Orange passport for India’s migrant workers ‘institutionalizes discrimination’ | Page 2 | World Defense

Orange passport for India’s migrant workers ‘institutionalizes discrimination’

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
What's the harm in adding text to the existing passport? The first leaf can state the purpose intended by changing the passport color? Or am I shooting in the air?

It's already there. Last page of any Indian passport - ECNR or Emigration Check Required.

SOUTHie

Reactions
132 8 0
Country
India
Wow! This is unprecedented. Government is now profiling us based on our grade sheets and grad certificates. :mad:

I wish we take similar steps towards our politicians too. Like yellow election card for non-grad politicians (at least half of them will be holding), Blue card for graduated ones.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
What's the harm in adding text to the existing passport? The first leaf can state the purpose intended by changing the passport color? Or am I shooting in the air?

Case management software based on passport barcode can solve the whole issue.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Wow! This is unprecedented. Government is now profiling us based on our grade sheets and grad certificates. :mad:

I wish we take similar steps towards our politicians too. Like yellow election card for non-grad politicians (at least half of them will be holding), Blue card for graduated ones.

I share your displeasure, but this ECNR thing is more than 20 years old. I remember the irritation I felt when I had to dig for my IIM cert. before making my first 'forigin' trip (at the ripe age of 39), and spent two days ransacking the house for it. That was 1989.

SOUTHie

Reactions
132 8 0
Country
India
I share your displeasure, but this ECNR thing is more than 20 years old. I remember the irritation I felt when I had to dig for my IIM cert. before making my first 'forigin' trip (at the ripe age of 39), and spent two days ransacking the house for it. That was 1989.
That's fine. It's just that their passport require clearance. It's good especially for people who go abroad for menial jobs.

While giving color codes make it look more like making different classes of citizens. Who knows, if a company recommends "Only Orange passport holders need to apply". Makes things easier for them.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
That's fine. It's just that their passport require clearance. It's good especially for people who go abroad for menial jobs.

While giving color codes make it look more like making different classes of citizens. Who knows, if a company recommends "Only Orange passport holders need to apply". Makes things easier for them.

That was the admittedly lame excuse I started off with; do take a look at my first post on this subject. However, I am now convinced that there are a thousand and one ways in which to avoid this Star of David kind of singling out, that is in itself humiliating and degrading. There is no reason why any administration cannot make that slight extra step needed to screen better without making people feel like rejects being sold at a discount.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Thankfully the decision was rolled back.
You can't imagine how happy I am. To me this was nothing more than an extension of the feudal mindset. The Elites vs the downtrodden.

SOUTHie

Reactions
132 8 0
Country
India
You can't imagine how happy I am. To me this was nothing more than an extension of the feudal mindset. The Elites vs the downtrodden.
I thought the same. The government wants to tag their citizens based on their educational qualification.
I read news about a high school guy who got a US patent on a type of Engine he developed and imagine him holding an orange passport while another guy got an MBA (with no talent) from some shitty xyz college holding a blue passport.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I thought the same. The government wants to tag their citizens based on their educational qualification.
I read news about a high school guy who got a US patent on a type of Engine he developed and imagine him holding an orange passport while another guy got an MBA (with no talent) from some shitty xyz college holding a blue passport.

Very well said!!!

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India

Yep, India hamstrung itself severely by such mandal-commision style thinking time and time again....we are still knee deep in victimology by neat cookie cutter identity. In grand scheme of things, this was something small, but all the same....worth having a victory at some scale on this issue.