North Korean ambassador claims country has nuclear missiles | World Defense

North Korean ambassador claims country has nuclear missiles

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
North Korean ambassador claims country has nuclear missiles | Fox News

North Korea has nuclear missiles and is prepared to use them at any time, an envoy for the country said in a recent interview.

North Korean Ambassador to Britain Hyun Hak Bong told Sky News that his government would use the missiles in response to a nuclear attack by the U.S.

Asked whether North Korea has the ability now to launch a nuclear missile, Hyun replied: "Any time. Any time. Yes."

"If the United States strike us, we should strike back," he said.

The ambassador reaffirmed that the country does not “want war, but we are not afraid of war.”

North Korea is thought to have a handful of crude nuclear bombs and has conducted tests since 2006. However, experts are divided on how advanced the country’s technology is and is unsure if they could miniaturize warheads so they can be placed on missiles.

The spokesman for South Korea's Defense Ministry, Kim Min-seok, said Saturday that while North Korea might have advanced its technologies for miniaturizing nuclear warheads so they can be installed on missiles, Seoul does not believe they have succeeded yet.

Kim pointed out that the North has conducted only three nuclear tests so far and it's unclear how successful they were.

The Institute for Science and International Security estimated that North Korea has between 10 and 16 nuclear weapons, some based on plutonium and others on uranium. The agency concluded that the country has weapons small enough to mound on medium-range intercontinental-range missiles.

The United Nations has imposed sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear and missile programs.

Hyun's comments come as rival South Korea and the United States conduct annual springtime military drills that North Korea says are aimed at preparing to topple its government. Seoul and Washington say the exercises are purely defensive.

The U.S. stations about 28,500 soldiers in South Korea to deter possible aggression from North Korea

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
The exchange between the North Korean ambassador and the reporter is interesting. He's essentially claiming that North Korea has no plans of instigating war against the US, and would only act in retaliation against a military strike. Which is perhaps the most ideal foreign policy you could ever expect from a regime like North Korea.

But such statements stand contrary to their usual rhetoric of frequently threatening war and "merciless retaliation" against South Korea and the US over the past decade.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
We all know that this statement must have been made as per Lil' Kim's instructions. He's just trying to scare us off, nothing more. Seoul is probably right to say that they haven't actually succeeded at all.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well North korea is doing what it does best and that is to spread propaganda. North korea having nuclear missiles means nothing unless they are prepared for a nuclear holocaust if they decide to attack another country with it. I wouldn't take them too serious with their threats.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't they also say they won the world cup as well?
While this country is not to be taken lightly by any means, I don't think its wise to believe everything that gets reported regarding north Korea. Especially id it come out of the mouth of a north Korean that holds any government role.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
We should take a vote. Who thinks we should call their bluff?

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
"Meh." This is my reaction whenever I see such declarations coming from our almighty and dear leader. Not even his population believes anymore his BS, so why does he think we would believe a single thing he gets out of his mouth? Surely, if he said that his country was in a dire situation and on the edge of bankruptcy, then yes, I would believe him, but anything that's got a positive connotation, no... just no, Kim. You're not wealthy.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I love the show The Americans, and whenever I hear or see something about North Korea, I think of the show, because it seems North Korea is stuck in the past. If y'all haven't seen this, it's a great documentary about North Korea. I watched it on PBS' Frontline several months back, here's a lVideo: Secret State of North Korea | Watch FRONTLINE Online | PBS Video

I'm a documentary junkie. I'm gonna have to check it out. I know a little bit about how the North Koreans have to live, but not enough to pass up a good documentary about it.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I guess that is only a bluff by North Korea. They don't have the resources to build the nuclear missiles. It is not cheap and just the design of the workshop will cost them an arm and a leg. Considering that North Korea's economy is down, I really that they are just trying to give an impression that they are armed. The word for that is Bravado.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
I am also going to check it out but I have to say that Korea is a little outdated but never underestimate the force of the little guy and how they can build an empire quietly whilst nobody takes them seriously.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
@tasha right, we shouldn't underestimate them. At the same time, though, they remind me a lot of a "not very good" friend I had in jr. High. She claimed once that the boy band that was really popular at the time would be at her birthday party. That was just one of many lies. I didnt have to wait for her birthday to know she was lying.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
@tasha right, we shouldn't underestimate them. At the same time, though, they remind me a lot of a "not very good" friend I had in jr. High. She claimed once that the boy band that was really popular at the time would be at her birthday party. That was just one of many lies. I didnt have to wait for her birthday to know she was lying.

I think there's a big difference between not underestimating them and believing every thing we hear though. Some of the things that North Korea come out with are laughable to be honest.

While it's possible they have nuclear weapons, I think it's highly unlikely, and I wouldn't start panicking too much about it just yet.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I think there's a big difference between not underestimating them and believing every thing we hear though. Some of the things that North Korea come out with are laughable to be honest.

While it's possible they have nuclear weapons, I think it's highly unlikely, and I wouldn't start panicking too much about it just yet.
The way I see it is if its true, regardless of if we believe him or not, we'll be facing the same threat. We can stress about it right now and count the minutes till that psycho pushes the button. Or we can point and laugh at him, until the psycho pushes the button. I prefer to laugh :)

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While I'm not saying that he doesn't pose a threat, I'm not sure he's as dangerous as what we first thought. He seems to be all mouth and not much action, and for me that tends to suggest theirs no substance behind the threats he makes.

You could say if he was going to do something, he'd have already done it by now.