NTSB Investigating Helicopter Crash over Pearl Harbor | World Defense

NTSB Investigating Helicopter Crash over Pearl Harbor

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It doesn't appear, at least at this time, that terrorism was involved in the crash. The helicopter had a family on board, and appears to have been involved in tourism activities. One child, a teen, is in critical condition, and appears to be have the most severe injuries. NTSB Investigating Helicopter Crash in Pearl Harbor | abc13.com From the article, it appears that the crash possibly resulted from some sort of power loss.

Here's another version of the story, this one gives more details about the rescue efforts of bystanders. I love hearing about how ordinary people go out of their way to help others, so wanted to share this version: Tourists Describe Moment Helicopter 'Fell Out of the Sky' | abc13.com

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
Well, that's...not great. I appreciate the tourists helping the downed helicopter survivors though. It could have been much more catastrophic considering the violently fragile nature of helicopters.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Well, that's...not great. I appreciate the tourists helping the downed helicopter survivors though. It could have been much more catastrophic considering the violently fragile nature of helicopters.

I've never ridden in one, and it seems lately there are more of them crashing. I don't know if that's because of older equipment that hasn't been maintained, that they're more prevalent, pilot errors, that the weather is a factor of if there are other causes. I think possibly there are more of them in the air, and also it seems more are being used in riskier circumstances, which could lead to an increase in incidents. I always love stories where people make at least an attempt to help others, rather than standing around filming the event.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
I've never ridden in one, and it seems lately there are more of them crashing. I don't know if that's because of older equipment that hasn't been maintained, that they're more prevalent, pilot errors, that the weather is a factor of if there are other causes. I think possibly there are more of them in the air, and also it seems more are being used in riskier circumstances, which could lead to an increase in incidents. I always love stories where people make at least an attempt to help others, rather than standing around filming the event.
I doubt that the prevalence of helicopters correlates to an increase in accidents in the first place, but helicopters are inherently a risky platform, and there are a ton of variables that could lead to an accident. This is why pilots are so thoroughly trained and screened, as one flick of the stick could doom an entire element of troops.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt that the prevalence of helicopters correlates to an increase in accidents in the first place, but helicopters are inherently a risky platform, and there are a ton of variables that could lead to an accident. This is why pilots are so thoroughly trained and screened, as one flick of the stick could doom an entire element of troops.

Hopefully accidents of this sort at least will function to provide manufacturers and pilots with ways to improve things for the future. Perhaps they can use flight data and weather information to create more stable equipment, and those factors can also serve flight schools by enabling them to teach pilots techniques they can use to evade disaster and increase safety.