North Korea test-fires new anti-ship cruise missile | World Defense

North Korea test-fires new anti-ship cruise missile

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
North Korea test-fires new anti-ship cruise missile

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea test-fired five short-range missiles into the sea on Sunday in its second such weapons test this year, a South Korean defense official said, amid dimming prospects for the resumption of high-level talks between the rival countries.

The missiles, fired from a North Korean coastal town, flew about 200 kilometers (125 miles) before landing in waters off the country’s east coast, a South Korean Defense Ministry official said on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.

North Korea routinely tests missiles, rockets and artillery, but the latest launches came with the two Koreas at odds over terms for a possible summit meeting between their leaders. The two countries last month floated the idea of the summit, which would be the third such meeting since they were divided 70 years ago.

North Korea separately told the U.S. last month that it was willing to impose a temporary moratorium on its nuclear tests if Washington cancels joint military drills with South Korea. But the U.S. has rejected the overture, calling it an “implicit threat.”

The South Korean defense official said Sunday’s launches were the North’s second missile firings this year.

The North said Saturday that it had test-fired a new anti-ship cruise missile, and that the nation’s leader, Kim Jong Un, observed the firing. It did not say when the launch took place, but the South Korean official said it happened Friday. The official said it wasn't immediately known whether the missiles fired Sunday were the same type launched two days earlier.

Last year, the North conducted an unusually large number of missile and other weapons tests, drawing protests from South Korea. The North still proposed a set of measures that it said would lower tensions, but South Korea rebuffed them, saying the country must first take steps toward nuclear disarmament.

The Korean Peninsula remains in a technical state of war because the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty.
---------------------------------------
These two countries simply just won't give their people a rest from all the bloody devastation.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't want to underestimate North Korea too much, but it's obvious that even if they get to improve the quality of their missiles, it's still not a guarantee that they'd win a war against NATO or South Korea. Why? The moment the enemy infiltrates their base in Pyongyang and holds the citizenry for ransom, I doubt NoKor would have the ability to fight back without resorting to underhanded methods.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
Yeah your right. North Korea is indeed a very dangerous country and their is a possibility that they are developing more powerful weapons secretly. I want to know what will be the action of US and South Korea about Pyongyang threat especially now that Russia and North Korea are becoming BFFs.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is a precarious situation still in the Korean peninsula. Tensions are still high. I do not think they will actually do anything rash...aside from chest-thumping. It will be swallowed up by a coalition if it moves too much. I think NoKor and China do not have a good relationship now.

Russia and North Korea are becoming BFFs.
Oh. Can you point me to an article on this one? I am curious and want to read more on this information. Thanks.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
North Korea must not have been getting enough attention from South Korea so they are now making innovative ways (toy weapons) to piss off their neighbor country.

Charity

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
North Korea is a very dangerous country. I know the country may seem stable, but everyone thought the USSR was stable as well, until it collapsed and we all see what happened when that happened. The world was in shock and did not know what to do at first, but now the collapse happened and we are left with a giant vacuum in the powers. With that being said North Korea and China are a couple of the main powers in the region.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I swear if North Korea and some other nations put in half the effort they do into improving their society and the well being of their citizens, we would have a truly wonderful world. North Korea continues to be aggressive and develop weapons for war while the citizens are still not being fed properly neither is the economy improving.