Obama says ISIS is a direct consequence of the 2003 invasion | World Defense

Obama says ISIS is a direct consequence of the 2003 invasion

Ispanico

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Denmark
Obama says ISIS is a direct consequence of our 2003 invasion: "Which is why America should aim before it shoots".

What do you guys think about this article: ‘Unintended consequences’: Obama traces origin of ISIS to Bush-era Iraq invasion — RT USA where Obama traces the origin of ISIS to the Bush-era Iraq invasion?

I think there are a couple of great points being made and believe America's been over-invading countries for quite a while now without taking into account the consequences.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The whole mess you see in the Middle East is the result of the US foreign policy. Invading here and there, killing people right and left.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst Obama does have a point, it's rather convenient to lay the blame for the current situation with ISIS purely at the feet of the Republicans. Having said that, I'm from the UK and feel that Tony Blair played a large part in all this.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think ISIS is the result of invasive US foreign policy. I mean, look at it this way. The Jemaah Islamiyah group emerged either because of the need to impose Muslim supremacy or some other twisted goal. US foreign policy had nothing to do with it. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, seeks to build a caliphate after he was overlooked in al-Qaeda. Why would Obama blame the 2003 invasion? In fact, if that were the case ISIS shouldn't have invaded Iraq too. But they did.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think Obama should honestly be saying anything much on the issue, because the more countries say what they think they should do publicly where ISIS is concerned is the more they get worse.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon it has been happening even before that year, and they want to have more rights and trying to do it by force and want to promote Islam on countries by force which is not the right way and using violence. Obama may be right, but should focus more on what to do than saying it was due to the bush era when the ISIS started it's brutal attacks on countries and against the USA. A politicial game was played most likely and the consequences have not been good and a lot of deaths have occured and have still been happening which is bad and hurtful for the families involved and friends.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Obama isn't being entirely honest.
The roots of ISIS go back to Oct. 15, 2006, when what is known as the Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) was established.

But at that time they were not strong enough to wage a war against any army.

The withdrawal of U.S troops from Iraq emboldened extremists because they knew the ill-trained Iraqi army wouldn't be able to stop them. While the fighting raged on, the Obama administration watched from the sidelines are the beasts murdered thousands of people and only when Westerners were beheaded did they decide to wade in . . .

Had the countries now fighting ISIS responded earlier the terrorist organization would have been dismantled a long time ago. What we don't need know now is how ISIS came to be. What's done is done. The focus should be on fighting and defeating the savages.

Ispanico

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Denmark
I don't think ISIS is the result of invasive US foreign policy. I mean, look at it this way. The Jemaah Islamiyah group emerged either because of the need to impose Muslim supremacy or some other twisted goal. US foreign policy had nothing to do with it. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, seeks to build a caliphate after he was overlooked in al-Qaeda. Why would Obama blame the 2003 invasion? In fact, if that were the case ISIS shouldn't have invaded Iraq too. But they did.

While I agree that the goal is to impose a a caliphate and not directly "overthrow the west" (which they want to do eventually), the 2003 invasion turned most of the muslims in the region against the west if they weren't already. That gave ISIS valuable supporters and followers that would've otherwise just stayed home tending to their farms or doing their daily jobs. Most people won't uproot their life just because, they do it for a reason, and hate is a strong one.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
That is an interesting theory, but it fails to take into account the religious element of ISIS. ISIS is not simply a political machine trying to form a country for a particular nationality or ethnic group. They are a deeply religious group that is trying to create their country as an Islamic state. Perhaps the 2003 invasion prompted this to some degree, but I do not think it can be considered the direct cause.

Ispanico

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Denmark
Yes, I agree completely, I believe Obama blew it a bit out of proportion. I think there's no single direct cause, I believe it's an amalgam of many things. Of course, between those things is the 2003 invasion, but there are religious, cultural, and economical elements in play as well. Saying the Iraqi invasion is THE single direct cause is too black and white and it reeks of political purpose.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While i can't say that i agree with Obama completely, I certainly don't think it helped the situation in the middle east and I think that the US and the UK governments at the time made a situation that was developing already a lot worse.

Instead of looking back, surely the main focus now should be how to deal with the situation now, and in the future and making sure that lessons will be learned so as not to make the same mistakes again.