Philippine head of state's arrogance! | World Defense

Philippine head of state's arrogance!

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
The Philippine president ditched the commemoration of some over 40 cops who died in their task to capture one of the most wanted terrorists by the America, and because of this he got tons of criticism from his countrymen. He couldn't have come if there were much heavier reason to not do so, but he only attended an inauguration of the newly-opened car manufacturing-plant, the Mitsubishi. Because also of the same said even that he was compared with the head of state of the most powerful country in the world, among the most influencial and poweful man, Barrack Obama, who cancelled his schedule just to meet the familes of those soldiers who've been killed. Now, I think I know why America is such a great country. It's because it got great leaders.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
The President should know how to set his priorities. Though the opening of Mitsubishi plant is also important since it will provide investment and jobs to the people he should have first attended the commemoration of the 44 PNP-SAF member who died in Mamasapano clash. It not just a sign of sympathy but as the head of the chain of command his presence is important because it will show respect to the family of those who have died and the fallen 44. It makes me wondering if does the President has liability to the issue?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
He should have attended the funeral which was important and went to the car opening later or another day, as this was more important to the families and ones who gave their lives in the task they do. People may lose faith in the president and not trust him and try to get rid of him or rebel if he does not do anything to resolve this issue. I think lives was not important to him and wanted the money he should think about the ones who risk their lives so he can sleep at night which he has not done.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
That's what you call "failed decision-making." It's really frustrating that we have a very ineffective President. Filipinos just got to have more patience, anyway, there's only one more year left in his term, and we will soon be free from his not-so-good leadership.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
That's a tricky decision for any leader to make, whether to inaugurate an economically valuable manufacturing plant and be seen as an industrialist or to attend a commemoration for dead police officers and gain public approval. But the visit to the manufacturing plant could have been rescheduled with little consequence, while the commemoration was a one-time opportunity to take credit for reigning in terrorism. However, I don't think this event, at least not in and of itself, indicates anything about his leadership ability.

I would be cautious about placing anyone, let alone a country, on a pedestal. There is certainly no lack of US citizens who would vehemently disagree with your assessment of Obama.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
That's what you call "failed decision-making." It's really frustrating that we have a very ineffective President. Filipinos just got to have more patience, anyway, there's only one more year left in his term, and we will soon be free from his not-so-good leadership.

This would be my response to this. Failed decision making, a Leader cannot be ruled by his emotions and must put his country ahead of him at all costs. That is what that responsibility entails.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
You're giving America way too much credit. As much as I don't like what Aquino did, it's not fair to compare the Philippines with America. We don't even have the same beginnings. They were British immigrants who fought their mother country for independence. We were of Malay, Indonesian and Negrito origins that underwent 333 years of British colonization, 40 years of American subjugation and 4 years of Japanese brutality. PNoy shouldn't have been president - that I agree to a great extent. However, comparing him with the likes of Obama is just not fair. Obama is leading a great nation. PNoy is leading a third world country, struggling to have a name for itself. He's already paying for his blunder, anyway.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Him not showing up for the burial of the fallen SAF Commandos did nothing but worsen his already free-falling reputation. The people can't be blamed for thinking that he's guilty for something which is why he didn't attend. As much as it would please a lot of Filipinos if the plan to oust Aquino actually becomes successful, he will be replaced by Binay who has been accused for amassing unexplained wealth.... complications complications --_=

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
The Philippine president ditched the commemoration of some over 40 cops who died in their task to capture one of the most wanted terrorists by the America, and because of this he got tons of criticism from his countrymen. He couldn't have come if there were much heavier reason to not do so, but he only attended an inauguration of the newly-opened car manufacturing-plant, the Mitsubishi. Because also of the same said even that he was compared with the head of state of the most powerful country in the world, among the most influencial and poweful man, Barrack Obama, who cancelled his schedule just to meet the familes of those soldiers who've been killed. Now, I think I know why America is such a great country. It's because it got great leaders.

This is really frustrating. The worse part is the reason why he didn't attend to the 44 cops when they arrived. His sister, Kris Aquino said that it's because he got some death threats so they didn't let their brother who is the President of the Philippines go to that arrival of the 44. Unbelievable.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is really frustrating. The worse part is the reason why he didn't attend to the 44 cops when they arrived. His sister, Kris Aquino said that it's because he got some death threats so they didn't let their brother who is the President of the Philippines go to that arrival of the 44. Unbelievable.

Washing hands. Washing hands. Excuses indeed. The reason why people are furious right now is that PNOY is not there when people need him the most. When his mere presence can give assurance, a guiding gesture, that somehow he is part of the Philippine population.

Now, can this be the moment Filipinos finally wake up and do something about their voices come election time? Or will we sleep again? Lulled by the talks of Kris Aquino? Hmm?

t's not fair to compare the Philippines with America
I mostly agree with you on this regard. We cannot fairly compare Philippines with America. However, isn't it our aspiration to be recognized as a world class country? If we want that aspiration, we have to be measured with a world class country, and the reaction of their heads of state. Although history is a part of our upbringing and the "us" right now, in what way is our prolonged subjugation part of the reaction of one man? PNOY cannot blame the past for this blunder or how we were under Spanish rule for more than 3 centuries and so on...and be excused. Then again, PNOY does have the penchant to blame the past.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Washing hands. Washing hands. Excuses indeed. The reason why people are furious right now is that PNOY is not there when people need him the most. When his mere presence can give assurance, a guiding gesture, that somehow he is part of the Philippine population.

Now, can this be the moment Filipinos finally wake up and do something about their voices come election time? Or will we sleep again? Lulled by the talks of Kris Aquino? Hmm?

I mostly agree with you on this regard. We cannot fairly compare Philippines with America. However, isn't it our aspiration to be recognized as a world class country? If we want that aspiration, we have to be measured with a world class country, and the reaction of their heads of state. Although history is a part of our upbringing and the "us" right now, in what way is our prolonged subjugation part of the reaction of one man? PNOY cannot blame the past for this blunder or how we were under Spanish rule for more than 3 centuries and so on...and be excused. Then again, PNOY does have the penchant to blame the past.
Again, you let your emotions get the better of your ability to think things through objectively. The Philippines aspires to be a great country - not necessarily to become like America. A better country to aspire to is UK or Germany. Still, even if our country aspires to be like the greats, at the end of the day, we can only become a great country for the Filipinos. In other words, the Philippines "aspiring to be like America" is merely your own assumption devoid of solid verifiable, proof. PNoy is simply washing hands - not using history to excuse himself. Where on earth do you get your analogies?

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think any country should look up to any other country, regardless of being as first-world or third-world country. You should always aspire to be a perfect nation for your inhabitants; not bringing on needed loss or war; dealing with recessions swiftly and effectively - roll with the punches, so to say. Nobody should be giving credit or talking smack on any other country honestly.

Like Tinx said, PNoy is simply washing hands - not using history to excuse himself. It seems like not much was discussed or read before reading this, or the people typing have a very "set-in-stone" mindset. People want to rate and evaluate based on what they've seen, not what they know.

I'm open to a wide range of beliefs and systems. I don't believe by remaining isolated from each other, all doing and going our separate ways - we'll never unify as a single-globally recognized race/entity. Since we have provinces and countries, wars and disputes over territory and nobody truly learns to bridge gaps - I feel a mistake in language, sect, religion, or belief will eventually end up destroying the world from the inside. I just hope this being a 'blunder' or being called out on media channels doesn't effect them as a nation, because then people sitting under the leadership just suffer. I'm admittedly not knowledgeable on this topic, as I do not live in the Philippines, and I have not read up on it. But I think some people can readily understand why ditching a ceremony like that in favor of (well anything else, really) is a bad call and decision by any leader in any country. There's nothing more important than your people. Any good leader knows this.

Society itself isn't bad; but when nobody tries to learn from mistakes of different nations and we get up into a discussion about arrogance that devolves into a poke fest, it's not benefiting anyone. I don't care who tries to say what, but by nature humans (as a whole) do not want to start drama or talk about mass-murdering each other. We're not beings of solitude.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
There's trouble brewing for Aquino. Rumors of people planning to oust the Philippine president is beginning to pose as an actual issue. One of the country's senators even claimed she has intel on the person possibly funding the coup.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
aspiring to be like America
I did not say that Philippines is aspiring to be like America. You are the one that is adding new words to my statements. I said that Philippines is aspiring to be a world class country. America is one though I did not specifically say that we want to be like America. What I mean is that we have to set what standard to aspire to when it comes to be a great nation, which is in line with your thought. We want to be great.

we can only become a great country for the Filipinos
What definition is it to be a great country for Filipinos? First class standards on education, infrastructure, and so on? We have to look up to those ahead of us and learn from them.

PNoy is simply washing hands
He keeps blaming the past for present blunders. I think he is stuck in time. The portion on that analogy is just a play on what is PNoy's penchant to blame the previous administration(s).

I don't think any country should look up to any other country, regardless of being as first-world or third-world country. You should always aspire to be a perfect nation for your inhabitants

We have to be a perfect nation for our inhabitants, but we still need to have standards to set. We have to know what part of the culture we need to improve, and which ones to retain. We have to learn what is the best of another culture, sit down and then think...can we improve our own if we adapt this or that?

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
I agree with sharing intellect, that is not admiration or following in footsteps though. English is a tricky language, I merely meant it as a figure of speech. We need to learn the best to adapt; I concur. But you firsthand have to set up standards. And this is the very concept of the idea - this just showed literally no tact.