Pak-Iran Relations Imperative for Regional Peace | World Defense

Pak-Iran Relations Imperative for Regional Peace

Signalian

Reactions
1,194 65 0
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan, since 9/11, has faced the dilemma of balancing the relationship with Saudi Arabia and Iran. Iran is not only an important country in the Gulf, but is also a stakeholder in regional peace, especially the Middle East.
Pakistan shares a tri-functional border with Iran; direct land border with Iran’s Sistan Province, maritime boundary of Makran Coast commencing from Sindh, and, through Nimruz province of Afghanistan, which was called “the scariest little corner of the world” by Luke Mogelson, a contributing writer at The New York Times Magazine. However, the reality is not that scary. Since centuries there have been many ethnic, historical tribal and socio-political compositions of people living across the borders of the three countries: Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan.

Pakistan-Iran Relations

Pakistan and Iran had friendly relations post partition of the subcontinent. Iran was amongst the foremost countries to recognize Pakistan and even supported Pakistan in the 1965 and 1971 wars against India. However, post Iranian revolution in 1979 that also has a sectarian profile, and Islamabad’s convergence with Riyadh and alliance with Washington in the Afghan War makes the relationship between the two countries a little complex.
Iran is being categorized by the West as the world’s most complex foreign relations dilemma. Since the revolution, the West has had troubled relations with Iran. However, it remains a very important country in the 21st century because of its resources, ideology, weaponry, allies and location, says Robin Wright, a New York based expert on Iran. Iran holds 10 percent of the world’s oil resources, it is Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)’s third-largest oil producer, and has the fourth-largest oil reserves and second-largest gas reserves of the world, which gives Iran enormous leverage in an energy starved global community.
Iran’s geostrategic location is also very significant: it is a bridge between the world’s most volatile blocs. Peaceful relations with Iran are a pre-requisite for stability in more than twelve countries spanning over the Middle East to the West, the Asian subcontinent to the east, and Central Asia and Caucasus to the north.
Pakistan’s focus on India and Afghanistan makes Iran a very important country, both geo-economically and geostrategically, with whom it shares more than 900 kilometers border. The relationship has seen its share of ups and downs.

The Security Front

Tehran was not pleased with Islamabad’s decision to let the former Army Chief General Raheel Sharif (R) lead the Saudi-organized Islamic Military Alliance to fight terrorism in 2017. Iran continues to point fingers at Pakistan of supporting or going easy on insurgents infiltrating the Iran-Pakistan border and allegedly harboring militant group, Jaish al-Adl (Army of Justice). Similarly, Pakistan has raised questions especially after Kulbhushan Jadhav’s arrest and his involvement in acts of terrorism in Pakistan. Recent killing of security personnel on the Coastal Highway terrorist act and fleeing of terrorists back to Iran raised issues as conveyed by Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi.

The lowering tensions between Pakistan and Iran has more than just a bilateral dimension, it is intrinsically linked to Chinese investment in Balochistan; the frontline province for CPEC and Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). Despite a very complicated backdrop, and the fact that two allies of Pakistan i.e., United States and Saudi Arabia are against Iran, it is very important for Pakistan to balance its relationship not just between Riyadh and Tehran, but also between Beijing and Washington. Similarly, it is important for Iran to improve its relations with Pakistan and use this link to improve ties for better regional peace prospects.

The Saudi-U.S. nexus is seen with skepticism by both Tehran and Beijing, and unfortunately, Pakistan has to brace for negative fallout with Iran loosening its grip on the operations of Baloch nationalist groups, such as Baloch Liberation Front and Baloch Liberation Army, which have presence in Sistan and Baluchestan on the Iranian side of the Pakistan border. The Ormara attack was seen by many as a reaction by Iran to the Sunni militant action against the Hazaras.

Pakistan also has serious concerns about Iran being used as transit route for terrorism in Pakistan, and more importantly, Iran’s inaction against ethnic Baloch separatist groups. However, instead of relations between Iran and Pakistan souring further following the execution of 14 people in Balochistan province of Pakistan, pragmatism has brought the two nations closer together. The response of Prime Minister Imran Khan and the Iranian leadership was rooted in finding solutions and pledging support instead of falling in the usual blame game pattern.

All of this has direct repercussion for Chinese investments in Balochistan. It is crucial for Pakistan to take actions to improve the security situation of the Balochistan province by improving bilateral security mechanisms on the border with Iran. Border fencing and the creation of Joint Rapid Reaction Force are all measures geared towards exactly that end. The highlight of the visit is moving the relationship from negative finger-pointing construct to positive, resolution-oriented approach. The creation of Joint Rapid Reaction Force along the shared border of Iran and Pakistan is a landmark achievement. However, the news may infuriate some major players on the world stage.
This is a leap away from the traditional approach where Pakistan and Iran were hostage in the hands of those who saw the consolidation of relations between Tehran and Islamabad with skepticism. The security trajectory seems to have taken the right direction.

Economic Front

PM Khan’s visit coincided with tightening of sanctions on Iran by the Trump administration to strangulate Tehran economically and undercut its powers across the Middle East. Therefore, the way forward on the economic front remains an uphill task, largely because of anti-Iran U.S.-Saudi nexus. The PM’s visit unfortunately coincided with Mike Pompeo’s announcement of clamping down on countries that export oil from Iran, including China which accounts for about half of Iranian oil exports, to bring oil profits for Iran to zero.

Trump’s decision to reimpose sanctions on Iran and penalize capitals for doing business with Tehran is clouding the viability of Iran-India-Afghanistan Chabahar project. Moreover, Afghanistan’s economy which largely relies on remittances flowing in from Iran (68 percent) will be affected. According to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees report, Iran is home to 3 million Afghan refugees, who will also suffer because of the decision to reimpose sanctions.
Iran's currency, the Rial, has depreciated in comparison to Afghani and is at record lows against the U.S. dollar, which is widely used in Afghanistan. For Pakistan, the functioning of multi-billion dollar Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas project is also hostage to U.S. sanctions and there has been no progress on the project despite Pakistan’s acute energy shortage. The IP gas pipeline project is now virtually shelved because of reimposition of sanctions on Iran.
Besides economic repercussions, sanctions on Iran are also one of the biggest impediments to the peace initiative in Afghanistan. The presence of the U.S.-led NATO/ISAF forces has already restricted Iran’s contribution to Afghanistan and has left little room for defence cooperation between Iran and Afghanistan. In fact, the U.S.-Iran deteriorating relationship has downplayed the potential of Iranian role in peacebuilding in Afghanistan, which can be substantial.

Reaction in Pakistan

The toxic reaction of our opposition on a seemingly out of context statement by the PM that may actually put the security relationship between Pakistan and Iran on the right track is indicative of an exploitative mindset with immediate low priority gains in mind on one hand, and an inability to think out of the box on the other. Iran responded positively to Pakistan with commitment to cooperate post Ormara incident on Makran coastal area. Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif’s pledge to address Pakistan's concern are positive indicators that must not be ignored in political point-scoring. The progress made by PM Khan’s visit, despite the negativity, may take this relationship from tepid to warm for Pakistan. Comparing Pak-Iran relations to Pak-India relations is a self-defeating exercise. There are many external players who are actually working towards making the Pakistan-Iran alliance fail. The focus on the negativity rather than the positive visit seems to be an extension of the same mindset. Despite all this, it is expected that the leadership of both countries would show dynamism in tackling the obstacles posed by world’s superpower and irritants due to regional sensitivities. The future of Pakistan and Iran shall be built on trust, cooperation, brotherhood and neighbourly relations between the two Muslim countries.

The author is an Associate Professor at the Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi.
E-mail: [email protected]

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
Loads of BS rhetoric packed in one article.
Pakistan is suffering, because of Iranian networks in Pakistan.
Iran is not even neutral on Pakistan albeit being friendly, where as Arab countries all the way from Libya to UAE have helped Pakistan survive in its 70 years.
Truth is; the country Iranian people hate most... is Pakistan and the country they love more than their own parents is India.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Iran looks at Pakistan from a sectarian lens.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
I think he is referring to how the current regime, uses Farhang's Khana-e-Farhang Official as a tool to further their agenda.

The Iranian ambassador, threatened Gen Zia, with civil war, and now 20k+ Pakistanis fight for Iran, under the Zainabiyoon Militia flag.
Can you send me a link to read about the threat of civil war please? I haven't heard about that, but I remember after the attack in Iran there were a lot of angry comments made against Pakistan from Iran, so I have no reason to doubt it

I am not religious so I am not pro or anti sunni or shia, but shia muslims in Pakistani have long been a target of sectarian violence by extremist groups, so I can understand their desire to fight ISIS. I think a group of people from a country fighting abroad is not so uncommon in history either. And every source I can find says the number is 1000-5000, I did not find anywhere saying 20,000.

However, I can see why Pakistan is concerned by a group of its citizens furthering the FP agenda of another state. Is it that much different from Sunni Sudanese/etc fighters joining KSA in Yemen though?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Can you send me a link to read about the threat of civil war please? I haven't heard about that, but I remember after the attack in Iran there were a lot of angry comments made against Pakistan from Iran, so I have no reason to doubt it

I am not religious so I am not pro or anti sunni or shia, but shia muslims in Pakistani have long been a target of sectarian violence by extremist groups, so I can understand their desire to fight ISIS. I think a group of people from a country fighting abroad is not so uncommon in history either. And every source I can find says the number is 1000-5000, I did not find anywhere saying 20,000.

However, I can see why Pakistan is concerned by a group of its citizens furthering the FP agenda of another state. Is it that much different from Sunni Sudanese/etc fighters joining KSA in Yemen though?

1) Gen Zia was the President of Pakistan from 1977 to 1988 approx, and he was the one who was directly threatened by the Iranian ambassador of launching a civil war in Pakistan using Pakistani Shias.

Intially, Paksitan had welcomed the Shia revolution in Iran, but after such shenanigans, the relationship just went downhill. Lately the killing of Hazara's (a shia minority in Pakistan) and other terrorism incidents have reflected badly on the Iranian regime internationally.

Shias In Pakistan have been used by Iran to portray the vicitm card as well, just like in the recent Ormara attack, where Shias were killed by terrorists from Iran. Nonetheless, you can see Shia, Prime Minister, Ministers, Generals and top bureaucrats in Pakistan, whereas in Iran, Sunnis can't even have a mosque in Tehran.

2) Zainabiyoon militia:

Liwa Zainebiyoun - Wikipedia

US sanctions on Fatemiyoun, Zainabiyoun militias target Iran's export of unrest

Iran's Zainabiyoun Brigade steps up recruiting in Pakistan

3) Comparing the official involvement of a country to that of clandestinely recruiting only a certain sect of society, against the host govt's wishes, is truly poles apart.

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
1) Gen Zia was the President of Pakistan from 1977 to 1988 approx, and he was the one who was directly threatened by the Iranian ambassador of launching a civil war in Pakistan using Pakistani Shias.

Shias In Pakistan have been used by Iran to portray the vicitm card as well, just like in the recent Ormara attack, where Shias were killed by terrorists from Iran. Nonetheless, you can see Shia, Prime Minister, Ministers, Generals and top bureaucrats in Pakistan, whereas in Iran, Sunnis can't even have a mosque in Tehran.

2) Zainabiyoon militia:

Liwa Zainebiyoun - Wikipedia

US sanctions on Fatemiyoun, Zainabiyoun militias target Iran's export of unrest

Iran's Zainabiyoun Brigade steps up recruiting in Pakistan

3) Comparing the official involvement of a country to that of clandestinely recruiting only a certain sect of society, against the host govt's wishes, is truly poles apart.
1) do you have a link for the threat of civil war?
1a) Thousands of shias have been murdered by extremist sunnis in Pakistan, it's not a "victim card" if it's real.
1b) To say there is no sunni mosque in Iran is wrong. Iran does not distinguish between 'shia mosque' or 'sunni mosque'. Regardless, Sunnis do have their own mosques that they run (and yes in Tehran as well - 9 in Tehran): Sunnis running 9 mosques in Tehran. In fact, one of the largest and most beautiful mosques in all of Iran is a Sunni mosque in Zahedan (Makki Mosque): Makki Mosque - Wikipedia

Makki_Mosque.jpg

The reality is that shias in Sunni areas in Iran pray in the Sunni mosques, and vice versa. But there are proposals for a specific Sunni mosque in Tehran, and I would support this.

There are also 18 Sunni MPs in Majlis in Iran and 3 Sunnis in the Assembly of Experts (the body technically above the supreme leader): Iranian Sunnis: Political and Social Involvement

3) In hindsight, I agree that this is a sectarian policy and rightfully pisses off Pakistan. But if Pakistani shia want to join a shia militia and fight Daesh then it's up to Pakistan to make this illegal or revoke citizenship if it thinks this is unacceptable. I don't think Pakistan has done either of these things.

Last edited:

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Dear,

1) Back in the 80's this was a very famous incident, and was printed in many Western, Middle Eastern and Pakistani newspapers. I was actually stunned to read this while on a trip to Japan. Irrespective of differences between Sunnis and Shias, I am of the opinion, that differences should not be aired in public.

1a) Shias have been murdered, evidence of Iran's involvement as in the Ormara & Gawadar PC hotel incidents, and others I quoted before. The unceremonious sacking of IRGC commander in April, prior to the visit of the Pakistani PM, was because of this. So if Iran murders shias to further its agenda, ultimaltely, both Shias in PK, and Iran both loose.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Replaces Head of Revolutionary Guards

The sad part is that having been caught crying wolf, now genuine grievances will also not be addressed properly.

Nonetheless, from a very neutral prospective I can see Shias in Pakistan in top positions as mentioned earlier, but none in Iran.

1b) I said there are no Sunni mosques in Tehran, based on the following:

Tehran's authorities destroy Sunni worship space
08/06/2015
While most Iranians follow the Shiite branch of Islam, there are millions of Sunnis who also call Iran their home. However, in the capital Tehran and major cities like Isfahan, Shiraz and Mashhad, this minority religious community is forbidden from having its own mosques. Now, authorities in the capital have also started destroying unofficial prayer Sunni spaces.

Ex Irani President's daughter:

The persecution of Sunnis in Iran is well documented, and one can see that none exist within the upper echelons, of the Govt or military, but I'm always open to correction. Btw 9 mosques in Tehran for 5m+ Sunnis is quite a shame.

3) Fight via Proxy Militias, is an old Irani tactic, be it Hezbollah, Fatimiyoun (Afghani) Militia, or Zainbaiyoun Militia. Nonetheless, the Pakistani state has decided not to take this one lightly, and has banned people from joining any militias.. As of now, they have not publicly declared the exact course of action, so I will not comment any further.

The loop hole of people joining exists, because they exit the country under various pretexts, ranging from seeking employment, to visiting holy sites in Iran / Iraq. Capping this, would be a drastic action, but one that I believe is under consideration.

Persian Gulf

Reactions
104 1 0
Country
Iran
1a) Shias have been murdered, evidence of Iran's involvement as in the Ormara & Gawadar PC hotel incidents, and others I quoted before. The unceremonious sacking of IRGC commander in April, prior to the visit of the Pakistani PM, was because of this. So if Iran murders shias to further its agenda, ultimaltely, both Shias in PK, and Iran both loose.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Replaces Head of Revolutionary Guards

The sad part is that having been caught crying wolf, now genuine grievances will also not be addressed properly.

Nonetheless, from a very neutral prospective I can see Shias in Pakistan in top positions as mentioned earlier, but none in Iran.

1b) I said there are no Sunni mosques in Tehran, based on the following:

Tehran's authorities destroy Sunni worship space
08/06/2015
While most Iranians follow the Shiite branch of Islam, there are millions of Sunnis who also call Iran their home. However, in the capital Tehran and major cities like Isfahan, Shiraz and Mashhad, this minority religious community is forbidden from having its own mosques. Now, authorities in the capital have also started destroying unofficial prayer Sunni spaces.

Ex Irani President's daughter:

The persecution of Sunnis in Iran is well documented, and one can see that none exist within the upper echelons, of the Govt or military, but I'm always open to correction. Btw 9 mosques in Tehran for 5m+ Sunnis is quite a shame.

3) Fight via Proxy Militias, is an old Irani tactic, be it Hezbollah, Fatimiyoun (Afghani) Militia, or Zainbaiyoun Militia. Nonetheless, the Pakistani state has decided not to take this one lightly, and has banned people from joining any militias.. As of now, they have not publicly declared the exact course of action, so I will not comment any further.

The loop hole of people joining exists, because they exit the country under various pretexts, ranging from seeking employment, to visiting holy sites in Iran / Iraq. Capping this, would be a drastic action, but one that I believe is under consideration.
1a) That is Iran murdering shias? Not even Pakistan made that accusation. Only that such militant groups were operating on/or trained on Iran's side of the border. But Iran has frequently made the same complaint about Pakistan - Balochistan border region is quite lawless and fertile ground for terrorism on both sides.
1b) That is an isolated incident that Iran clarified was because of a lack of building permit. There is plenty of proof online of Sunni-led mosques in Tehran that continue to operate just fine. Although I agree that the demolition was an unjustified (and probably sectarian) act, but I don't agree it is evidence than Iran destroys all Sunni mosques in Tehran or evidence that there are no Sunni Mosques in Tehran. In some Sunni parts of Iran there are no Shia mosques, so the Shia pray in the Sunni mosques btw. But of course I support a specific Sunni mosque in Tehran and oppose any sectarian opposition to this.

As for Faezeh, I agree with a lot of what she said in the video about Iran's structural problems and IRGC, but not about some of the rest. I think she is a very important and good voice for reform in Iran for the record. For example, she concedes that Iran does indeed have Sunni mosques and military officers etc, but apparently it doesn't count if it's in their "own" area (so she agrees that Sunnis have their own areas in Iran with their own mosques and governors etc...). I agree that there is discrimination against Sunnis on an institutional level in Iran, I would never deny this. Just that a lot of what some people say are based on propaganda distortions. However, I don't want to whitewash the problem which definitely exists, but not just for Sunnis - for many groups (Baha'i is the biggest and worst in my opinion).

As to Sunnis in upper echelons in Iran, there are many Sunni Iranians in Parliament as I mentioned, but you are correct that there is no representation in the upper levels like the cabinet. Ironically, Rouhani talked a lot about equality and Sunnis voted for Rouhani, but his cabinet disappointed even his reformist base so forget about the Sunnis. There is some progress (Iran appoints Sunni woman as ambassador to Brunei) but of course it is far too little and the larger institutional discrimination still prevails.

But for Sunni mosques, I don't think 5m Sunnis live in Tehran... Most Sunnis live in Kemanshah, Balochistan, Kurdistan, Hormozgan not Tehran.

3) I think all the powers in this region uses proxies, KSA has tried to use and funded many proxies over the years. As I understand it the initial motivation was to defend Shia shrines abroad, which I think should be allowed. But I understand Pakistan taking action against shias fighting in groups loyal to a foreign power (like Iran) or for Assad.