UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Pakistan behind rise of international jihadi forces: NYT

Mansour-Zawahri_2727660f.jpg

Reuters, AP
The AfPak “region’s triumvirate of violent jihad — (Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour (left), Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri (right) and Sirajuddin Haqqani, the leader of the Haqqani network — is living openly in Pakistan,” the New York Times’ North Africa correspondent Carlotta Gall wrote in an Op-Ed article on Sunday. File photos

"(Pakistan’s) intelligence service has long acted as the manager of international mujahedeen forces, and there is even speculation that it may have been involved in the rise of the Islamic State".
Pakistan’s powerful intelligence service has long acted as the “manager” of international jihadi forces and it may have been involved in the rise of the ISIS, a leading U.S. daily on Sunday said, in a stinging commentary on Pakistan’s “intervention” in a number of foreign conflicts.

Underlining that experts have found “a lot of evidence” that Pakistan facilitated the Taliban offensive, an op-ed in the New York Times said, “This behaviour is not just an issue for Afghanistan. Pakistan is intervening in a number of foreign conflicts.”

“Its intelligence service has long acted as the manager of international mujahedeen forces, many of them Sunni extremists, and there is even speculation that it may have been involved in the rise of the Islamic State.”

It said that though Pakistan denies harbouring the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, and points out that it, too, is a victim of terrorism, “many analysts have detailed how the military has nurtured Islamist militant groups as an instrument to suppress nationalist movements, in particular among the Pashtun minority, at home and abroad.”

“Pakistan regards Afghanistan as its backyard. Determined not to let its archrival, India, gain influence there, and to ensure that Afghanistan remains in the Sunni Islamist camp, Pakistan has used the Taliban selectively, promoting those who further its agenda and cracking down on those who don’t. The same goes for Al-Qaeda and other foreign fighters,” wrote Carlotta Gall, the North Africa correspondent for NYT.

It said there are reports that Pakistan had a role in the rise of the Islamic State.

”....it might come as a surprise that the region’s triumvirate of violent jihad is living openly in Pakistan,” Ms. Gall said as she listed out top terrorist leaders living openly in Pakistan.

“First, there’s Sirajuddin Haqqani, the leader of the Haqqani network, and second in command of the Taliban. He moves freely around Pakistan, and has even visited the Pakistani intelligence headquarters of the Afghan campaign in Rawalpindi,” she said.

Then there is the new leader of the Taliban, Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour, who has openly assembled meetings of his military and leadership council near the Pakistani town of Quetta, the author said.

“Finally, Al-Qaeda’s leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, enjoys sanctuary in Pakistan — one recent report placed him in the southwestern corner of Baluchistan. He has been working to establish training camps in southern Afghanistan,” Ms. Gall wrote.

The daily alleged that the madrasas in Pakistan, “a longtime instrument of Pakistani intelligence, has been training people from the ethnic minorities of northern Afghanistan alongside its standard clientele of Pashtuns”.

“The aim is still to win control of northern Afghanistan through these young graduates. From there they have their eyes on Central Asia and western China. Pakistani clerics are educating and radicalising Chinese Uighurs as well, along with Central Asians from the former Soviet republics,” Ms. Gall said.

Pakistan, she alleged, was “cooperating with Qatar, and perhaps others, to move international Sunni jihadists (including 300 Pakistanis) from Pakistan’s tribal areas, where they were no longer needed, to new battlefields in Syria”.

“It is just another reminder of Pakistan’s central involvement in creating and managing violent jihadist groups,” she quoted an unnamed Pakistani politician as saying.

“No one has held Pakistan to account for this behaviour. Why would Pakistan give it up now?” Ms. Gall said.

Pakistan behind rise of international Jihadi forces: NYT - The Hindu

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry to say this and I hope Muslims will not take it personally. It seems that Islamic nations are having a problem with the extremists in their fold. Isn't it about time that they admit the problem so they can work on it? If those jihadists are disguised as rebel groups then the government army can get to them so the movement can be cracked. What's sad is that jihadists are almost everywhere now.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I'm sorry to say this and I hope Muslims will not take it personally. It seems that Islamic nations are having a problem with the extremists in their fold. Isn't it about time that they admit the problem so they can work on it? If those jihadists are disguised as rebel groups then the government army can get to them so the movement can be cracked. What's sad is that jihadists are almost everywhere now.

I don't think you get the message. The U.S was behind the creation of Al-qaeda/Taliban during the soviet war and when the war ended they turned against them and when Taliban fought back the U.S started to label everyone as a terrorist. Then comes the 9/11 event and that resulted to the invasion of Iraq and the people of Iraq who resisted the U.S invasion were also labeled as terrorists. And then comes ISIS, the U.S released the current ISIS leader from prison back in 2009 and then went to fight him. And here the NYT is accusing Pakistan of spreading terror when in reality the U.S is behind all the mess you see today. When it comes to Christians slaughtering muslims in Africa, buddhists slaughtering Muslims in Burma we hear nothing from the western media as whole.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think you get the message. The U.S was behind the creation of Al-qaeda/Taliban during the soviet war and when the war ended they turned against them and when Taliban fought back the U.S started to label everyone as a terrorist. They comes the 9/11 event and that resulted to the invasion of Iraq when the people of Iraq who resist the U.S invasion were also labeled as terrorists. And then comes ISIS, the U.S released the current ISIS leader from prison back in 2009 and then go to fight them. And here the NYT is accusing Pakistan of spreading terror when in reality the U.S is behind all the mess you see today. When it comes to Christians slaughtering muslims in Africa, buddhists slaughtering Muslims in Burma we hear nothing from the western media as whole.

As I had said in my posts, it seems thatIslamic nations are having a problem with the extremists in their fold. My point is not who is to blame but how to stop the terrorism brought about by the jihadists. If you will carefully read my post, my message is for the Islamic nations to curtail the terrorism because as I see it, only they can do that. No matter if the US has started the problem. My point is the solution and not the root.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
As I had said in my posts, it seems thatIslamic nations are having a problem with the extremists in their fold. My point is not who is to blame but how to stop the terrorism brought about by the jihadists. If you will carefully read my post, my message is for the Islamic nations to curtail the terrorism because as I see it, only they can do that. No matter if the US has started the problem. My point is the solution and not the root.

Well then you need to open your eyes further more to see how all Islamic nations are effected by terrorism more than anyone else and all are in the frontline fighting terror on different levels. Muslims don't live in different world we all live on same plant under one umbral so we all as world countries have to work hand in hand to eradicate terror once and for all. But what do when you have world power supporting terror for the sake of their own interests! That I think is the core issue we need to solve. World power support different groups against each other and from there terrorism appear.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
World power support different groups against each other and from there terrorism appear.

That is what I see why the war in Syria is far from being resolved. World powers particularly Russia and the US are torn between the Syrian government and the Syrian rebels while ISIS seems to be just watching on the sidelines. If the world powers will continue with that style then the war may just escalate with no resolution in sight.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Further proof that the media hardly ever reports the truth. What we hear from them is the version of the truth the government wants us to hear. Distort the facts, have them believe someone else is to blame for mistakes the government has made. They definitely do a great job manipulating people. Blame the Pakistanis. Heck, most people will believe the lies. Just point out that Pakistanis are Muslims. The West has embraced Islamophobia and it's things like this [false accusations] that will alienate even their closest allies in Asia and the Middle East.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think you get the message. The U.S was behind the creation of Al-qaeda/Taliban during the soviet war and when the war ended they turned against them and when Taliban fought back the U.S started to label everyone as a terrorist. Then comes the 9/11 event and that resulted to the invasion of Iraq and the people of Iraq who resisted the U.S invasion were also labeled as terrorists. And then comes ISIS, the U.S released the current ISIS leader from prison back in 2009 and then went to fight him. And here the NYT is accusing Pakistan of spreading terror when in reality the U.S is behind all the mess you see today. When it comes to Christians slaughtering muslims in Africa, buddhists slaughtering Muslims in Burma we hear nothing from the western media as whole.
The US indirectly created them, but I wouldn't say that the "big evil corporate US" was responsible. They didn't just become terrorists overnight because of the big evil US of A. In fact, I would say that the Middle East was doomed even before the Soviet-Afghan war. Pretty interesting, though, that people like Osama used to be considered pro-West freedom fighters.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Oh no, not another Jihadi force. Lord knows we could do without another of these groups. I am wondering, however, if this new group will support activities like suicide bombings. Will we once more surprised by another devastating action somewhere across the world and then there is a report that this group will be claiming responsibility?

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Pakistan is two states in one - one if the politicians you see everyday out in the open. And one is the deep dark state run by ISI. Both work in opposite directions. So when the NYT points this out, its not wrong. Just that the people of Pak are not responsible for the lunes coming out of the tribal regions.

Pakistan has exported Talibanis to both Afghanistan and India for a long time, and there own former president has accepted Haqqani and Osama as their "heroes":
Also, you can search for declassified docs on CIA's website to know about pak's role: The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan, 2001–2014 — Central Intelligence Agency

Finally, the reason why Iran has gained prominence in the past few years is because the on multiple occassions Pakistan blocked supplies to US troops stationed in Afghanistan:
Pakistan block NATO supply route to Afghanistan after air strike kills 3 troops | Daily Mail Online
Pakistan stops NATO supplies after deadly raid| Reuters

The US needed to keep supply lines open. Imagine troops going a week without supplies. The above articles may seem like, "hey NATO forces attacked Paki troops" but they don't tell you that the reason why helicopters went their was because they followed terrorists, who used the porous border as a way to get away from attacks in Afghanistan and they did that in full view of the Pak army.

Sure, the US helped create most of the Terror orgs we know about, but that doesn't mean that Pak needs to continue feeding the Jehadi agenda created by the US. It has had no benefits for Pak. The US did not respect Pak's sovereignty, it has extended its friendship to India(the sworn enemy of Pakistani military), and it has undermined Pak on the international stage repeatedly. I think its time for Pak to have an independent foreign policy that doesn't involve non-state actors being used for achieving strategic objectives.