Obama, Netanyahu Agree to Replace $30 Billion Arms Deal With ‘Substantially More’ | World Defense

Obama, Netanyahu Agree to Replace $30 Billion Arms Deal With ‘Substantially More’

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Obama, Netanyahu Agree to Replace $30 Billion Arms Deal With ‘Substantially More’ -- News from Antiwar.com

President Obama and Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu struck a hawkish tone in their high-profile White House meeting today, talking up massive increases in military aid for Israel while Obama praised Israel’s government for its use of “self-defense” in the ongoing crackdown against Palestinian unrest.

Long-standing disputes between Netanyahu and Obama seemed to be all but forgotten today, with Obama seemingly ready to endorse anything and everything Israel’s far-right government is doing, a fact which led Netanyahu to term it “one of the best” meetings they’d ever had.

While most of the public narrative between the two was the usual self-congratulatory comments about the inherent greatness of the US-Israeli relationship, the nuts and bolts of the talk appear to have centered on the increase in military aid, one which both sides agreed to expedite.

A 10-year, $30 billion military aid package signed under the Bush Administration is set to expire soon, and Obama made clear a new decade-long package was a “top priority,” with experts saying the talks are expected to put in place a package worth “substantially more” than the expiring one.

Israeli officials have made no secret their intention to get a massive increase above the previous deal, with the most recent talks late last week suggesting Netanyahu was looking for at least $50 billion over the next 10 years. US officials had previously suggested the deal would be in the $36-$37 billion range.

In addition to the new decade-long package, the US and Israel are also negotiating a one-off deal as “reparations” for Israel’s objections to the Iran nuclear deal, a package which itself is expected to be worth several billion dollars.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This is not to sow intrigue but I'm speculating that Obama's move on that billion dollar arms deal has a connection with the elections next year. I cannot find the connections now so I have to research on that. Can you imagine how much is $30 billion in terms of weaponry and armaments? What do the Palestinians say about it? Now if there is a connecting point with the US presidential elections then probably Palesting is plotting something to push up the Republicans.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
This is not to sow intrigue but I'm speculating that Obama's move on that billion dollar arms deal has a connection with the elections next year. I cannot find the connections now so I have to research on that. Can you imagine how much is $30 billion in terms of weaponry and armaments? What do the Palestinians say about it? Now if there is a connecting point with the US presidential elections then probably Palesting is plotting something to push up the Republicans.

He can't run for elections anymore, he served two terms. However he can give big package to make democrats have Jewish support. For the democrats running for presidency. Palestinians can say anything but no one will care. Palestine isn't and can't plot anything, we don't even have a country we are under occupation. The only people in today's world living under an occupation.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
He can't run for elections anymore, he served two terms. However he can give big package to make democrats have Jewish support. For the democrats running for presidency. Palestinians can say anything but no one will care. Palestine isn't and can't plot anything, we don't even have a country we are under occupation. The only people in today's world living under an occupation.

I said about the intrigue in politics because the situation there is in parallel with the administration here of President Aquino. He would do anything so his protege Mar Roxas can succeed him next year (there is no reelection for the president). That's what I was thinking about - Jewish support for Obama's party. But anyway, I really pity the Jews and the Palestine for the very compromising position both people are in.