Pakistan's parliament votes for military courts to try insurgents | World Defense

Pakistan's parliament votes for military courts to try insurgents

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Pakistan's parliament votes for military courts to try insurgents| Reuters
(Reuters) - Pakistan's parliament on Tuesday passed legislation allowing military courts to try insurgents, one of a raft of measures aimed at clamping down on increasingly brutal attacks after Taliban gunmen massacred 134 children last month.

This according to the news article is because Civilian courts are terrified of trying and jailing militants either [I'm supposing] because they risk being targeted for retaliation by other militants or they'll be bribed to free the accused. If that's what it will take for justice to be served then I support the vote to use military courts though there are chances they might abuse their power.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
It's good to see some action being taken over these attacks, however I wonder just how it will play out in the long run, with the military being given of justice now too. And I agree with your point that they might abuse their power at some point or another. I suppose we have to wait and see, and hope that true justice is served.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
There's some danger when you give the military such power. I'm sure that with such courts once a judgment has been passed there are no appeals. Of course that would mean terrorists get what they deserve but what of those few innocent people who may only be suspects but because the military may not have the time to to investigate the matter will still end up being imprisoned or executed? Nonetheless since civilian courts have failed the people then this certainly is the only, albeit, not the best option.

d4rk3n

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
India
This is the only option Pak have as of now. I agree it's a make shift solution but something was needed to be done. Nice to see some bold steps. I hope this doesn't backfire though.