Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
New Russian Drone Tech Can See Through Camouflage
Source : Our Bureau ~ Dated : Thursday, October 1, 2015 @ 10:59 AM

all-seein_1443690009.jpg

All-seeing Eye for Russian Drones

Russia is creating a new payload module for its drones to help effectiveness of aerial surveillance and monitoring.

“The technology we created can process hyperspectral data streams, leading to the creation of an “all-seeing eye” that allows our drones to look beyond the usual boundaries of the human eye’s electromagnetic spectrum,” said Sergey Skokov, Deputy CEO of United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation (UIMC).

He said that the technology is based on the unique characteristics of spectral radiation emitted by every object or material. The equipment can uniquely identify anything in its field of view. This enables very accurate monitoring, assembling not just a picture made up of pixels, but pixels with a unique spectrum. This technology can also distinguish natural from man-made objects, such as camouflage nets from real grass, or fake from real elements.

The software and hardware system designed by UIMC includes airborne and ground equipment that can automatically detect military equipment, including camouflaged and hidden objects.

The system independently identifies targets using a database of hyperspectral characteristics of different objects and materials. With the help of opto-electronic equipment, the technology can also produce complete digital information about an area and can also assess environmental situations, including soil contamination, traces of chemicals, fuel spills, and more.

The technology can also be used in the civilian sphere. For example, in forestry it can assess the state of forests, their species composition, or to measure the effects of wildfires and pests. In the agricultural sector, hyperspectral data analysis can provide information about the state of the soil and whether it lacks certain elements.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds very impressive this does but I cannot shake the feeling that they are just bigging up another wording for "infra-red" or "heat-seeking". I know I'm completely wrong, but still. The fact that it can identify targets using a database seems like a bit of a weakness because all a military would need to do is slightly disguise or alter something and then the drone would have a hard time detecting it right? Because what it's searching for does not match what is in it's database.

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
It sounds very impressive this does but I cannot shake the feeling that they are just bigging up another wording for "infra-red" or "heat-seeking". I know I'm completely wrong, but still. The fact that it can identify targets using a database seems like a bit of a weakness because all a military would need to do is slightly disguise or alter something and then the drone would have a hard time detecting it right? Because what it's searching for does not match what is in it's database.
That's assuming the database contains only be-all, end-all items. I'd imagine they would utilize a database that's more flexible, and looks for specific characteristics rather than a single, cohesive whole when determining what an object is. If it contains W, X, and Y, for example, it is probably Z. Could be wrong, but that seems wiser to me than implementing an all-or-nothing system.

Either way, that's really cool. And mildly scary.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA

all-seein_1443690009.jpg

Russia is creating a new payload module for its drones to help effectiveness of aerial surveillance and monitoring.

“The technology we created can process hyperspectral data streams, leading to the creation of an “all-seeing eye” that allows our drones to look beyond the usual boundaries of the human eye’s electromagnetic spectrum,” said Sergey Skokov, Deputy CEO of United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation (UIMC).

He said that the technology is based on the unique characteristics of spectral radiation emitted by every object or material. The equipment can uniquely identify anything in its field of view. This enables very accurate monitoring, assembling not just a picture made up of pixels, but pixels with a unique spectrum. This technology can also distinguish natural from man-made objects, such as camouflage nets from real grass, or fake from real elements.

The software and hardware system designed by UIMC includes airborne and ground equipment that can automatically detect military equipment, including camouflaged and hidden objects.

The system independently identifies targets using a database of hyperspectral characteristics of different objects and materials. With the help of opto-electronic equipment, the technology can also produce complete digital information about an area and can also assess environmental situations, including soil contamination, traces of chemicals, fuel spills, and more.

The technology can also be used in the civilian sphere. For example, in forestry it can assess the state of forests, their species composition, or to measure the effects of wildfires and pests. In the agricultural sector, hyperspectral data analysis can provide information about the state of the soil and whether it lacks certain elements.

Well that is great, but my opinion is that their weaponry can't hold a candle to what is available in the United States. I personally am a bit worried about Russia's military capabilities, because it appears Putin is an egotist who want to re unite the old Soviet Empire. It seems he has been in office, as awfully long time, as well.

Bubblegum Crisis

Professional
Reactions
230 5 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

all-seein_1443690009.jpg

:blah: :blah: Ridiculous...

It would first it flies, after we'll see. Russia was completely unable so far to build one medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This invention for warfare use is terrifying at first impression. But look at it on a different angle. As what the article said, it can also be used outside of military purposes like in a forest. For me, that drone's most useful role is to track the survivors in a calamity like an earthquake-ravaged buildings, in a forest fire or even in the shipwreck. Pardon me if I do not know the limitations of a drone. But in the movie Everest, the helicopter couldn't fly in high altitudes due to lack of air so probably the drone couldn't fly in those situations either.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
It will need to be tested and check that errors are removed and needs to be able to detect the unseen drones or aircraft which will require a lot of work, and hope that we see this in action sometime this year which is ending in a few months. The database needs to be up to date and match the item or object, it is looking for and, hope the money invested in this was worth it as it would be stressful if the money was wasted and the drone did not do what was promised in the first place. I reckon it goes to show how technology has improved in the past few years and, we are able to do more then ever with the improvements.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That's assuming the database contains only be-all, end-all items. I'd imagine they would utilize a database that's more flexible, and looks for specific characteristics rather than a single, cohesive whole when determining what an object is. If it contains W, X, and Y, for example, it is probably Z. Could be wrong, but that seems wiser to me than implementing an all-or-nothing system.

Either way, that's really cool. And mildly scary.

Even then that system could get "spooked" though but adding things to adjust the length of W, X & Y. Mind you thinking about it, the database system would probably match it down to the closest resembling object which matches said parameters.

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
Even then that system could get "spooked" though but adding things to adjust the length of W, X & Y. Mind you thinking about it, the database system would probably match it down to the closest resembling object which matches said parameters.
Yeah, that was pretty much my thinking. There will be some issues with IDing certain objects, no doubt, but I imagine those discrepancies would be logged for a live human to look at later anyway.