber.

The vehicle features a V-shaped wall monocoque armored hull design and offers advanced protection features and superior off-road mobility and can operate in urban, mountainous and difficult rural terrains. The hull of the HAMZA 6x6 provides standard protection Level 4 STANAG 4569, with ballistic protection against firing of small arms 14.5 mm caliber and mine blast of 10 kg of TNT under the wheels. The vehicle can be fitted with an armour package to increase the protection to Level 5 STANAG 4569.

The HAMZA 6x6 has a combat weight from 20 to 22 tons with a payload capacity of 7 tons maximum. The vehicle is motorized with a Cummins ISM 500 6 cylinders Turbo Charged and Intercooled diesel engine coupled to an Allison 6 speed automatic transmission. The vehicle can run at a maximum road speed of 110 km with a maximum cruising range of 500 km.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This is a very good MRAP, I'm dissapointed that it has not gone into production.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
1591524364600.png

1591524405600.png

1591524429200.png

1591524443800.png

The hull of the HAMZA 8x8 provides standard protection Level 4 STANAG 4569, with ballistic protection against firing of small arms 14.5 mm caliber and mine blast of 10 kg of TNT under the wheels. The vehicle can be fitted with an armour package to increase the protection to Level 5 STANAG 4569.

The HAMZA 8x8 has weight of around 30 tons with a payload capacity of 15 tons. The vehicle is motorized with a 600hp engine offering a power to weight ration of over 20Hp/tons combined with fully independent suspension.

At IDEAS 2016, the HAMZA 8x8 is showed with a one-man turret mounted in center part of the roof armed with a 30mm cannon and one coaxial 7.62mm machine gun. According to Syed Muhammad Haroon, Defense Program Director at Blitzkried the HAMZA 8x8 is able to be fitted with a combat turret armed with a cannon up to 105mm.
At IDEAS 2016, the HAMZA 8x8 was presented in armoured personnel carrier variant but the vehicle can also be configured as riot control vehicle, IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle), fire support vehicle with 90 or 105 mm cannon, air defense vehicle or self-propelled mortar carrier.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
@Khafee. Seems developed by some private defense fiim, if Pakistan it self no going for it ? Seems very strange point here if fund are not major issue.
Them one can guess these intentionally neglected to discourage local defense industry growth's

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
So I asked my friend to ask his buddies who are at very high positions in the army about why the hell we don’t have MRAP . So here is one guys response. He is from Baloch regiment . So it seems like there is A realization and some sense of urgency .
Hope they do something for these poor soldiers .

Dear Asim, the concerns are very genuine, however budget constraints are surely there. However, Army has on top priority ordered induction of appropriate vehicles for this area. the area is so vast with little or no population for many many miles and limited roads/ tracks hence it becomes easy to mine. Neutralising the insurgents brings some relief but ALHAMDOLILLAH Pakistan has no shortage of sell outs hence replacement is not difficult.
This was off the cuff reply, however I will try to dig out more details later. Regards.

Last edited:

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I asked him to ask his friends at GHQ. I told him to push and make the planners realize that people are noticing and talking about this serious issue. I even added that everyone is concerned that the army can afford and buy an executive jet but doesn’t have money for the foot soldiers .

He will forward my voice message . Let’s see what they say.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I asked him to ask his friends at GHQ. I told him to push and make the planners realize that people are noticing and talking about this serious issue. I even added that everyone is concerned that the army can afford and buy an executive jet but doesn’t have money for the foot soldiers .

Lots of EDA available, which can be adjusted against CSF. Now is the time to hit the nail on the head.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

Executive jet prices have crashed. For US$25m you can get a Global 6000, couple of years old.