Pentagon Moves to Allow Transgender People to Serve Openly in the Military | World Defense

Pentagon Moves to Allow Transgender People to Serve Openly in the Military

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/us/pentagon-plan-would-let-transgender-people-serve-openly.html?_r=0

The Pentagon is moving to allow transgender people to serve openly in the military by early next year and end an “outdated” regulation that harms the armed forces, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said on Monday.

Pentagon officials are to spend the coming months working out the administrative and legal changes needed to remove one of the final barriers to all Americans serving in the military.

If realized, the plan would end what is seen as one of the last discriminatory rules about who can enlist or be commissioned in the American military. It would also be a tacit recognition that thousands of transgender people are already in uniform.

Mr. Carter acknowledged as much in a statement announcing the plan. “We have transgender soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines — real, patriotic Americans — who I know are being hurt by an outdated, confusing, inconsistent approach that’s contrary to our value of service and individual merit,” he said. “The Defense Department’s current regulations regarding transgender service members are outdated and are causing uncertainty that distracts commanders from our core missions.”

Some estimates put the number of transgender people in the military at more than 15,000. Much like the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, which applied to gay men, lesbians and bisexuals until it was lifted in 2011, the current rules have done little to keep transgender people out of the military.

Instead it has forced them into a precarious existence in the ranks: The lucky ones have superiors who are content to look the other way, but the less fortunate must keep their transgender status a secret, leaving themselves open to expulsion if their colleagues were to learn the truth.

Since taking over the Pentagon this year, Mr. Carter has signaled his unhappiness with the current policy, as have other senior civilian defense officials.

Mr. Carter said in his statement on Monday that he was creating a working group that would have six months to assess what impact ending the ban would have on the military. The group will also help come up with ways to train troops to ensure a smooth transition, a senior defense official said.

Despite the formation of the working group, Mr. Carter left little doubt that the decision had been all but formally made to lift the ban.

“At my direction, the working group will start with the presumption that transgender persons can serve openly without adverse impact on military effectiveness and readiness, unless and except where objective, practical impediments are identified,” Mr. Carter said.

The chiefs of the Army, Air Force and Navy and the commandant of the Marine Corps have been briefed on the plan and are not opposed to lifting the ban, a senior defense official said.

Although transgender people are still technically barred from the ranks, the goal is to keep any from being forced out of the military, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the plan with a reporter.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
I do not care what people do in their private lives, ( key word private). However, I think that turning the U.S. military, the greatest fighting force in the world, into a social experiment for political gain, is a huge mistake, and won't end well for a lot of reasons! These people are trained to fight for us! It shouldn't matter whether they wear panties or boxers! I'm so tired of all this crap!

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, it's not only necessary to be legal (that in the case already is), but it will also be necessary for a mentality change and in this case it will take a lot longer I am afraid.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Yes it will be hard, but the only way to get to a different place is through a process of change. It may help if some people who have already progressed in seniority and rank set an example. Statistically speaking it is almost certain that some of them are closeted transgender.

Getting to a place of fairness and equity may not be difficult but I feel the military has the ability to be the flagship institution for getting their, not always excused as not educated enough or too bullying or too reactionary. This is our military full of people able to run the most complex technology that exists and willing to lay down their lives for their country. I think they are a capable, given the right support, of treating people according to their abilities and true individual character not stereotypes about their sexual/racial/gender/age categories.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I can understand that will reflect a clear proof for fairness between the human beings in U.S ,but sorry this is not the proper place for such proof. In military there should be a hard working to put everyone in his rightful position and I can't see anything special in transgender people to allow them while there are thousands of normal people worthy to work in military. In the U.S , you've millions of ordinary people are capable to serve in the military effectively and NORMALLY with their peers.

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
But they do that with everyone Josh, not only the transgender. And let's face it, a transgender that joins the military has to be strong, so he needs to have the capacity to endure it.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
There seem to be some interesting assumptions here that transgender people will be more fragile, or that dressing according to their psychological gender is not normal.

That is exactly why we need full acceptance of transgender people in every part of society. So that everyone realizes transgender people are just like anyone else in every other way, and that presenting themselves as a member of their psychological gender is normal.

AbeLincoln

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Australia
So long as transgender/transsexual male-into-female or female-into-male, is willing to train effectively, trustworthily and bravely to fight for his/her USA country and fellowmen, women, elderly and children. Also, if they will leave behind their "progressive" opinions, lifestyle and transgender choices in their own hometowns and communities. As long as they are willing, in their right and moral mind, to fight the enemies to defend the United States of America and not fellow citizens of America.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
And yet trans people have been serving, without any noticeable issues, for some years under ongoing DADT. And you can't tell me that it was a huge secret that certain soldiers served multiple tours, before and after transitioning, and nobody knew.

Shane Ortega - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Ortega has served three combat tours, two in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, "Two as a Marine and one in the Army. Two as a woman and one as a man."[2] Ortega states, "My commitment to serving this country runs deep, I have been a team and squad leader, a crew chief, and a machine gun section chief."[3]"

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I can tell you right not that trans gender people will not last in the military. In boot camp they will end up quitting because of the bigotry of the other recruits. It will become hell for them. The constant drills by the drill Sargent's will not let up and these people will be targeted for ridicule, because that is the real test for their lifestyles.
What do you think they are dealing with right now? Transgender people are some of the (emotionally & mentally) strongest people in the world. They are ridiculed everytime they step foot outside of their house.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
With the advancement of technology and medical science, the cultural landscape is fast a-changing and traditions are being obsoleted. With the transgender, being accepted now in society particularly with that same-sex marriage law, I guess it should not be a question in military. What's in question is their capability to serve. With a good answer to that, the gender should not matter much.

GeeCee

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Trust me guys, the drill sergeant will push the boundaries of these people in boot camp. They will purposely try to break them. Using the most worst language and mental games will be used in trying to break their mental stability. They needs to prove to them that they are war ready. We can't have transgenders breaking on the battle field.
You're probably right. Then someone will scream discrimination, bullying or some other nonsense, and win the case when they go to court. Count on it. It's going to happen.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
My ex- husband became my ex-wife about 10 or so years ago. Joey died, and Joan was born. And this isn't some fetish. Its a full time thing. She takes hormones which have completely cut off the testosterone production. She has grown her own boobs, even. When we were together "he" never backed down from a fight, and "he" never lost, either. But now? If someone even suggests that they are going to hit her, she's in tears. This is an example of "you couldn't pay her enough to join". However, at the doctor today I saw a woman. Who was referred to as "sir" when she went to get her vitals. This person was over 6ft tall, (I'm guessing). Their voice was deeper than my husband's (who is very, very "he"). And if they weighed less than 250, it wasn't much less. I'm guessing quite a bit more. When the transgender is a f2m tranny, they take male hormones. The exact same hormones an athlete takes when they are juicing, (steroids). I would love to see ANYONE mess with "him".

I'm assuming pre-ops will be in the barracks with the same physical gender people. If this is the case m2f are not going to join. They lack the very thing that would make someone want to join the service. And the f2m will squish anyone they came up against. They are going to consider the exact situation you described. They don't so much as go to the gas station without being prepared to be f*cked with.