Patriot Act used against Americans | World Defense

Patriot Act used against Americans

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
News from The Associated Press

If new legislation isn't passed with revisions, the Patriot act is due to expire June1, 2015.

Information has been released that the Patriot act has been used to collect phone records and monitor the phone calls of almost every American.

There is a movement in the house to prevent this from going on any longer, but senators previously voted to allow it to continue.

Basically, our right to privacy has been shite on more than we even realized. Amongst claims that the Patriot act is ineffective against terrorism, its opened the door to warrantless spying on every single American. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That is a pretty outrageous thing to do but I'm not going to be so naive as to think it doesn't happen here in the UK. There will be those who, quite rightly, argue that if you're not doing anything wrong there's nothing to worry about but really, this is a gross and unnecessary invasion of public privacy.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If new legislation isn't passed with revisions, the Patriot act is due to expire June1, 2015.
What? With ISIS at the Mexican border?

There's been so much fear-mongering . . . and the purpose was to ensure that the government legally spies on the people they are supposed to serve. I'm sure as more lies are circulated, if there are any revision made to the patriot act then they'll be stripping away more of our civil liberties.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
I hated this stupid Patriot Act from the inception! I always felt like the gov't could use it to spy on American citizens, and diminish our liberties, under the guise of protecting us. This monstrosity needs to be repealed, just like every other piece of crap legislation that's been bandied about over the last 16 years!

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
So many people are willing to sacrifice liberties under the guise of security and protection. Like @missbishi said people want to believe if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. That's probably what all the innocent people in prison thought.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
So many people are willing to sacrifice liberties under the guise of security and protection. Like @missbishi said people want to believe if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. That's probably what all the innocent people in prison thought.

Yes, I bet they did! Whichever way you look at it, it's a gross invasion of privacy and I'm not even certain whether people who claim we have nothing to worry about actually understand the extent to which we are being monitored.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I, reckon this not a good thing as it is being used against the american people and also the spying has been going on in every house to see what is going on and to catch potential rebels before they cause harm. The sadder thing is that, it ends in June and than this could mean the american people will not have rights and privacywhich should not be threatened like it and hope it get's sorted out soon. I wander what will happen in the coming month due to this as, there will be a uproar and also the people will fight the change as well.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
They won't let it expire. I think Obama would prefer it did, but the same people who voted for it before will do what needs to be done to mak sure it doesn't go anyhwhere. It used to be about "with great power comes great responsibility". Then they threw Spider-Man's caution to the wind, and turned it into "with great money comes great power... That will be abused and remain unchecked because it is the to government' job to spy on and control the people, not to protect them and their rights".

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I was just going to say the same thing. I have absolutely no doubt at all that this act will not expire on any given date this year. Or any year in future for that matter.

This act is here to stay, if people like it or not, doesn't make a difference.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I have always had a problem with this. The Patriot act needs to end. This is not patriotic to spy on people's private business and treat all Americans as if they are possible criminals. I hope it does not get renewed, but I don't have much hope. I have very little trust for U.S. government at this point. Continuing is something they would want to do even if the outcry was huge.