None of Your Concern: China Slams US for Meddling in Asian Affairs | World Defense

None of Your Concern: China Slams US for Meddling in Asian Affairs

Justin

Reactions
61 2 0
Country
USA
None of Your Concern: China Slams US for Meddling in Asian Affairs

Chinese authorities are dissatisfied with the fact that US President Obama is interfering in the region’s affairs, the German newspaper “Die Welt” reported.

China’s official blamed US for its interference in Asia, saying that the latter should hold back from meddling in the region’s affairs.

China is seeking peace and stability and is ready to participate in negotiations to diminish tensions in the region, representative of the Chinese Foreign Ministry Hua Chunying said on Friday.

1020728987.jpg

Earlier, US President Barack Obama accused China of aggressive behavior in conflict with its neighbors over certain territories in the South China Sea. China does not always stick to "international norms and rules," regarding its territorial disputes with neighboring countries, US President Barack Obama said.

According to Obama, China uses its size and strength to force countries into subordinate positions. Chunying refuted these allegations, expressing hope that the United States would help to promote stability and peace in the region. The official also stated that “countries having no regional claims should keep in the background,” according to “Die Welt”.

The Asian region has been characterized by numerous territorial disputes for many years. The disputes involve China, Vietnam, Taiwan, the Philippines and other Asian countries.

o_O

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The U.S should not meddle in Asian affairs? Reminds me of the story Three Chickens and a Fox.

"I can settle your disputes." The fox said.

And he ate them all. I suppose that's China's goal. They can't act as an arbiter in any of those disputes because they're very much interested in seizing the disputed territory.

Last edited:

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
The U.S should not meddle in Asian affairs? Reminds of the story Three Chickens and a Fox.

"I can settle your disputes." The fox said.

And he ate them all. I suppose that's China's goal. They can't act as an arbiter in any of those disputes because they're very much interested in seizing the disputed territory.

China has struck a harsh tone on the US foreign policy in Asia. Better for the US to acknowledge the Power of China as the later isn't Iraq. Russia, China and NK block sounds scary and too much for the US to handle.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
All the U.S can do is talk. Should China choose to seize the South China Sea Island from the Philippines I doubt that the U.S [save for lashing out "verbally" against China's "aggression"] would call for sanctions against China.

America's exports to China amounted to $124 billion or 7.6% of its overall exports.

Apart from the fact that China is powerful, I doubt that U.S would want to lose that sort of money. I'm certain that they'll tone down their rhetoric.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
All the U.S can do is talk. Should China choose to seize the South China Sea Island from the Philippines I doubt that the U.S [save for lashing out "verbally" against China's "aggression"] would call for sanctions against China.

Apart from the fact that China is powerful, I doubt that U.S would want to lose that sort of money. I'm certain that they'll tone down their rhetoric.

China owns much of the US debts and have economic influence almost equal to the US therefore, I don't think sanctions will ever work against China.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Too bad for China's neighbors. They have to take what's offered or lose it all. Appears to me the international community can't control China because they've got no leverage. It's better I suppose to negotiate with China so tensions can be defused. After all, no one's going to swoop in to help should things go South.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Current China's claim in the South China Sea is entirely based on the 9-dash-line (originally 11-dash-line) which was published on the Chinese map in the early 1940s. Back then it was a different regime (Republic of China) ruling all of China, which was an ally to the U.S. Nobody opposed to China's claim back then. But everything was changed as soon as the US backed regime was overthrown by the communist regime.

Wonder why Taiwan is also claiming 9-dash-line and their claims in South China Sea matches exactly with China's? Because Taiwan is the final stronghold of the previous regime, and Taiwan's official name is Republic of China.

Basically none of those countries in the current dispute had claimed any of the disputed islands until a few decades ago. The US government encouraged them to "contain" communist China.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
The Philippines has a bilateral military treaty with the United States government, which in turn has treaties with other Asian countries. The US has contributed to our defense as well as South Korea's. It has every right to criticize China. Rather than slam the US, China should just stop grabbing territories that barely form part of its EEZ like Senkaku and Spratlys. Why not invest more in HK, Taipei and Macau instead? Those are its real territories anyway.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Stop meddling in Asia, that's kind of a hypocritical statement, isn't it. I think China is under the impression that it's synonymous with the word, 'Asia'. In reality, we have a lot of allies in Asia, most of them are principal players in the disputes. Why shouldn't we meddle? It's this kind of blatantly hypocritical bully-talk that makes China a country that you would rather oppose than compromise with.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
The Philippines has a bilateral military treaty with the United States government, which in turn has treaties with other Asian countries. The US has contributed to our defense as well as South Korea's. It has every right to criticize China. Rather than slam the US, China should just stop grabbing territories that barely form part of its EEZ like Senkaku and Spratlys. Why not invest more in HK, Taipei and Macau instead? Those are its real territories anyway.

Actually Diaoyu/Senkaku islands are within Chinese EEZ if you use the 200n mile rule. It is 330km from the nearest Chinese mainland coast, and only 170km off Taiwan coast which is still Republic of China. It is 410km from the nearest habitat rock of Okinawa which was Kingdom of Ryukyu until Japan illegally conquered them and renamed them to "Okinawa" in 1879. Japanese mainland is at least 1,000km up north on the opposite side of Okinawa.

As for Spartly, Philippines never claimed it until 1960s. Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. all claim Spartly as well.

EEZ rule didn't exist until a few decades ago, and it is stated that EEZ doesn't apply to the islands already have ownership. So you can't use EEZ rule to criticize China's older claim. Majority of the islands of Spartly are also outside Philippine's EEZ. Vietnam is also nowhere near Spartly islands. Nobody seem to criticize them. It is really all about containing "communist" China by the US. Japan, Philippines, Vietnam etc. are only used as a part of the plan. if there is really a war breaking out, who do you think will be affected? The U.S.? I think not.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
We meddle. It's just who we are and why we do. We're never going to change. China, and everyone else, should know that by now. If they don't its their faulty for not paying attention. :p

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
The US is just being its usual hypocritical self with those comments. All China is doing is using the same tactics that the US has used over the years to gain such power and influence. All China needs to do it to continue outperform the US in economic affairs and they will gain the required influence over time.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Actually Diaoyu/Senkaku islands are within Chinese EEZ if you use the 200n mile rule. It is 330km from the nearest Chinese mainland coast, and only 170km off Taiwan coast which is still Republic of China. It is 410km from the nearest habitat rock of Okinawa which was Kingdom of Ryukyu until Japan illegally conquered them and renamed them to "Okinawa" in 1879. Japanese mainland is at least 1,000km up north on the opposite side of Okinawa.

As for Spartly, Philippines never claimed it until 1960s. Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. all claim Spartly as well.

EEZ rule didn't exist until a few decades ago, and it is stated that EEZ doesn't apply to the islands already have ownership. So you can't use EEZ rule to criticize China's older claim. Majority of the islands of Spartly are also outside Philippine's EEZ. Vietnam is also nowhere near Spartly islands. Nobody seem to criticize them. It is really all about containing "communist" China by the US. Japan, Philippines, Vietnam etc. are only used as a part of the plan. if there is really a war breaking out, who do you think will be affected? The U.S.? I think not.
Dude, check your flaky arguments. It seems to me you still have a lot of rice grains to eat. Do you have a map? Can't you see how far China is from Spratly islands compared to the rest of Southeast Asia? Are you aware of the Principle of Effective Occupation or the term Inchoate Title? Vietnam, Philippines and Malaysia all have legitimate claims, proximity-wise and historically speaking. EEZ is 200 nmi from the shoreline, by the way. Go get a map and measure with a ruler. You don't need much.

Obviously, China's claim is born out of greed. You sure are aware of the territories it forcefully claimed, right? Macau, Hong Kong, Chinese Taipei... and who knows what else. I'm sorry but as an ASEAN citizen, I find your views so tinted with ignorance. Study IR first and you'll know which nation is nothing more but a greedy gremlin.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Oh boy, not sure if China is already acting like it is superpower. Although I can get where they are coming from about the US meddling about Asian affairs. But I think they are forgetting they are talking to the "US." It's like their unwritten job or something. It's like, if they don't meddle, they are not America. -_-

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Is it me or does it seem like history is repeating itself? Hasn't China tried this ploy many times before and failed? As for China's economy, China's economy is primarily based on exports to the US and her allies. If the US sets up sanctions, her allies will most likely follow and that would economically devastate China. It would hurt the US and her allies to a certain extent but not so much as to devastate them. I personally think China needs a bit of a kick in their ever growing butt before they fall over from the sheer weight of their ego. I don't care how big and powerful they think they are, mass of their country is in poverty and their moral standards are very low. I have no care for that country, I have nothing against the people per say because most are very kind, but... Well the country has some issues, lets say that.