Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Pakistan’s Submarine Fleet is a Navy SEAL’s Dream
Perfect for special ops.
by Caleb Larson

1589115349300.png

Though small and non-nuclear, Pakistan’s submarine fleet would excel at coastal defense in Pakistan’s littoral waters—and inserting Special Service Teams, Pakistan’s Navy Seals.

Agosta- and Agosta 90B-class
Pakistan operates five French-designed Agosta-class submarines. The first of these hulls were initially built for the South African Navy, but were sold to Pakistan in the late 1970s and early 1980s after a United Nations arms embargo prevented their delivery. The Agosta-class is a relatively small diesel-electric submarine design with a crew complement of just 54 sailors and 5 officers.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, France revisited the Agosta-class design and built the “improved” Agosta-class, also known as Agosta 90B-class, in consultation with the Pakistani Navy. A high level of automation within the sub reduced the crew to just 36, despite the larger size and higher complexity of the design.

Stronger hull materials were used during the hull’s construction which increased the Agosta 90B-class’ maximum dive depth. Higher-capacity batteries were also installed, increasing the range of the sub, and acoustic improvements were also incorporated into the propulsion system, reducing the submarine’s acoustic signature.

Standard diesel-electric submarines use periscope-like snorkels to provide air to onboard diesel generators that recharge their batteries. Newer designs, including the Agosta 90B-class, are equipped with air-independent propulsion systems that can provide power without needing air from the surface.

The Agosta 90B-class’ AIP system provides auxiliary power to the sub that can be used for propulsion, onboard electrical systems, or recharging the sub’s batteries—allowing the Agosta 90B-class to be submerged three times longer than the preceding Agosta-class.

Both classes have four standard 533 millimeter torpedo tubes that provide anti-submarine and anti-surface capabilities. Additionally, both the Agosta- and Agosta 90B-class can fire French-developed Exocet anti-ship missiles via their torpedo tubes.

The Exocet has a range of around 70 kilometers, or about 45 miles, giving both classes a more discrete and stand-off anti-ship capability, as the missile is fired from depth in a watertight container that brings the missile to the surface.

In addition, Pakistan has several interesting submarines that are on the smaller side.

Cosmos-class
Pakistan also operates a small fleet of Italian-designed midget submarines, the Cosmos-class. The Cosmos are also diesel-electric and serve primarily as delivery vehicles for Pakistan’s Special Service Group, their Navy SEAL-equivalent.

Though not primarily intended for attacking surface vessels, the Cosmos-class is capable of firing standard 533 millimeter torpedoes in addition to carrying two Special Service Teams.

Mystery Sub
Pakistan’s newest submarine is also quite small, and likely intended for the Special Service Group in much the same role as the Cosmos-class..

The submarine, provisionally called the X-class, is about 55 feet long and 7 or 8 feet wide. Though it reportedly does not often leave its dock, satellite imagery shows that repair, maintenance, and construction is ongoing.

There had also been reports that Turkey was partnering with Pakistan to co-develop a midget submarine to replace the Cosmos-class, though if anything came to fruition from that project is unclear.

Small but Strong
Though Pakistan’s navy is not particularly large, it may not matter. Pakistan doesn’t have a terribly large coast to defend. If their latest “X-class” sub ever comes to fruition, the Special Service Teams would likely be pleased.

Caleb Larson holds a Master of Public Policy degree from the Willy Brandt School of Public Policy. He lives in Berlin and writes on U.S. and Russian foreign and defense policy, German politics, and culture

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
If i am not wrong we have total 5 subs right now, out of which 4 are operational, one is in upgrades process under turks. So 4 sub are enough for pakistan at moment ?

Because 8 chines sub will join around 2022

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
If i am not wrong we have total 5 subs right now, out of which 4 are operational, one is in upgrades process under turks. So 4 sub are enough for pakistan at moment ?

Pakistan should have enough subs to wreak havoc on the indian costs if a war occurred. We dont have nearly enough to be boosting as such.

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan

Hi,

The first one would join in 2022---possibly one every year after that till 8 are delivered---.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
How many of these air independent Agosta 90B-class boats does Pakistan operate. ( maybe I missed it in the article)

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
How many of these air independent Agosta 90B-class boats does Pakistan operate. ( maybe I missed it in the article)
3, 1 is undergoing upgrades in Turkey, once it is delivered and reaches FOC, the remaining two will be upgraded.

Ertugral

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
Pakistan
3, 1 is undergoing upgrades in Turkey, once it is delivered and reaches FOC, the remaining two will be upgraded.

Page 18, 2nd last row
Pakistam 3 Submarines delivery date 2018 to 2020 from HDW shipyard Germany unconfirmed

official SAAB document.
https://saabgroup.com/globalassets/corporate/investor-relations/cmd/cmd15_naval-business.pdf

@Khafee Can you shed some light on it? It says 3 Submarines to be delivered to Pakistan by 2020 from Germany but also says unconfirmed in the end. document source is authentic.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Page 18, 2nd last row
Pakistam 3 Submarines delivery date 2018 to 2020 from HDW shipyard Germany unconfirmed

official SAAB document.
https://saabgroup.com/globalassets/corporate/investor-relations/cmd/cmd15_naval-business.pdf

@Khafee Can you shed some light on it? It says 3 Submarines to be delivered to Pakistan by 2020 from Germany but also says unconfirmed in the end. document source is authentic.

Hi,

Deal got approved thru the german parliament with great difficulty and then pakistan stepped back from the deal---.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Deal got approved thru the german parliament with great difficulty and then pakistan stepped back from the deal---.
Why Pakistan backup due to some limitations in sub for export, financial issue most probably or kickbacks not settled?

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Why Pakistan backup due to some limitations in sub for export, financial issue most probably or kickbacks not settled?

Hi,

Since Zarari came into power---you are entering the middle stages of SABOTAGE on pakistan's major weapon's purchase.

Musharraf's time was second part of the sabotage when the Paf did not show any urgency in buying a potent platform and rather snubbed Gen Musharraf at every chance they got---.

The third stage came during the Nawaz era---and is still continuing after the 27th feb incidence---.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Since Zarari came into power---you are entering the middle stages of SABOTAGE on pakistan's major weapon's purchase.

Musharraf's time was second part of the sabotage when the Paf did not show any urgency in buying a potent platform and rather snubbed Gen Musharraf at every chance they got---.

The third stage came during the Nawaz era---and is still continuing after the 27th feb incidence---.
Don't know , but seems tops on PAF want to earn as much as possible by thandar phobia, may be i am wrong but my feeling is this thandar drama is to much hyped for personal financial gians.

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Don't know , but seems tops on PAF want to earn as much as possible by thandar phobia, may be i am wrong but my feeling is this thandar drama is to much hyped for personal financial gians.

Hi,

If I had a say in the thunder program---I would have kept the programe quiet for the longest that I could---meaning I would have flown the aircraft---put out the information but would not have made the sale pitch---.

Created a package for the midle eastern buyer with european EW package engine and radar and one with the chinese EW and the russian engine---.

Scorpio

Reactions
3,018 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

If I had a say in the thunder program---I would have kept the programe quiet for the longest that I could---meaning I would have flown the aircraft---put out the information but would not have made the sale pitch---.

Created a package for the midle eastern buyer with european EW package engine and radar and one with the chinese EW and the russian engine---.
Agree bro, i am not against thin thundar product its very good jet in its owm category.
Secondly giving us self reliance somehow, as your said it can provide opportunities to earn for export to be self independent
My problem is that is project as state of art product for our poor awan (having very less info of aviation).
Thay think and sometimes goes in debates about this product, that its enough we need nothing more, it can beat out any thing bla bla
Same concept seems to be given in Top management by project heads... but we have to accept reality its good product in its own categories that is still young and have limitations we need something more heavier and advance along it for our future and Preset