Pentagon investigates 'ISIS Threat' to US military | World Defense

Pentagon investigates 'ISIS Threat' to US military

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
BBC News - Pentagon investigates online threat to US military

The Pentagon said that it could not confirm the validity of the list purportedly posted by IS

A list of names and addresses was posted on a website linked to the group alongside a call for them to be killed.

The group said it obtained the information by hacking servers and databases but US officials said most of the data was in the public domain.

A US security source told the BBC that those on the list were being contacted.

The group, which called itself the Islamic State Hacking Division, said the personnel named had participated in US missions against IS.

It urged its supporters in the US to "take the final step" and "deal with" those named.

A US defence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told US media: "I can't confirm the validity of the information, but we are looking into it."

A spokesman for the US Navy's law enforcement agency told the BBC that the personnel would be advised to check their online footprint and adjust their privacy settings.

The US and its allies have been conducting air strikes against Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq since last September.

IS has seized large swathes of territory in both countries. Its brutal tactics, including mass killings and abductions of members of religious and ethnic minorities, have sparked outrage across the world.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I read about this. Assuming it is real I would say this is the big neon sign that says "it's explicative time to explicative do something!" How far are they going to let ISIS take this?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
So what will the US do if the threats are indeed valid? ISIS don't care about what they do and to whom they do it to so I don't know why the big surprise about any threats to the US and its army. It is full time the US stop pussyfooting around the issue and take action.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Oh come on now, they've been "urging vigilance" for months now. When is someone finally going to step up and do something about this?

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt that Isis a threat to the US military. Al Qaeda was a much more well organized group and even they weren't in a major threat to the US military. Isis is a brand-new organization realistically and they don't necessarily have the military capability to outsmart and or fight the US military.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
ISIS has no resource to threaten the US military directly. They are mostly localized in their movements and do things that way. Think of them as indirect provocateurs.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
ISIS has no resource to threaten the US military directly. They are mostly localized in their movements and do things that way. Think of them as indirect provocateurs.

But they might have supporters inside the US.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
ISIS may have a strong following and a recruitment system that effectively convinces troubled teenagers, psychopaths and shallow women, but it seems awfully random and cheap compared to al-Qaeda, Taliban and Jemaah Islamiyah. Anyway, people who don't really know the essence of power are apt to be arrogant, taking on more than they can chew. ISIS has supporters everywhere but even if they grow big in numbers, I doubt they'd be able to threaten the US and defeat its army like for real. It cannot fully defeat a country as small as Iran, how much more a superpower?