North Korea Tourism | World Defense

North Korea Tourism

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
North Korea launched their tourism site. The site is to appeal to international tourist even though its borders are closed and it's written in Korean. Yeah! Let's go there! Let's hope we don't get put in a work camp! No Bibles allowed!

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
North Korea isn't struggling that bad economically as their GDP rests around the 40 billion/yr range. Compared to the U.S. it's low as the GDP of the U.S. is around 18 trillion/yr.

Maybe they are potentially looking to one day open their doors for tourism? Not sure if anyone outside of Asia would venture a visit but if they were smart they could open up the doors and it could help boost the nation's GDP.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
From what I have read about tourism in North Korea tourists are pretty much herded onto an island and only allowed to "tour" certain areas and that is with a guide. You never know though people may really want to see what it is like over there.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
As I was skimming the article it says it wants to draw interests of westerners and it has links on how to obtain visas and such. However, everything is in Korean. It has some colorful pictures of people enjoying themselves at North Korea's pleasure complexes. One of these can be seen from South Korea. Considering how hard it is to get relatives to be able to see each other across the Korean borders, I cannot imagine real tourism occurring anytime soon.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Nice move .

I hope all that is expression of goodwill to open new clear page .

I believe that people can change to the better ...:٧:

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have read about tourism in North Korea tourists are pretty much herded onto an island and only allowed to "tour" certain areas and that is with a guide. You never know though people may really want to see what it is like over there.

I would love to see what North Korea is really like but I bet people never get the chance. I had no idea that this was the only way you could see the country, of course you are only going to get to see what THEY want you to see.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Eh. I might hop on the side of optimism when I don't feel so grumpy and sick. Today, I feel like staying groundedly realistic with a high level caution.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
I would love to see what North Korea is really like but I bet people never get the chance. I had no idea that this was the only way you could see the country, of course you are only going to get to see what THEY want you to see.

I will have to see if I can find the article again. It was from a blogger and they were part of a tour group that was some kind of goodwill mission to North Korea. Her description of everything was really humorous and she had a lot of pictures, but she admitted it was really scary when they were there. In her opinion, the people of North Korea are just brainwashed to an enormous degree.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Yes, it would be an interesting prospect but until they correct their political ideology and put an end to their childish threats against South Korea and the United States, I won't dare step on their soil. It's a disturbing thought but what if they suddenly take you as a hostage on a whim. My country has ties with the U.S. and South Korea. I'm not sure they'll be happy to welcome my race.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
Sounds more like an exercise in public relations than an exercise in commercial tourism to me. North Korea is a closed country. It is basically one big prison. Open up a prison for sight-seeing tours?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Incremental steps but positive. Even an increased rate of tourism, and the industries that will develop to cater to this, will have a positive effect on the local population and do its part in opening up the nation. My hope is that Kim Jong Un and his generals, in their infinite stupidity and greed, will accidentally and irreversibly open up the country to capitalism.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
My hope is that Kim Jong Un and his generals, in their infinite stupidity and greed, will accidentally and irreversibly open up the country to capitalism.

Somehow I feel that the chances of a snowball surviving in hell, is slightly better. The last thing a closed country like North Korea needs are citizens who have open minds. It's closed minds which keep them in power.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Or Kim Jung Un is bipolar and off his meds this month. We'll have to wait and see.

This just makes it more interesting haha. But in all seriousness, I'd really rather not go. It could be a trap. Who knows what their "great leader" has in mind really. I won't risk it.