New Minsk agreement | World Defense

New Minsk agreement

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nothing is yet official but it seems that the Minks talks have gone well and all parties involved reached an agreement. What is the content of the agreement is yet to be published. Let us all hope peace will be reached and all bloodshed in Ukraine will stop.

Wednesday, February 11
19:17 GMT:
A document that is planned to be signed after the talks is being reviewed by both the “Normandy summit” members and by the contact group, Belarus Foreign Minister Vladimir Makey said.

“To achieve a positive result, the approval of all participants is required,” he said.

19:13 GMT:
The four leaders are planning to sign a joint declaration on the implementation of the Minsk agreement, a source in the Belarusian capital has told Interfax-Ukraine.

“The signing of a joint declaration on the implementation of the Minsk agreements is planned,” the source said.

It is also expected that a tripartite contact group in Minsk will agree on implementation plan for the Minsk agreements. "It is expected that the leaders of the ‘Normandy format’ will support this plan," he added.

19:11 GMT:
The Normandy 4 and the host, Belarus President Aleksander Lukashenko - appeared for a brief photo call after two hours of negotiations. After posing for several shots without comment, the leaders went back to the negotiating table.

18:47 GMT:
President Poroshenko left the room where talks between the leaders have been taking place. He continued to the second floor of the palace, but was back in about 15 minutes.

18:38 GMT:
All sides of the talks are “willing to reach positive results,” Belarus Foreign Minister Vladimir Makey has said.

“We have had an opportunity to speak to each of the sides and we see that each [of them] is willing to reach a positive result,” he said, as quoted by RIA Novosti.

18:38 GMT:
The Minsk talks have continued in an expanded format. Putin, Hollande, Merkel, and Poroshenko have been joined by their states’ foreign ministers, Interfax-Ukraine reports.

18:10 GMT:
After the talks a joint document on Ukraine will be signed, Ukrainian Ambassador to Belarus Mykhailo Yezhel said, RIA Novosti reports.

17:43 GMT:
The United Nations expects the Normandy Four negotiations in Minsk to result in a cessation of hostilities in the east of Ukraine, Stefan Dyuzharrik, a spokesman for UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, has said.

"We look forward to positive results,” Dyuzharrik said. “We want to see a cessation of hostilities and to reach an agreement, which will be followed by all parties."

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I really hope so but I doubt that would happen at all. Russia found a step ahead to the east and won't give it up.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I wouldn't agree, trouble started after NATO wanted to expand eastwards breaking their promise to Russia that it wouldn't happen. If you check each sides request you can see that Russia fully supports Ukraine integrity (except for Crimea of course) and asks only for the basic right every human being has to also apply to Russians living in Ukraine (in example ability to use their own language).

EDIT: News update
Lavrov says that the negotiations are going : “actively, better than super”. He also said that the singing of the agreement won't happen tonight but tomorrow and that the negotiations will, most likely, last all night.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I wouldn't agree, trouble started after NATO wanted to expand eastwards breaking their promise to Russia that it wouldn't happen. If you check each sides request you can see that Russia fully supports Ukraine integrity (except for Crimea of course) and asks only for the basic right every human being has to also apply to Russians living in Ukraine (in example ability to use their own language).

EDIT: News update
Lavrov says that the negotiations are going : “actively, better than super”. He also said that the singing of the agreement won't happen tonight but tomorrow and that the negotiations will, most likely, last all night.

It started with the Russian supporting the separatists. I don't fully understand the situation but Russia was the first one who stepped up, provided arms and logistic support. You now tell me what did the NATO do exactly and why do you think sanctions have been imposed on Russia. Nothing come out of the blue mate.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It started with the Russian supporting the separatists. I don't fully understand the situation but Russia was the first one who stepped up, provided arms and logistic support. You now tell me what did the NATO do exactly and why do you think sanctions have been imposed on Russia. Nothing come out of the blue mate.

I think you didn't understand me or, more likely, I might have expressed myself wrongly. All hell broke loose after Poroshenkos decision for Ukraine to change it's non aligned status and to join NATO (thus breaking the deal between NATO and Russia by which NATO was not to expand eastwards). And how much of it was his decision, after Obama finally admitted it was the US who started the coup in Ukraine, let's say we can only speculate. If Ukraine joins NATO that means Putin will have US missiles directly at his doorstep.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
All parties involved have reached an agreement. Ceasefire is to start on February 15, all weapons are to be pulled back 50 to 100 KM (depending on the range and caliber). Also, rebels are to fall back to the borders which they held in September, Kiev will restore economic ties to the South-East and will also regain control of the border between Russia and Ukraine. Luhansk and Donestk will gain much greater autonomy and are to have new elections.

Putin: Parties agreed on ceasefire starting February 15 — RT News

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
Minsk Agreement is indeed a great development to the Ukraine conflict. Though more work needs be done, we now see a hope that the Ukrainian crises will end and will NOT further escalate into another great war.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Apparently the peace deal meant nothing to those on the front lines. The two sides are still engaged in battle. Those who expressed doubts that the rebels or the Ukrainian government would honor the peace deal were right. Of course there are a few hours before the official ceasefire comes into effect so there's still hope that all groups will withdraw their fighters from the combat zone.

Ukraine Fighting Rages as Cease-Fire Looms: 7 Troops Killed - NBC News
Seven Ukrainian service personnel have been killed and 23 wounded in 24 hours, a Kiev military spokesman said Saturday, despite a planned cease-fire worked out at a four-power peace deal in Belarus.

Pro-Russia rebels were trying to make tactical gains "to enlarge the territory under their control" ahead of the truce, Ukraine government spokesman Andriy Lysenko said in a daily televised briefing.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
There has been a lot of talk and nothing is really changing for the people in Ukraine. I wonder if this is yet again just more talk that Putin will quickly come up with a reason to not honor. It does not sound very promising based on what I have heard so far. I pray for peace in Ukraine whenever I think of them. That nation has been through a lot in the last century.