Muslim Nations must lead in counterterrorism | World Defense

Muslim Nations must lead in counterterrorism

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Prince Turki al-Faisal, a prominent Saudi prince, said on Sunday that Muslim countries must take the lead in fighting terrorism. This is related to the recent announcement of an Islamic counterterrorism alliance of 34 Islamic countries. The statement came during Saudi Arabia's hosting of an 18-day military exercise with 20 members of the alliance that included Pakistan, Sudan, Jordan and other neighborin Gulf states like Qatar.

Read more at Saudi prince: Muslim nations must lead in counterterrorism | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I don't know if I can take these statements seriously. Many of the Muslims in that region seems to only do things that are strategic to them, and that's the reason for the perpetual infighting amongst themselves. Sometimes one may be surprised to see some of the groups that the so-called good guys are supporting. Saudi Arabia is seeking to become the dominant force in that do region. Saudia Arabia was so passive before, not being willing to get into anything controversial, but nowadays they have become very vociferous.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I also believe the Muslims are way too quiet. They are allowing a handful of rogues to tarnish everything they have built up and should be standing for. Muslims in America are too silent, busy praying I guess. So it is with Muslim countries on a whole. It is not enough to denounce a violent, mindless act. They need internal solidarity even if they don't want to look as if they are siding with US or Europe, then fine. But for crying out loud...say something that makes your religion and cause look good.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
My take is that this counterterrorism alliance obfuscates fundamental issues at their doorsteps. Most are not democracies and state terrorism is practiced away from the probing lens of the media. You find a minority religious group controlling the levers of power at the expense of the majority. The West merely winks at the situation only interested in safeguarding their interests. This breeds terrorism by non-state actors who are their citizens.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I don't know if I can take these statements seriously. Many of the Muslims in that region seems to only do things that are strategic to them, and that's the reason for the perpetual infighting amongst themselves. Sometimes one may be surprised to see some of the groups that the so-called good guys are supporting. Saudi Arabia is seeking to become the dominant force in that do region. Saudia Arabia was so passive before, not being willing to get into anything controversial, but nowadays they have become very vociferous.

Good point, Muslims, like any other people, do not make up a unified body. We need to stop identifying people in the Middle East as Muslims. There are Turks, Jews, Arabs and Iranians. They all act in the interests of their ethnic group and not based on their religious background. Terrorism itself is a blowback due to failed policies in the region whether by outside parties or local administrations. It really has nothing to do with religion, it's more about regaining glory and getting out of the current desperate situation.

darkrebelchild

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Nigeria
In my opinion, terrorism should not be stopped by Muslims alone but a combination of all religions, unified to make the world a safer place. If Muslim nations do not have as much weapons and strategies to fight against terrorism, how can they lead?

Terrorism has no religion; they just all claim to be of a religion to confuse the world. They are a group of rogues who need to be stopped.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I agree that Muslims alone are not responsible for stopping terrorism. But I don't even need them to take on that role. Let the combined military of several countries do that as it affects everyone, whether religious or not. I just want Muslims to take action to detach themselves from the labeling. Do and say things publicly to regain the good things about your religion.