New fears stoked as drunken mob attacks London synagogue | World Defense

New fears stoked as drunken mob attacks London synagogue

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
| Fox News

A drunken mob stormed into a London synagogue where worshippers were marking the end of the Sabbath early Sunday, shouting “Kill the Jews,” attacking people, vandalizing the building and stoking fears of rising anti-Semitism.

Jews inside the Ahavas Torah synagogue used chairs as shields as they beat back the throng, which assaulted at least one man and smashed windows. Scotland Yard said six people, including two women, were later arrested in connection to the attack, which came amid increasing anxiety in Europe’s Jewish community.

“After what happened in Paris, you are beginning to get British Jews asking, ‘Will I be safe going to synagogue or going to a Jewish shop? Will my children be safe in a Jewish school?’ ” Britain's former chief rabbi, Lord Jonathan Sacks, told Sky News.

Reaction in Britain to Israel’s war against Hamas last summer contributed to a record number of anti-Semitic incidents in the United Kingdom last year. Some 1,168 incidents of anti-Semitism were recorded during the year, according to the Community Security Trust’s annual report issued for publication on Thursday.

Part of Sunday’s frightening incident in the city’s Stamford Hill section was captured on video. Still, police and synagogue elders, including Rabbi Maurice Davis, said they did believe the 1:20 a.m. incident was anti-social, and not simply anti-Semitic.

Meir Taub, a member of the local Shomrim, a Jewish patrol set up to counter violence against Jews, told the Telegraph he was called to the incident shortly after it began.

"I came down and there was a huge group of people, men and women, trying to force their way into the synagogue,” Taub said. "The window had already been smashed. Teenagers were shouting abuse. It was blatantly anti-Semitic, they came and attacked a synagogue."

Jewish leaders said they turned over footage of the incident, which captured violence as well as the chants of “Kill the Jews.”

"I have clear footage which I'm going to show to the police, which clearly shows there were anti-Semitic chants," Taub said.

Police said the mob had left a nearby party and tried to break into the synagogue, sparking the confrontation.

"The disturbance began when a group of drunk males, believed to have walked to the area from a house party nearby, tried to gain access to the synagogue,” said a Scotland Yard spokesman.

Sacks later told BBC Radio that the most recent survey showed an overwhelming number of Jews in Britain feel safe. But following the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, in which Islamist extremists killed 12 in an attack on a satirical magazine, and anti-Semitic incidents elsewhere in Europe, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned European Jews they may only be truly safe in Israel.

In February, a man attacked a synagogue in Copenhagen, killing a Jewish man guarding the building during a Bat Mitzvah celebration. Hours earlier, the same man attacked a cultural center where a debate on blasphemy and freedom of expression was taking place, killing a man and injuring three police officers. Also in February, hundreds of Jewish graves were desecrated in a cemetery near Strasbourg, France. And last May, a man shot and killed four people in a Jewish museum in Brussels.

Many, if not most, of the anti-Semitic incidents over the past year in Europe have been driven by Islamist extremism, however, while Sunday's attack did not appear to involve religious extremists.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Is this supposed to be a Nazi throwback? I personally don't get this hate towards Jews. What's so hateful about being a particular race anway? Besides, that's Britain, a civilized country with educated people. Or so I thought. The drunken mob is supposed to be what - a group of ordinary anti-Semitic men or Islam extremists in hiding? The article does not say.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The drunk mob's action proves that though people may pretend that they like Jews, the past is gone, racism is dead and that sort of thing, many people still hate Jews. The excuse here could be "they we drunk and didn't know what they were doing" but since alcohol lowers inhibitions, these people can't deny the fact that they hate Jews but can't say so when they are sober.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Yeah I never really understood why regular Brits would have anything against the Jews. That is just assuming these people were actually born & raised in the UK, we all know there are a lot of immigrants and naturally there are some people from countries which are constantly in trouble with Israel.

TinVanMan

Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I cannot help but wonder why it is that all of the religious groups involved don't begin to ask whether or not religion is something that ought to be held onto so tightly. I am by no means blaming Jews for being attacked. When looking at the trend of extremism and violence in the modern world we are only talking about one thing: religion. I get that these groups have the right to practice as they wish without fear of reprisal, but what is it they are trying to hold on to? It seems to me the answer is a long history of violent traditions and ways to divide people rather than unite them. I can imagine a pretty great world with a lot of diversity that is very accepting that does not contain gods. We argue, but can always change based on the evidence in that world. However, as long as God says to do something, that is the ONLY thing to be done.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The drunken mob is supposed to be what - a group of ordinary anti-Semitic men or Islam extremists in hiding? The article does not say.

I'm pretty certain that a drunken mob wouldn't contain any Muslims. the Koran expressly forbids alcohol.

I tappears that the incident started after a Jewish boy got into a streetfight with people who had been drinking at a nearby house party. The boy ran back into the synagogue but he was followed by the party-goers who then proceeded to cause the disturbance. Here's a link to the full story, from the Israel National News:

London Synagogue Attack Was Not Anti-Semitic - Jewish World - News - Arutz Sheva

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think someone had hatred and had a few others and, decided get the drunk people as they will cause damage just tell them some lies so we destroy the place of worship and cause fear on Jews. The partygoers may have thought we will attack the church and blame them for our actions and use this in our defense and hope to get off as we were doing this in self defence. The government needs to watch the country more now than ever, as hatred is there and at least no one lost their life this time next time it could happen and may have bad consequences.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
How can you be so sure that Muslim extremists were not involved? I read an article about this same incident and the media kept saying that many attacks in Europe, the Charlie Hebdo incident included, are linked with Muslim extremists.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This happened in England so I'm pretty sure that if just one person in the mob looked even remotely Islamic, the police and media would have branded it as a terrorist attack.

The majority of people living in this country will take every opportunity they can get to be Islamophobic. Can we not just take the word of the people who witnessed the attack with their own eyes rather than trying to blame Muslims?

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
I'm pretty certain that a drunken mob wouldn't contain any Muslims. the Koran expressly forbids alcohol.

I tappears that the incident started after a Jewish boy got into a streetfight with people who had been drinking at a nearby house party. The boy ran back into the synagogue but he was followed by the party-goers who then proceeded to cause the disturbance. Here's a link to the full story, from the Israel National News:

London Synagogue Attack Was Not Anti-Semitic - Jewish World - News - Arutz Sheva
The Koran also expressly forbids waging war against any religion of the Bible. I have known drunken Muslims.

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
| Fox News

A drunken mob stormed into a London synagogue where worshippers were marking the end of the Sabbath early Sunday, shouting “Kill the Jews,” attacking people, vandalizing the building and stoking fears of rising anti-Semitism.

Jews inside the Ahavas Torah synagogue used chairs as shields as they beat back the throng, which assaulted at least one man and smashed windows. Scotland Yard said six people, including two women, were later arrested in connection to the attack, which came amid increasing anxiety in Europe’s Jewish community.

“After what happened in Paris, you are beginning to get British Jews asking, ‘Will I be safe going to synagogue or going to a Jewish shop? Will my children be safe in a Jewish school?’ ” Britain's former chief rabbi, Lord Jonathan Sacks, told Sky News.

Reaction in Britain to Israel’s war against Hamas last summer contributed to a record number of anti-Semitic incidents in the United Kingdom last year. Some 1,168 incidents of anti-Semitism were recorded during the year, according to the Community Security Trust’s annual report issued for publication on Thursday.

Part of Sunday’s frightening incident in the city’s Stamford Hill section was captured on video. Still, police and synagogue elders, including Rabbi Maurice Davis, said they did believe the 1:20 a.m. incident was anti-social, and not simply anti-Semitic.

Meir Taub, a member of the local Shomrim, a Jewish patrol set up to counter violence against Jews, told the Telegraph he was called to the incident shortly after it began.

"I came down and there was a huge group of people, men and women, trying to force their way into the synagogue,” Taub said. "The window had already been smashed. Teenagers were shouting abuse. It was blatantly anti-Semitic, they came and attacked a synagogue."

Jewish leaders said they turned over footage of the incident, which captured violence as well as the chants of “Kill the Jews.”

"I have clear footage which I'm going to show to the police, which clearly shows there were anti-Semitic chants," Taub said.

Police said the mob had left a nearby party and tried to break into the synagogue, sparking the confrontation.

"The disturbance began when a group of drunk males, believed to have walked to the area from a house party nearby, tried to gain access to the synagogue,” said a Scotland Yard spokesman.

Sacks later told BBC Radio that the most recent survey showed an overwhelming number of Jews in Britain feel safe. But following the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, in which Islamist extremists killed 12 in an attack on a satirical magazine, and anti-Semitic incidents elsewhere in Europe, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned European Jews they may only be truly safe in Israel.

In February, a man attacked a synagogue in Copenhagen, killing a Jewish man guarding the building during a Bat Mitzvah celebration. Hours earlier, the same man attacked a cultural center where a debate on blasphemy and freedom of expression was taking place, killing a man and injuring three police officers. Also in February, hundreds of Jewish graves were desecrated in a cemetery near Strasbourg, France. And last May, a man shot and killed four people in a Jewish museum in Brussels.

Many, if not most, of the anti-Semitic incidents over the past year in Europe have been driven by Islamist extremism, however, while Sunday's attack did not appear to involve religious extremists.
My first thought was "Must have had something to do with Soccer". As I read the article, I was puzzled about the mention of "Charlie Hebdo", hardly anything related to anti-Semiticism. I am also puzzled by the assertion that a drunken crowd shouting "Kill the Jews" did not appear to involve religious extremists. Is this typical of religious moderates? Really?

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
I cannot help but wonder why it is that all of the religious groups involved don't begin to ask whether or not religion is something that ought to be held onto so tightly. I am by no means blaming Jews for being attacked. When looking at the trend of extremism and violence in the modern world we are only talking about one thing: religion. I get that these groups have the right to practice as they wish without fear of reprisal, but what is it they are trying to hold on to? It seems to me the answer is a long history of violent traditions and ways to divide people rather than unite them. I can imagine a pretty great world with a lot of diversity that is very accepting that does not contain gods. We argue, but can always change based on the evidence in that world. However, as long as God says to do something, that is the ONLY thing to be done.
The problem is not religion, it is hate and prejudice. Yes, hate and prejudice frequently uses religion as an excuse. Perhaps you should read Gulliver's travels. Atheism is not the answer, especially since it is steeped in Rationalism, the intellectual enemy of "truth". Yahweh/Allah/Brahma/Jove may be a matter of faith, God (or perhaps gods) is a matter of logic. The three great intellectual achievements of the 20th century ( General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, and Goedel's proof) showed that Rationalism is always contradictory to reality (although it may appear to be true until examined closely). And Goedel showed that an unavoidable consequence of that is that there MUST be some god. And Prejudice is always ultimately Rationalist.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
My first thought was "Must have had something to do with Soccer". As I read the article, I was puzzled about the mention of "Charlie Hebdo", hardly anything related to anti-Semiticism. I am also puzzled by the assertion that a drunken crowd shouting "Kill the Jews" did not appear to involve religious extremists. Is this typical of religious moderates? Really?
There could be a possibility that the mob comprised mainly [of] neo-Nazis. I don't think all who hate Jews do so because of religious differences or religious extremism of any kind.

Rising Anti-Semitic Attacks in Europe Stoke Migration Fears — The Atlantic
"outside of the United States, attacks on Jews have been rising over the last decade, and many are now wondering if Europe will remain their home forever."

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
As usual the media loves to highlight the Jews as victims and not the world is against them. Why not broadcast when these people attack Mosques and chant anti-muslim slogans or anti-christian slogans? It is always about how the poor Jews are being attacked.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Is this supposed to be a Nazi throwback? I personally don't get this hate towards Jews. What's so hateful about being a particular race anway? Besides, that's Britain, a civilized country with educated people. Or so I thought. The drunken mob is supposed to be what - a group of ordinary anti-Semitic men or Islam extremists in hiding? The article does not say.

The majority of Europe and USA found no problems what so ever with Hitler's policies against the Jews. Just Europe and USA did not think that Hitler would take it to the extreme of exterminating 6 million of them.

Jews have the same problem as other new immigrants, they do not assimulate and they attempt to influence foriegn policy. Most of Europe is getting fedup of bringing in new immigrants who do not assimulate and hang out in in their own groups.

Putin actually has a large following with many Europeans and Americans. Putin stated that Russia is for Russians and Russia does not need or want immigrants who are not Russian. Most Europeans have similar sentiments.