North Korea warns of ‘sea of fire' after cross-border balloon launches | World Defense

North Korea warns of ‘sea of fire' after cross-border balloon launches

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
North Korea warns of ‘sea of fire' after cross-border balloon launches
North Korea has threatened South Korea with widespread military strikes unless it halts cross-border propaganda. Pyongyang also threatened the US with nuclear attack over planned US-South Korea maneuvers.

North Korea threatened Saturday to attack its southern neighbor after activists launched helium balloons carrying anti-Pyongang leaflets.

The communist nation also said it would attack loudspeakers set up to broadcast across the border by South Korea, a practice restarted after 11 years after three of its soldiers were seriously injured in landmine explosions earlier this week. North Korea denies responsibility.

"The puppet forces should not forget even a moment that the whole of South Korea might turn into a sea of fire due to the foolhardy leaflet-scattering operations," the North's Korean People's Army said. "There is a limit to the patience of the frontline soldiers of the KPA."

Three South Korean soldiers were maimed in a landmine blast this week

US-South Korea military exercise

Nuclear-armed North Korea also turned its rhetoric against the US, which is planning to join South Korea on Monday to begin two weeks of military drills and wargames that simulate an invasion by North Korea.

The North's National Defence Commission threatened Washington with the "strongest military counter-action" should the joint exercise proceed.

The North Korean army and people "are no longer what they used to be in the past when they had to counter the US nukes with rifles," the commission said in a statement.

It is now an "invincible power equipped with both latest offensive and defensive means ... including nuclear deterrence," it said.

Inflammatory language from Pyongyang isn't unusual and it's not the first time North Korea - whose artillery is capable of striking South Korea's capital - has warned it would reduce its neighbor to a "sea of fire."

Both the US and South Korea were threatened with nuclear annihilation in the months after leader Kim Jong Un took power in 2011.

70th anniversary of liberation

The nuclear threats and bitter recriminations come at a time when both Koreas are set to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the peninsula's liberation from Japan following the end of World War Two.

There had been hopes the anniversary would be an opportunity for some sort of inter-Korean rapprochement. Instead relations have spiralled downwards to the familiar accompaniment of ominous threats and mutual recrimination.

jar/bk (AP, AFP, dpa)
North Korea warns of ‘sea of fire′ after cross-border balloon launches | News | DW.COM | 15.08.2015

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Gee, those are strong words by North Korea. But are they capable of launching such a militaryh activity? It is my guess that North Korea is just trying to be noticed by the international community and at the same time, fooling their citizens into believing that they have some military muscles amid the hunger that is plaguing their country. Not bad for their own propaganda.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
So nothing new from North Korea then?

They are always giving these sorts threats to SK and the US. Their military looks powerful I'll give them that but all these threats they give out around the time of yearly events just screams of a country that wants to be feared by everyone and seen as some sort of superpower. It's pretty much attention seeking at this point.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
It sounds like par for the course in terms of the North Koreans. These are the individuals who are looking to be the biggest and baddest in Asia. Huff and Puff and try to be the bad ass in Asia. this is one of the things that Kim Jun Yun always wants to brag about and threaten all of his neighors and surrounding areas

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Those North Korean artillery look sexy but aside from that North Kora is only talking as usual and the day they launch a nuclear strike on the US or even South Korea is the day that country meets its end. The UN should just invade and take over until a democratically elected government can be put in place.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It sounds like par for the course in terms of the North Koreans. These are the individuals who are looking to be the biggest and baddest in Asia. Huff and Puff and try to be the bad ass in Asia. this is one of the things that Kim Jun Yun always wants to brag about and threaten all of his neighors and surrounding areas

That's also what I feel about that Kim of North Korea. He is trying hard to be the bad boy of Asia but is there someone noticing that? It seems to me that he practically gets no attention from his neighbors. Even US seems to be ignoring him. So what does he get from his bragging? Only the adulations of his cohorts who are all "yes men" and with no backbone.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
North Korea seeks attention. This is the only way they get it — issue threats. We'll nuke you to oblivion, prepare for "merciless war and disastrous final doom," nothing new. Apparently they get some kicks from all this because South Koreans live in fear. While yes, North Korea's threats against the U.S are nothing but hogwash the South Koreans should take them threats seriously.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
@Rowe992 I agree, that was my first thought, the tanks look very sleek and sexy! I wonder whether that fools the people of North Korea into thinking they are being kept safe from by their leader, from all the bad guys of the world.

Every time I read a story or watch a video about North Korea, I feel sad. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place like that. No country is perfect, but I truly wish they could experience freedom the way most of the world does, and understand that they are being duped.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
war is bad, and people dying is terrible. I agree with all that. But I have to confess, picturing people attaching notes to balloons and sending them over the border is the funniest mental picture I have had in a long time. I'm picturing it in a very "Tom and Jerry", "Roadrunner" type way. My initial mental image even included them holding a small fan up, to blow them in that direction.

It isn't just me, is it?If N. Korea could take a joke, everyone else would think it was as funny as I do, right?

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
NORTH KOREA has fired a missile at a South Korean border town in the latest escalation in border tensions between the two warring nations.

By Tom Batchelor
PUBLISHED: 10:34, Thu, Aug 20, 2015 | UPDATED: 13:14, Thu, Aug 20, 2015

Korea-599577.jpg

The South Korean military's radar system detected North Korea firing a shell at a military unit

Nearby towns in the South Korean demilitarised zone were evacuated after Kim Jong Un’s military fired an artillery round at a loudspeaker that was blaring anti-Pyongyang broadcasts.

The South Korean military's radar system detected North Korea firing a shell at a front-line military unit in Yeoncheon, northwest of Seoul.

In response, South Korea fired back dozens of 155mm shells at the point where the North Korean rocket was fired from.

North Korea did not respond to South Korea's returned fire.

South Korea's defence ministry said in a statement: “Our military has stepped up monitoring and is closely watching North Korean military movements.”

North Korea has demanded that the South stop its propaganda broadcasts within 48 hours, in a sign of ratcheting tensions between the two countries, who remain in a state of war.

Top South Korean economic and financial policymakers will meet tomorrow to discuss the impact on the economy and the stock markets from the exchange of fire with North Korea.

Korea-334558.jpg
EPA

South Korean soldiers engaging in a drill to fire 155-millimeter shells
About 80 residents in Yeoncheon, where the shell fell, were evacuated to underground bunkers, and authorities have urged other residents to evacuate.

A South Korean official said there were no reports of injuries or damage in Yeoncheon.

In the nearby border city of Paju, residents were advised to stay at home.

And on Ganghwa Island near the Koreas' disputed western sea boundary, residents in villages near a site where South Korea operates another one of its loudspeakers were also evacuated.

Korea-334575.jpg

People watch TV news reports of North Korea firing a shell at a South Korean military unit

The cross-border propaganda warfare followed accusations from Seoul that Pyongyang had planted land mines on the South Korean side of the Demilitarised Zone - maiming two South Korean soldiers last week.

North Korea's army said previously in a statement that the loudspeaker broadcasts were a declaration of war and warned of "an all-out military action of justice" if they were not stopped.

Pyongyang's powerful National Defense Commission had claimed that Seoul fabricated the evidence on the land mines and demanded video proof.

The land mine explosions resulted in one soldier losing both legs and another soldier one leg.

Last October, North Korean troops opened fire at areas near Yeoncheon, after South Korean activists launched balloons there that carried propaganda leaflets across the border.

South Korea returned fire, but no casualties were reported. Later in October, border guards from the two Koreas again exchanged gunfire along the border, without any casualties.

It comes as new pictures were released showing a rocket testing site under construction in the North.

Analysis of new satellite images revealed a large patch of burnt land close to a vertical engine stand - suggesting a recent test was carried out.

Building work is also underway at the site to allow larger rockets to be fired.

Korea-334574.jpg

EPA

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un smiling with his arms folded during an inspection of a fruit farm
North and South Korea exchange missile fire in latest border tension | World | News | Daily Express

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
If they keep up this bickering they'll BOTH get a time out! lol, it won't be funny anymore when war breaks out. But for right now, they are behaving like warring siblings. I can see the finger S Korea is holding a fraction of an inch from N Korea, while singing, "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you". Soon N. Korea will respond by grabbing the hand attached to the finger, and make S. Korea hit themselves in the head, while saying, "Why are you hitting yourself? Huh? Stop hitting yourself..."

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
@LilAnn I agree, and propaganda (or information, depending on who you believe) balloons aren't really my cup of tea, but I can see that they're trying to use a non-confrontational approach to get information to the people of North Korea. It does sound comical, but as I said above, the whole situation just makes me sad. I've seen videos of the North Koreans who appear to be puppets, or actors, forced to perform bizarre rituals, at the behest of their leader, or in fear that they will be punished for not doing so, and I can't imagine having to live like that.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
@LilAnn I agree, and propaganda (or information, depending on who you believe) balloons aren't really my cup of tea, but I can see that they're trying to use a non-confrontational approach to get information to the people of North Korea. It does sound comical, but as I said above, the whole situation just makes me sad. I've seen videos of the North Koreans who appear to be puppets, or actors, forced to perform bizarre rituals, at the behest of their leader, or in fear that they will be punished for not doing so, and I can't imagine having to live like that.
I've seen a little bit of a video. I wonder why we stick our nose into everyone else's business and how their people are treated. And yet, there's North Korea, being un-violated, left to treat these people however they see fit.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Kim Jong Un orders North Korean army to 'PREPARE FOR WAR'
DICTATOR Kim Jong Un has ordered North Korea's military to prepare for war, according to reports.

By Jake Burman
PUBLISHED: 00:00, Fri, Aug 21, 2015 | UPDATED: 07:39, Fri, Aug 21, 2015

Kim-Jong-Un-orders-North-Korean-Army-to-prepare-for-war-with-South-599779.jpg

The oppressive dictator ordered the military to prepare for war

The terrifying diktat comes amid escalating tensions with the country's arch-nemesis South Korea.

North Korea's official KCNA news agency reported: "Kim Jong-Un issued an order of the supreme commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA) that the frontline large combined units of the KPA should enter a wartime state to be fully battle ready to launch surprise operations."

Kim had threatened military action if the "warmaniacs" in the South continued to pump anti-Pyongyang propaganda across the border using loud speakers.

Nearby towns in the demilitarised zone were evacuated after the fearless dictator's military fired a missile over the border into the South yesterday - prompting Seoul to respond by firing dozens of artillery rounds.

About 80 residents in Yeoncheon, where the shell fell, were taken to underground bunkers and authorities urged other residents to evacuate.

Pyongyang denied provoking the first exchange between the waring parties since October and accused the South of using "nonexistent pretext".

The North Korean military released a statement which said: "Putting forward a nonexistent pretext that our military fired a shell toward the South, warmaniacs of the South Korean puppet military engaged in the reckless act."

Kim-Jong-Un-orders-North-Korean-Army-to-prepare-for-war-with-South-334996.jpg

South Korean soldiers engaging in a drill to fire 155-millimeter shells

It said the South's actions were "a grave military provocation that can never be tolerated" - threatening to take strong military action unless Seoul pulled the propaganda broadcasts within the next 48 hours.

Pyongyang threatened that its "Supreme Leader" would put his troops on a "fully armed state of war" starting from 5pm on Friday and had declared a "quasi-state of war" in frontline areas.

Similar language is often used by the oppressive regime during tense times with the South.

South Korea's defence ministry said in a statement: "Our military has stepped up monitoring and is closely watching North Korean military movements."

America has urged Pyongyang to halt the "provocative" actions - which did not cause any damage or casualties on either side.

Last October, North Korean troops opened fire at areas near Yeoncheon, after South Korean activists launched balloons there that carried propaganda leaflets across the border.

South Korea returned fire, but no casualties were reported. Later in October, border guards from the two Koreas again exchanged gunfire along the border, without any casualties.
Kim Jong Un orders North Korean Army to prepare for war with South | World | News | Daily Express

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some sort of national pride holiday going on in NK or something? Because they seem to have these little skirmishes and then make decelerations about preparing for war around this time every year.