70 0 0
Country
USA

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I read the story too but I think its credibility might be shaken because they took so long to actually let people know. I'm a major optimist so I'm surprising myself by giving up on this music even before giving it a chance to be investigated more thoroughly. Such a situation should have caused a frenzy when it happened because they were already questioning it from they heard it on the moon in 1969. At this pace our contact with alien life form will certainly take us by surprise.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I think you have to take into consideration the times. A space race was going on, and that was the focus, rather than detracting from our successes by potentially alarming a less sophisticated and less accepting public. It was much easier to contain information back in those days, and it's not atypical for government documents to be labeled as classified and sealed.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I also find it very surprising how this story has died down after becoming significant for all of two weeks. Sometimes I think they do things like this just to keep the world engaged and interested in outer space and to show that something is being done with the funding, so governments should keep funding them. I know I'm thinking too far out on this one. It's just that I'm struggling to comprehend the move to even disclose it now.

waitt

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I also find it very surprising how this story has died down after becoming significant for all of two weeks. Sometimes I think they do things like this just to keep the world engaged and interested in outer space and to show that something is being done with the funding, so governments should keep funding them. I know I'm thinking too far out on this one. It's just that I'm struggling to comprehend the move to even disclose it now.

Why would governments fight to fund space exploration and research when they could be spending that money on strengthening their militaries? People are fascinated by space—remember when NASA's shuttle program got cut? Remember the backlash? There's no conspiracy to get people interested. The article doesn't specify, but I seriously doubt that NASA actually picked all of that information out of the declassified files and released this particular discovery to the public. That was likely the work of a third party, such as a news agency.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
It could very well be the work of a news agency. Every government who can afford it will continue to fund space exploration but I do agree that military budgets do remain top priority, given the way of the world now where triggers are pulled first, then negotiations after. I just have this feeling that NASA may get worried about its budget if nothing goes for a long time in that organization. You raise great points however @waiit.