Pakistan Army is the most battle-hardened army, says COAS | World Defense

Pakistan Army is the most battle-hardened army, says COAS

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Pakistan Army is the most battle-hardened army, says COAS | PAKISTAN - geo.tv

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif on Friday said Pakistan Army is the most battle-hardened army and its achievements against terrorism are globally recognised.

He said this while witnessing the concluding ceremony of the third Physical Agility and Combat Efficiency Championship held near Attock today.

All teams participated with extra ordinary vigor and demonstrated highest level of motivation, agility and physical fitness, said a press release issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

Emphasizing on the need of physical fitness for a soldier, the Army Chief appreciated the phenomenal performance, competitive spirit and efforts of both trainers and trainees in achieving remarkable standards.

“Physical fitness helps in improving self-confidence and competence of a soldier. It is heartening to note that Pakistan Army soldiers are way above the international standards laid- down to judge the physical efficiency,” he said while addressing the attendees.

He appreciated the soldiers setting new records and encouraged them to participate in national and international events. Gen Raheel emphasized that focused training was the heart and soul of combat readiness and contributes positively towards success on the battlefield.

“Pakistan Army is the most battle-hardened Army,” said the COAS.

“Our overwhelming achievements in fight against terrorism, speak volumes of our professional competence and same has been acknowledged globally. We have to strive hard to maintain that level and keep improving our combat efficiency and that is only possible through rigorous training.”

The COAS also awarded trophies to winner and runner up teams and medals for best individual performances. Sepoy Ali Raza was declared overall best player of the Championship, whereas Sepoy Muhammad Waqas and Sepoy Sabir Hussain secured 2nd and 3rd positions respectively.

Earlier on arrival, the Army Chief was received by Inspector General Training & Evaluation Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Indeed, their armed forces with their lower budget are competent/battle hardened. Not just against insurgency but there are a number of incidents with India. Pakistan can't afford to turn blind eye to quality of their forces.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Indeed, their armed forces with their lower budget are competent/battle hardened. Not just against insurgency but there are a number of incidents with India. Pakistan can't afford to turn blind eye to quality of their forces.

Military dictatorship

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Military dictatorship

Not really, the military is definitely important because the country is nuclear armed and has nuclear neighbor. So army leadership/positions should be appointed by army rather than appoint someone with little background that is loyal to government. The military is its own sector and should be separated from government. This is how we do it in Palestine, sometimes military wings make decisions on their own. And military wing won't allow political wings to enter any agreement without their approval. This way we make sure none of our legal rights are sold off. In Egypt, government controls military, hence the military doesn't do the country a favor, it only serves the current dictatorship. So you have basically a corrupt business arise out of this, and hence the army won't be prepared for any major conflict. Like Syrian army, most leadership was chosen just for being Alawite, now look how their military broke down so quickly that they needed foreign militias.

And then we have other Arab nations including yours which follow this path, what we end up with is militaries with the necassary equipment but no functioning structure to make efficient army.

I personally favor military taking the important decisions in most cases. Unless the military is just a different face for the government like in Egypt.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Not really, the military is definitely important because the country is nuclear armed and has nuclear neighbor. So army leadership/positions should be appointed by army rather than appoint someone with little background that is loyal to government. The military is its own sector and should be separated from government. This is how we do it in Palestine, sometimes military wings make decisions on their own. And military wing won't allow political wings to enter any agreement without their approval. This way we make sure none of our legal rights are sold off. In Egypt, government controls military, hence the military doesn't do the country a favor, it only serves the current dictatorship. So you have basically a corrupt business arise out of this, and hence the army won't be prepared for any major conflict. Like Syrian army, most leadership was chosen just for being Alawite, now look how their military broke down so quickly that they needed foreign militias.

And then we have other Arab nations including yours which follow this path, what we end up with is militaries with the necassary equipment but no functioning structure to make efficient army.

I personally favor military taking the important decisions in most cases. Unless the military is just a different face for the government like in Egypt.

You have a point but the issue is that in case of Pakistan, most of government funds go to the military while things like education, infrastructure, economy...etc are neglected.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I hope the Philippines would invite the Pakistan army not for military support but for training and evaluation on how they have countered terrorism. Our country has 2 major rebel groups - the MILF of the Muslims and the NPA in the Christian areas. The government forces seem to have no match to those 2 rebel groups. One big issue was the murder of 44 special action force cops who ventured in the Muslim areas. Imagine, that special action force has more than 200 cops in full battle gear and they were routed by just a few MILF rebels.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
I hope the Philippines would invite the Pakistan army not for military support but for training and evaluation on how they have countered terrorism. Our country has 2 major rebel groups - the MILF of the Muslims and the NPA in the Christian areas. The government forces seem to have no match to those 2 rebel groups. One big issue was the murder of 44 special action force cops who ventured in the Muslim areas. Imagine, that special action force has more than 200 cops in full battle gear and they were routed by just a few MILF rebels.

Well first evaluate the social issues/disputes and assess what is inspiring separatism. In some cases it simply can't be stopped. Every situation is different, for example look in Iraq, Kurds basically have the north to them and government is tolerating it because it can't do much especially regarding ISIS insurgency. It is not the time to settle such disputes with Kurds. In Pakistan, the situation is partially local but also related to past conflicts in Afghanistan. It has lots of experience dealing with militancy but doesn't mean it has 100% local support. Sometimes you just have to deal with some of your people having different perspectives. In Pakistan most people will usually blame certain tribes for security problems, I'm not sure which exact ones but I know there are Baloch, Pashtun, etc...things like that.

For your case, I would firstly suggest diplomacy. But in terms of training evaulation, it may that your forces not familiar with MILF controlled areas/topography and possibly MILF rebels have local support giving positions of special forces. Or it could be atrributed to lack of experience/failed security procedures. Pakistan/US/Jordan can help in this regard.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Falcon29, thank you for spending time on the issue of rebellion in the Philippines. Since the very beginning of the rebellion movement, diplomacy has been in practice but to no avail. The rebels are so stubborn and they seem to have made rebellion their career. And you are right in thinking that our military is not well versed with the terrain such that they have a hard time entering the rebel territory. And would you believe that those rebels are collecting taxes from some business companies near their territory?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
@Falcon29, thank you for spending time on the issue of rebellion in the Philippines. Since the very beginning of the rebellion movement, diplomacy has been in practice but to no avail. The rebels are so stubborn and they seem to have made rebellion their career. And you are right in thinking that our military is not well versed with the terrain such that they have a hard time entering the rebel territory. And would you believe that those rebels are collecting taxes from some business companies near their territory?

I have to learn about the conflict, sadly I have no idea about it. But yes, it's not surprising they collect taxes otherwise they can't function as defacto state.

jazzyjazz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Pakistan
You have a point but the issue is that in case of Pakistan, most of government funds go to the military while things like education, infrastructure, economy...etc are neglected.
I am from Pakistan and I can assure you that every sector under political supervision including education, health and power generation is suffering not because of less money spent on them but because our politicians are so corrupt that they don't let a penny get invested on things that matter and just fill their pockets. No other democracy gives its development funds to parliament members and the amazing thing is that these funds are never audited. So it's not the army or it's budget that is the problem, it's our political mafia that has been sucking the life blood out of my country.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
I am from Pakistan and I can assure you that every sector under political supervision including education, health and power generation is suffering not because of less money spent on them but because our politicians are so corrupt that they don't let a penny get invested on things that matter and just fill their pockets. No other democracy gives its development funds to parliament members and the amazing thing is that these funds are never audited. So it's not the army or it's budget that is the problem, it's our political mafia that has been sucking the life blood out of my country.

You need an Arab spring kind of movement to overthrow the corrupted politicians. Pakistan has a lot of sources underneath but why they are not digging them out is the thing that I don't really understand.

jazzyjazz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Pakistan
@Legend. Pakistan is a rich country if you look at our natural resources. We have many rivers which flood us every single year but we do not build dams. In fact the last big dam built was in the 60's. We have potential of being a world famous tourist's heaven and places like Neelam valley, Silk road, Deosai plains and Fairy meadows are a few examples of that. Our country is rich with underground resources but we never dig them up. Instead our politicians roam the world begging from other countries and filling their pockets. I hope to see the day when these thieves are publicly executed.