Naval Guns

Scorpion

THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
76/62 Super Rapid Multi Feeding (SRMF)

The 76/62 Super Rapid (SR) Gun Mount is a light weight, rapid-fire naval gun providing unrivalled performance and flexibility in any air defence and anti surface role, particularly in anti-missile role.

Capability for very effective engagement of shore based targets is also provided for unique multi-role performance.

The 76/62 SR is suitable for installation on ships of any type and class, including small naval units.
Interface to a large variety of ship's Combat Management System and/or FCS/EOS is provided, according to digital as well as analogical standard, including open architecture.
The Firing rate can be selected from single shot to firing 120 rds/min.

In operational condition the tactical time is less than 3 seconds and the standard deviation at firing is less than 0.3 mrad, thus providing excellent accuracy.

The 76/62 SR (together with the 76/62 Compact) is the only medium caliber naval gun available in the capable of sustained fire, which is a fundamental requirement in any scenario involving the simultaneous engagement of multiple maneuvering target, as requested by the emerging asymmetric warfare scenarios.

Automatic loading is provided through a revolving magazine and rapid reloading is easily undertaken even during firing action by two ammunition handlers.

Standard supply includes the new Digital Control Console (DCC) capitalizing the digital technology to increase the functions available to the operator and to the maintainers.
The 76/62 SR is ready for operating the OTO Melara 3AP Multifunction Programmable Fuse.
The in service and new 76/62 SR, have the necessary flexibility for being fitted with optional:

• Integral Stealth Shield to reduce the total RCS of the ship
  • Muzzle Velocity Radar to update the FCS of eventual deviations from range table values
  • Multi Feeding Device for the automatic handling, selection and feeding of any type of ammunition loaded
  • STRALES system – a guidance system for the DART guided projectile.
76:62.png
76:62 1.png
76:62 2.png

TatsuKaji

NEW RECRUIT
Reaction score
Country
USA
I love the sound of this cannon. It is really beastly.

joshua minaya

Reaction score
Country
USA
oh my this really looks more like something from a science fiction movie i wonder the extent of damage that can be caused by this monster of a weapon certainly on the high seas it is of course a force to recon with

TatsuKaji

NEW RECRUIT
Reaction score
Country
USA
It looks dangerous . %-)

I like it especially the smoke.

Thanks for sharing.
Indeed! The specs of this weapon alone are impressive but hearing and seeing it is just awe inspiring. For an Anti-Air gun thats one thing, but I wonder what sort of damage this does against a ground target, vehicle or human would likely be turned into a fine paste.

Gasoline

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Indeed! The specs of this weapon alone are impressive but hearing and seeing it is just awe inspiring. For an Anti-Air gun thats one thing, but I wonder what sort of damage this does against a ground target, vehicle or human would likely be turned into a fine paste.
You wouldn't like to see the damage of such that weapon .(:-)

You can imagine the effect of the penetration and the amount of the damage by looking to the rounds :

Very horrible

run..run..run .. <)0(>

kestas57

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the huge gunships that were made back in the cold war are awesome pieces of machinery. While they aren't very useful nowadays, what are your opinions on them?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think they are still useful until now like the tanks despite the advent of new equipments that are made for a kind of modern war. So countries should still have a production of them despite every equipment that we have now. War happens everywhere and you just cannot leave a hole in which you'd be attack. You must seal everything that's yours in all possible way.

xTinx

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I also think gunships are cool, albeit somewhat outdated and sluggish compared to other technologies for air warfare. Perhaps if they're converted to drones and use high-end machine guns instead of ordinary firing guns, then for sure they can still make a difference or tip the odds in a war.

mizrael

NEW RECRUIT
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have to admit they still look cool for old ships but they are redundant and belong in the Museum, they wouldn't stand a chance up against today's modern ships, they're too slow, they don't cover enough range and they are way too expensive to maintain, I'm sure they could be of some use if they're overhauled and upgraded with a new engine, guns and stealth capability, but that would be a waste when you can just build a modern ship.

kestas57

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would have to agree with you guys. No matter how awesome the things look they don't have anything going for them in current naval warfare. The things would get destroyed very quickly in a modern battle by fighters and rockets.

orangesunset

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Gunships can be too easily taken down by man portable anti-aircraft systems. A gunship costs millions, a man portable anti-aircraft system costs $25,000. Unlike tanks, which can use the ground to hide, it is hard for a gunship to hide since it is in the air.

Gunships have their uses, but they can no longer be deployed like large amounts like in the past. The main reason why Russia pulled out of Afghanistan is their gunships where getting nailed by American supplies missles. For the same reason USA has not really used gunships in Afghan.

Radix24

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Gunships are slow and are sitting ducks when it is used in open areas. However, it might stand a chance when engaging in mountainous areas. It's maneuverability might give it the ability the hide both from radar and human eyes. It is still vulnerable to anti-vehicle defenses though.

Justin

Reaction score
Country
USA
Naval artillery is artillery mounted on a warship, originally used only for naval warfare, later also for naval gunfire support against targets on land, and for anti-aircraft use.​

155 mm/62 (6.1") Advanced Gun System (AGS)

AGS Mockup showing the originally planned triangular barrel
Note the bicycles for scale and the ERGM-style projectile on the far right

AGS Mockup
Another view showing conventional and ERGM-style rounds

AGS being fired in September 2009 to test a new coating intended to extend barrel life
Dugway Proving Ground, Utah

Composite image showing RCS mounting and ammunition stowage system

AGS Components
MCU = Microcontroller Unit, SAU = Subscriber Access Unit, I/OCU = Input/Output Control Unit

AGS Magazine Arrangements

AGS Pallet Details

Artist's conception of 155 mm AGS

Size comparison of projectiles and propellant canisters

Pictures of prototype LRLAP emerging from gun barrel during tests in July 2005
First image shows the nose as it clears the muzzle, the second show the tail fins being deployed and the third shows the fins fully deployed

Artist's conception of LRLAP

Details of LRLAP
CCU = Canard Control Unit, GPS/TM = Global Positioning System/Timing Module, SAD = Safety and Arming Device, DIGNU = Deeply Integrated Guidance and Navigation Unit, FIU/RPU = Fuze (?) Interface Unit/Remote Processing Unit

LRLAP Warhead Design

Course Corrected Fuze
A fuze such as this may be used for the Long Range Ballistic Projectile

Artist’s conception of the DD(X) destroyer design by the Northrop Grumman Corporation Team
The two mountings on the bow are 155 mm AGS while the two on the hanger roof are 57 mm Mark 110

Comparison of AGS with AGS-L
Note that the AGS has Active Barrel cooling while the AGS-L does not
Image copyrighted by BAE Systems

Justin

Reaction score
Country
USA
United States of America
5"/62 (12.7 cm) Mark 45 Mod 4

USS Preble DDG-88 during firing trials in February 2003
Note the projectile at the upper right and the ejected shell casing
US Navy photograph No. 030218-N-8029P-001

Another view of USS Preble DDG-88, this one during a Pre-aim Calibration Fire (PACFIRE) in August 2005
Note the wooden skids being used to cushion the impact of empty shell cases
US Navy photograph No. 050819-N-6932B-072

Re-ammunitioning USS Lassen DDG-82 in September 2007
Note the powered dolly. Not your father's way of moving projectiles around on a warship!
US Navy photograph No. 070918-N-4649C-110

Mark 171 ERGM
Picture copyrighted by Raytheon Systems Company

ANSR Rounds
Picture copyrighted by Alliant Techsystems

ANSR during Wind Tunnel Test at LVT
Note the forward canard and base airfoils
Picture courtesy of Naval Surface Warfare Center

BTERM Diagram
Image copyrighted by Alliant Techsystems

Artist's conception of BTERM being fired from USS The Sullivans (DDG-68)
Note the similarity of this weapon with the earlier ANSR
Image copyrighted by Alliant Techsystems

Flight Profiles of ERGM and BTERM
Sketch courtesy of NAVSEA Naval Gunnery Project Office

Mark 172 HE-ICM

Cutaway of EX-175 Propelling Charge

Cutaway of EX-167 Propelling Charge​