BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Rahul Udoshi, Bangalore and James Hardy, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
02 February 2015
1573285_-_main.jpg

Pakistan test-fired its Ra'ad (Haatf 8) air-launched cruise missile (ALCM) on 2 February, according to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement. Source: ISPR
Pakistan successfully tested what it described as the "indigenously developed" Ra'ad air-launched cruise missile (ALCM) on 2 February, according to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement.

The 4.85 m-long, nuclear-capable Ra'ad was launched from an undisclosed air platform and was the fifth successful test firing to be announced. All previous tests, the most recent of which was on 31 May 2012, were conducted using an upgraded Dassault Mirage III ROSE aircraft.

The 350 km-range missile enables Pakistan to achieve "strategic standoff capability" on land and at sea, the Pakistan Army said.

Lieutenant General Zubair Mahmood Hayat, director general of the Strategic Plans Division, described it as a major step towards strengthening Pakistan's full spectrum credible minimum deterrence. This is aimed at achieving strategic stability in the region, he added.

The test took place two days after India tested a canister-based version of its nuclear-capable Agni 5 missile, which has a range of 5,000 km.

COMMENT

IHS Jane's Air Launched Weapons describes the Ra'ad (also known as the Hatf 8 or Hatf VIII) as "part of Pakistan's wide-reaching strategic missile development programme that includes short-, medium-, and intermediate-range ballistic missiles and ground-launched cruise missiles".

Air Launched Weapons also notes that the Ra'ad bears a resemblance to several proposed South African stand-off weapon projects such as MUPSOW and Torgos, and that Pakistan and South Africa have previously worked together in advanced weapons development. "Kentron (now Denel) has already supplied its Raptor powered glide bomb to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and the extension of that relationship to include more advanced weapons would seem to be a logical step," it notes.

The first Ra'ad test launch was announced on 25 August 2007. It was conducted over the Rawalpindi test range. Pakistan television footage showed the missile under a Mirage IIIEA ROSE-1 during take-off and in flight. Missile release and engine start were shown, followed by in-flight filming of the missile. It is not known if this test represented the first flight of the weapon, or was simply a point in an ongoing test programme. A second launch was reported in May 2008, a third in April 2011, and the fourth in May 2012.

Pakistan tests Ra'ad ALCM - IHS Jane's 360

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
What platform was used to fire this missiles? If it was the F-16 then that is huge achievement integrating home made missiles to a foreigner fighter jet.

Off topic. Pakistanis are becoming very rude toward people of GCC I noticed lately. I don't know how to describe it. jealously or hate. I have changed my perception of them. I use to admire them a lot but fuck not anymore.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Pakistan is getting missiles like this? That is good for them, but at the same time it is going to make me wonder what kind of instability this can start to bring to the region. It seems that India has been on edge with Pakistan for quite some time, but with this type of new weapon coming online can it lead to more stability or instability?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Pakistan is getting missiles like this? That is good for them, but at the same time it is going to make me wonder what kind of instability this can start to bring to the region. It seems that India has been on edge with Pakistan for quite some time, but with this type of new weapon coming online can it lead to more stability or instability?

These missiles are directed to India. They are nuclear capable but I don't expect Pakistan to arm them with nuclear warheads for the fact that the two stats are right next to each other and if such missiles were to be fired either, the radiation will affect both.

Its hard to tell that Pakistan is going to war with India. The current status quo will remain as is.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I am glad to see the status quo will remain the same. It is interesting, though, hearing about this information here. I know the US intelligence community has the information, but they do not share it and because it does not directly impact the American economy it is never mentioned.

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
They are still miles behind US technology be honest the US only reveals a small percentage of what they're capable of doing eventually they're going to realize that their technology pales in comparison.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
They are still miles behind US technology be honest the US only reveals a small percentage of what they're capable of doing eventually they're going to realize that their technology pales in comparison.

You should tell us in details and from a technical point of view how the US ALCM are different from the ones Pakistan has instead of saying my daddy has a better tattoo.