North Korea Leader Hints at H-Bomb Capability

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

635853448967142360-GettyImages-492176280.jpg

SEOUL — North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has suggested his nuclear-armed state has developed a hydrogen bomb, a move that would signal a major step forward in its nuclear weapons capabilities.

During a recent inspection tour of a historical military site, Kim mentioned that North Korea was already a "powerful nuclear weapons state ready to detonate self-reliant A-bomb and H-bomb to reliably defend its sovereignty", the North's official KCNA news agency said Thursday.

North Korea has already tested three atom bombs, which rely on nuclear fission.

A hydrogen, or thermonuclear device, uses fusion in a chain reaction that results in a far more powerful explosion.

North Korea has hinted before at the possession of "stronger, more powerful" weapons, but Kim's remarks were believed to be the first direct reference to an H-bomb.

The North has made many unverifiable claims about its nuclear weapons strength, including the ability to strike the US mainland, which most experts dismiss — at least for now.

A South Korean intelligence official said Kim's claim was nothing more than "rhetoric" for domestic consumption.

"We don't have any information that North Korea has developed an H-bomb... and we do not believe that North Korea has the technology to produce an H-bomb," the official told the Yonhap news agency.

In September, however, the Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security had raised a red flag over what appeared to be a new "hot cell" facility under construction at the North Korea's main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

Analysts at the think tank said satellite images suggested it could be an isotope separation facility, capable of producing tritium.

Tritium is a key component in the design of more thermonuclear weapons with far greater yields than those made only of plutonium and uranium.

The North's first two nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009 were of plutonium devices, while the third was believed — though not confirmed — to have used uranium as its fissile material.

"Whether North Korea can make nuclear weapons using tritium is unknown although we believe that it remains a technical problem North Korea still needs to solve," Institute for Science and International Security said at the time.

"Solving this problem would likely require more underground nuclear tests," it added.

North Korea's main ally China said it had noted the reports of Kim's H-bomb claim, but offered no opinion as to its credibility.

The situation on the Korean peninsula "is still complex and fragile," foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in Beijing.

"We hope that all sides can do more to maintain peace and stability there," Hua said.

Matthew Lopes

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
More talk from an inept leader. Can they explode an H bomb? Maybe. Will it ever reach a sworn enemy? No.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
So do we believe that they actually have a an H bomb? Wouldn't intelligence communities around the globe already know about it if they did ? I agree with Webmaster, that if WWIII does break out N. Korea will have a strong hand in it.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon it can be hard to know if the claims are true or not and the bomb could be hidden so no one knows what they are doing in the country and it can be something which can make the minds of people think about what is going on and the bomb could exist just somewhere else. I wonder what will happen in the next few weeks and it could take some time for both countries to get along and this could just be a misunderstanding or trying to see what the other side will say to these claims. North Korea could be planning something later on and this could cause issues with other countries around the globe and think that we will just have to see what goes on later on and it is not a global war which could cause destruction.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
More talk from NK trying to establish themselves on the worlds stage as a country not to be messed with.

If they really wanted to be looked on as a powerful country in the rest of the worlds eyes then why don't they start attacking ISIS forces in Syria? Obviously not with nuclear weapons but conventional stuff.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It really is not up to our beliefs or disbeliefs. If this crazy person own any kind of nuclear weapon it is a code red to all humanity. Maybe it is not true, probably not. However, we always have the second option and the outcome of using the option B would be devastating. And no, North Korea would not be the one to cause the war. All of them are just tools in the hands of multinational companies and bank cartels. They are starting the war and it is ignorant to think there is something more behind it. ISIS believe in the war they fight and Korea will believe something similar but even the Americans do not realize what is in their own yard.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think there are any underlying agendas to NK's continual muscle boasting, I really think they are just doing it to try and put themselves out there. I just cannot see any other reason as to why they would do it.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but this news gives me a laugh again just like before when the great Nokor leader had stated that they have their nuclear bombs. Now North Korea has a hydrogen bomb which they can use to defend their sovereignty. And who is stepping over their sovereignty other then themselves? Maybe the Nokor leader is having fits of paranoia again hence he is hallucinating with his invented bomb.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of it is trying to follow in his fathers footsteps I believe. He did a lot of similar stuff and I think he's just trying to keep that up, and a lot of it might be coming from advisers to him and stuff.

I don't know what's up with it but this stuff has been going on so long now that no one really give a damn at this point.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
There is alot about North Korea that we do not know, but I think we all know they have the means and resources to pull this off. Whether this is them once again tooting their own horn or a real threat remains to be seen. I think North Korea has most of the technology we or any other developed nation has. The scary part is trying to find out or get them to tell exactly what they are doing is impossible. I do think they can reach the US but we would see it coming hours in advance and make sure that would be the last thing they sent this way.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Claims such as these can't be dismissed offhand. In fact believing the claims would be in everyone's best interests because that way you at least prepare for the worst. North Korea and China are allies and it has been claimed the two have been working together for a while now. It's therefore quite possible that with help from Chinese scientists North Korea can develop a H-bomb.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Claims such as these can't be dismissed offhand. In fact believing the claims would be in everyone's best interests because that way you at least prepare for the worst. North Korea and China are allies and it has been claimed the two have been working together for a while now. It's therefore quite possible that with help from Chinese scientists North Korea can develop a H-bomb.

I have to agree with you not to dismiss such claims at once if you consider the closeness of China and North Korea. But thinking deeply, I don't think China would support North Korea in times of war because China has lots of problems too like the intramul with the Philippines and US in south China sea particularly the Spratlys and also it has a row with Japan on an island between them. Soi I guess North Korea will be left to fend for itself when a war breaks out with the south.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Apparently at the moment China and North Korea aren't the best of friends. China finally did come to realize that North Korea's nuclear activities are a threat to it's long term goals.

North Korea's worst foes, South Korea, for example at the moment happens to be one of China's largest trading partners. China wouldn't want to lose that and would for that reason not desire to be as close as they were with North Korea in the past. Rumors even have it that it was China which stopped the two Korea's from declaring war on each other last year.

What should concern the world is the fact that China's waning influence in North Korea might not be good for everyone because the North Koreans will do whatever they please without fearing that they'll alienate any of their allies.

sharatharadhya

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
India
If a WWIII were to erupt NK would be the one behind it.
I think they are just trying to showcase a false nuclear power. North Koreans don't have the technology to make the nuclear payload small enough to be mounted on a missile. South Koreans claim that the video released by North Koreans is faked and must have been edited. But if that video was not edited and was true, chances are that they might have bought it from someone else. but as far as I know I think that this is just a message to their opposing countries that they might possess nuclear weapons.