No royal ‘is above law’ | World Defense

No royal ‘is above law’

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
No royal ‘is above law’ | Arab News

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman has vowed that his government would have zero tolerance for corruption in the country, and that he and other members of the royal family are not above the law.

“In some countries the kings and heads of state have immunity from prosecution. But here any citizen can file lawsuits against the king, crown prince or other members of the royal family,” said King Salman at Al-Salam Palace in Jeddah on Wednesday, during a meeting with anti-corruption officials and activists from the public and private sectors.

King Salman said his father was once sued by a citizen. King Abdul Aziz insisted on letting the law take its course and appeared in court with the plaintiff, where they were treated as equals. The verdict was in favor of the king but he waived his rights. Sheikh Saad bin Atiq was the judge.

He said Allah would reward citizens who point out mistakes made by him, members of the government, or community. The public can lodge complaints face to face, on the telephone or in writing, he said.

King Salman said he considers the rights of citizens “more important” than his own, and that the real defense against corrupt activity was the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the Prophet, peace be upon him.

This was the foundation of the country over the years, from the time of Muhammad bin Saud, to Turki bin Abdullah, followed by “my father Abdulaziz, and then to Saud, Faisal, Khaled, Fahd and Abdullah, and the crown princes Sultan and Naif.”

King Salman said the Kingdom was a safe haven for everyone. “Thanks to Allah, our constitution is the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of His Messenger, and the example of the pious Khalifs. Thank God, our country is secure and stable, and any citizen can come address us by our first names, without any honorific title, just as citizens used to address our father,” the king said.

“I tell you, I repeat again that the pride, strength and responsibility of this country lie in the fact that it is the direction in which Muslims across the world pray, and the place where revelation was received by Muhammad (peace be upon him). It came in the Arabic language to an Arab prophet. Therefore we have the greatest responsibility in the entire world,” the king said.

Speaking on the occasion, Khaled Al-Muhaisin, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (Nazaha), said: “Since the unification of the Kingdom, the major goal of the founder of the nation, King Abdulaziz, has been to fight corruption.”

Al-Muhaisin said King Abdulaziz sent out a message to citizens that if they do not lodge complaints about officials then it was like sinning against themselves. The founder had placed a complaints box at the gate to Government House and kept the key so that citizens would not fear any repercussions from officials targeted.

Al-Muhaisin said this message currently serves as a guiding light for the Nazaha. He thanked King Salman for supporting the organization’s activities, including efforts to revise regulations that would strengthen its mandate.

Clairelouise84

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Wow that is something, I can't see the UK royal family ding the same thing in any major hurry, I believe they are still considered above the law from a legal perspective but do not quote me on that one as I am not 100% sure. Nobody should ever be above the law. We are human and no matter what rank or royalty we might hold, are accountable for our own actions.

heavyinfantry

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Italy
A good message of equality for all the corrupted countries in the world in my opinion. That in front of the law we all should be treated equally should be a must and standard but of course it's not .

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
@pwarbi I believe Princess Anne was fined for speeding around 15 years ago. If I remember correctly, she got points and a fine! Quite right too, nobody should be above the law at all and I applaud King Salman for taking this stance. I must admit, I'm quite a fan of his.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
@pwarbi I believe Princess Anne was fined for speeding around 15 years ago. If I remember correctly, she got points and a fine! Quite right too, nobody should be above the law at all and I applaud King Salman for taking this stance. I must admit, I'm quite a fan of his.

I believe that she did get fined, although to be honest I'm not sure how much the fine was, and if it would have been the same amount as what you or me would have been given.

People expect to be treated equally and fairly, that isn't too much to ask for is it?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
So, if I understand correctly, in the Muslim nation the Qu'ran is used to keep people honest. Here in a Christain nation, the bible is used to justify corruption. And we call Muslims the bad guys? Did I understand that correctly?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that she did get fined, although to be honest I'm not sure how much the fine was, and if it would have been the same amount as what you or me would have been given.

People expect to be treated equally and fairly, that isn't too much to ask for is it?

According to the BBC, she got 5 points, a £400 fine and was ordered to pay costs. She was doing 93 in a 70 mph zone. She did have a clean license so this was probably a fair penalty.

There's so much more that they do get away with though and I often wonder about the things that go unreported...

SOURCE: BBC News | UK | Princess Anne fined for speeding

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
So, if I understand correctly, in the Muslim nation the Qu'ran is used to keep people honest. Here in a Christain nation, the bible is used to justify corruption. And we call Muslims the bad guys? Did I understand that correctly?
The Bible is misused routinely, yes you are correct in that. There are many people who use select passages out of context to justify whatever they want to do. These people are Christian in name only. Those who study the whole Bible and seek to truly know God and live by the teachings of Christ will not be perfect people in this life, but they will be the most honest and trustworthy people, willing to be honest and just even if it means a disadvantage for them personally.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible is misused routinely, yes you are correct in that. There are many people who use select passages out of context to justify whatever they want to do.

I think that this statement could apply to any religious text. ISIS appear to routinely misuse the Qu'ran too.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
The Bible is misused routinely, yes you are correct in that. There are many people who use select passages out of context to justify whatever they want to do. These people are Christian in name only. Those who study the whole Bible and seek to truly know God and live by the teachings of Christ will not be perfect people in this life, but they will be the most honest and trustworthy people, willing to be honest and just even if it means a disadvantage for them personally.
No doubt! Anyone who really does follow the teachings of Christ are truly decent people. I'm inching towards 40yrs old, and I've lived in the Bible Belt my entire life. I've met one of those people my entire life. And I have never met a more honest and upstanding guy! There are just so few of them around, anymore. A prime example is the group of "keep it traditional", pseudo-devout, hypocritical, homophobic Christains who claim Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because the people there had homosexual sex. If they took the time to actually read the bible, instead of quoting other people, who also haven't really read the bible they would know it was because the people in the town were mean to an angel disguised as a beggar. The Christian bible has one lesson above everything else... Help the less fortunate. But most of these "Christains" seem to believe that praying for people counts enough. So then they complain about their tax dollars going towards feeding the poor.

Missbishi is right. No religion is completely free of bad apples.

Last edited:

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
No doubt! Anyone who really does follow the teachings of Christ are truly decent people. I'm inching towards 40yrs old, and I've lived in the Bible Belt my entire life. I've met one of those people my entire life. And I have never met a more honest and upstanding guy! There are just so few of them around, anymore. A prime example is the group of "keep it traditional", pseudo-devout, hypocritical, homophobic Christains who claim Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because the people there had homosexual sex. If they took the time to actually read the bible, instead of quoting other people, who also haven't really read the bible they would know it was because the people in the town were mean to an angel disguised as a beggar. The Christian bible has one lesson above everything else... Help the less fortunate. But most of these "Christains" seem to believe that praying for people counts enough. So then they complain about their tax dollars going towards feeding the poor.

Missbishi is right. No religion is completely free of bad apples.

Thanks. Whilst I don't consider myself to be a Christian, I don't doubt the fact that Jesus existed. His basic message seems to be "love everyone and be nice" yet I have met very few people who claim to be Christian who actually take this attitude.

I know that they do exist though, which is why I really wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Thanks. Whilst I don't consider myself to be a Christian, I don't doubt the fact that Jesus existed. His basic message seems to be "love everyone and be nice" yet I have met very few people who claim to be Christian who actually take this attitude.

I know that they do exist though, which is why I really wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush.
It is so hypocritical. They condemn someone else for a million different, petty reasons... Meanwhile stealing the church's money to pay for whore and air conditioned dog houses.