Name countries that do not know war | World Defense

Name countries that do not know war

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
This is a very interesting idea. Are there countries in the world who have never had war fought on their soil pretty much in their entire history? It seems like we all know and understand war. But there might be a country out there whose history lacks this. I can't think of any off the top of head. It would take some research to really know. I don't mean countries in the modern sense. I mean even in that particular land in that places history.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think Costa Rica has been at war with another country, althought there was an internal civil war in 1948 between the government and the National Liberation Army. I would have to go off and have a bit of a google to come up with any more information though.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
I think that there is no country that has never experienced or have ever been affected by war, it wouldn't have been called World War 1 & 2 if it exempted a few places. But expanding my answer a little; there are countries that have never waged war against another but they have had Civil Wars. I find this topic a little confusing but nevertheless an interesting notion.

robespierre1789

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Argentina
Greenland?

Jokes aside, it's almost impossible to think of any country that has not been affected by international or civil war.

I think that war, at least once in a country's history, is necessary for its proper growth and development.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I'm not an expert by any means but I think its pretty unlikely many countries have avoided war in their history. Its just part of the human condition, unfortunately. Theres always going to be the thirst for power and the need for nations to defend themselves from conquest. Sad aspect of human nature.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
I'm not an expert by any means but I think its pretty unlikely many countries have avoided war in their history. Its just part of the human condition, unfortunately. Theres always going to be the thirst for power and the need for nations to defend themselves from conquest. Sad aspect of human nature.

Its true, it is highly unlikely that there is a nation somewhere on Earth that has never been affected by war. The human species has been around for 200,000 years, its even more possible that there have been some conflicts that never even made into history and not the other way around. Just my two cents.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
I think that there is no country that has never experienced or have ever been affected by war, it wouldn't have been called World War 1 & 2 if it exempted a few places. But expanding my answer a little; there are countries that have never waged war against another but they have had Civil Wars. I find this topic a little confusing but nevertheless an interesting notion.
It is tough to say that a country could be without war being fought on their land. I cannot think of any since I never really was a war fanatic. Other countries that have not made war that is going to make me do some research.

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt it. Any populated area of land has resources that will eventually be desired by an outside population. A country like Tibet, which has no army and does not engage in war, can be a victim of war. Even tiny islands in the South Pacific are byproducts of imperialist wars. I guess Antarctica? Otherwise I'd have to say perhaps there are 'cultures', not countries that don't know war. Perhaps small tribes in the Amazon?

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
I doubt it. Any populated area of land has resources that will eventually be desired by an outside population. A country like Tibet, which has no army and does not engage in war, can be a victim of war. Even tiny islands in the South Pacific are byproducts of imperialist wars. I guess Antarctica? Otherwise I'd have to say perhaps there are 'cultures', not countries that don't know war. Perhaps small tribes in the Amazon?
Antartica would be an interesting place to have a war, which I had forgot about that place. What about Madagascar have they had any wars over the years? What of the Azores do they have some sort of defense against invaders?

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Antarctica has no native population so there's that to consider. Madagascar has had internal wars as well as fighting the French colonialists. I don't know about the Azores!