Philippines foils Iran plot to hijack Saudi plane | World Defense

Philippines foils Iran plot to hijack Saudi plane

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Philippines foils Iran plot to hijack Saudi plane

RIYADH: Philippine authorities have foiled a bid to hijack a Saudi Arabian Airlines plane at Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
According to a Manila-based newspaper, the authorities thwarted the plan and seized secret documents that confirm the plot.
The paper said a team that included 10 conspirators left Iran recently on separate flights and arrived in several countries in South-East Asia through Turkey. They were plotting to to execute their plan in Malaysia, Indonesia, or the Philippines.
According to the Manila Bulletin, the Saudi Embassy in Manila had asked the airport authorities in Manila to install screening devices to tighten security procedures for passengers traveling on the Saudi aircraft.
Accordingly, the request was submitted to the competent authorities in the Philippines.
Abdulrahman Al-Fahad, a spokesman for Saudi Arabian Airlines, said that the company gives top priority for aircraft security. Aircraft security is an international responsibility, he said.
Aviation security departments at Saudia are working with other agencies to boost security, said the spokesman. “We are in constant contact with all stakeholders to ensure the safety of aircraft and its passengers,” he added.

Philippines foils Iran plot to hijack Saudi plane | Arab News

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Guys I hope this isn't something that was made up to try hurting Iran's image. Just so you know, nobody is believing it. For the life of me I can't understand who is guiding your policies. Saudi+GCC need to find the right people to influence these policies. The monarchies should focus on local affairs, economy and local security. But you need someone else for your foreign policy. Because there are ways you could be more effective. I understand in some arenas like Iraq, it's not possible for you to have influence. You have to work with what you have.

So Syria and Yemen, there is still a long way to go there. If you want to shift momentum your way, you need better policies. This notion of trying to embarrass Iran, or making public statements, or requesting US led action in Syria, is unhelpful and pointless. Start by making the people feel that they belong to you. Like Iran is doing with Shia's and some Sunni's, you need to do with the Sunni's you're trying to influence. Don't just say you don't want Assad because you don't like Iran, actually develop a meaningful connection with the Syrian Sunni people. Let them know that you share a lot in common. Provide support when you can, etc....This is the kind of work that should be done. Once this ideological gap is filled, then the rest will come along.

Right now, I see an unwillingness in Egypt, GCC and Jordan to develop this ideological connection. Instead what you guys are doing, is disregard all Syrian Sunni's, make yourselves appear above them. And try to develop secular force loyal to you. This is a clear lack of cultural connection which Arabs used to have. I've even seen UAE and Egypt sympathize with Russian efforts in Syria. If you hate 2/3 of the Syrian Sunni population for whichever reasons, what's the point of this whole anti-Iran agenda?

The only improvement I've seen is in Saudi Arabia, it is changing it's policies at a somewhat quick pace. It's clearly trying to develop an cultural/ideological connection with the Yemeni people supporting the Hadi government. It does it well. It is somewhat trying to do that with Syrian Sunni's but it needs to improve it a bit. Saudi Arabia however can't go at it alone and Arabs like Egypt, UAE, Jordan, Algeria need to be on your side. But they aren't entirely on your side. Therefore policy makers need to be tasked with developing unity and ideological attachment with Sunni Arab population.

Iran already achieved ideological aspect long ago, and now it's asserting itself in the region. But it also is appealing to Palestinian Sunni's and makes Palestinians feel that at least someone is behind their cause and that's why it's successful in gaining influence.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Guys I hope this isn't something that was made up to try hurting Iran's image. Just so you know, nobody is believing it. For the life of me I can't understand who is guiding your policies. Saudi+GCC need to find the right people to influence these policies. The monarchies should focus on local affairs, economy and local security. But you need someone else for your foreign policy. Because there are ways you could be more effective. I understand in some arenas like Iraq, it's not possible for you to have influence. You have to work with what you have.

So Syria and Yemen, there is still a long way to go there. If you want to shift momentum your way, you need better policies. This notion of trying to embarrass Iran, or making public statements, or requesting US led action in Syria, is unhelpful and pointless. Start by making the people feel that they belong to you. Like Iran is doing with Shia's and some Sunni's, you need to do with the Sunni's you're trying to influence. Don't just say you don't want Assad because you don't like Iran, actually develop a meaningful connection with the Syrian Sunni people. Let them know that you share a lot in common. Provide support when you can, etc....This is the kind of work that should be done. Once this ideological gap is filled, then the rest will come along.

Right now, I see an unwillingness in Egypt, GCC and Jordan to develop this ideological connection. Instead what you guys are doing, is disregard all Syrian Sunni's, make yourselves appear above them. And try to develop secular force loyal to you. This is a clear lack of cultural connection which Arabs used to have. I've even seen UAE and Egypt sympathize with Russian efforts in Syria. If you hate 2/3 of the Syrian Sunni population for whichever reasons, what's the point of this whole anti-Iran agenda?

The only improvement I've seen is in Saudi Arabia, it is changing it's policies at a somewhat quick pace. It's clearly trying to develop an cultural/ideological connection with the Yemeni people supporting the Hadi government. It does it well. It is somewhat trying to do that with Syrian Sunni's but it needs to improve it a bit. Saudi Arabia however can't go at it alone and Arabs like Egypt, UAE, Jordan, Algeria need to be on your side. But they aren't entirely on your side. Therefore policy makers need to be tasked with developing unity and ideological attachment with Sunni Arab population.

Iran already achieved ideological aspect long ago, and now it's asserting itself in the region. But it also is appealing to Palestinian Sunni's and makes Palestinians feel that at least someone is behind their cause and that's why it's successful in gaining influence.

You are talking as If you don't about Iran terror activities all over the world. Iran image is destroyed already. Attacking embassies, executing terrorist attacks, inciting sectarianism, funding terrorist militias...etc.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
You are talking as If you don't about Iran terror activities all over the world. Iran image is destroyed already. Attacking embassies, executing terrorist attacks, inciting sectarianism, funding terrorist militias...etc.

Bottomline, Arab nations are in a race against time. If they prioritize cracking down on the Muslim Brotherhood, then it will come back to bite them.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Bottomline, Arab nations are in a race against time. If they prioritize cracking down on the Muslim Brotherhood, then it will come back to bite them.

MB has shrunk in power everywhere. The MB in Egypt has been dealt with, capital punishment to life in prison type of sentence. MB of Jordan announced their disassociation from the MB and became an independent party itself, still call themselves the MB though. The US decision makers lost hope and become convinced that they no longer can use the MB they dumped and labeled them as a terror organization.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
MB has shrunk in power everywhere. The MB in Egypt has been dealt with, capital punishment to life in prison type of sentence. MB of Jordan announced their disassociation from the MB and became an independent party itself, still call themselves the MB though. The US decision makers lost hope and become convinced that they no longer can use the MB they dumped and labeled them as a terror organization.

This is the kind of conspiracy theory I'm talking about. MB in Egypt was goaded into entering elections to bring them decades in time. Once MB got in power in Egypt, the military took a hostile approach to the government. Arab nations cut diesel supplies to Egypt so the population can go without hours of electricity in some areas a day. And within a year a coup was organized. You admit that it was construct of foreigners when you say 'dealt with'. Now whether we believe it was construct or will of the people. That's up for debate, but your notion that US 'used' MB is not true. What did the US need MB for? Can you tell us? For what exact reasons? Is that you believe US tried overthrowing your governments by supporting MB against you? If that's the case, why aren't you cutting ties with US? All we see are your ties improving on a day by day basis.

MB in Palestine, ie Hamas, do they have good relations with US? Are you gonna say US used Hamas to overthrow PA? Which is a pathetic joke. Since we all know when Hamas won elections, US, Israel and Jordan supported Dahlan and were organizing armed coup against Hamas. Hamas foiled the plan unlike MB in Egypt. And now PA has very high security cooperation with Israel, they meet with US and Israeli officials on weekly basis. Just recently they met with Kerry. You guys are just lying left and right. This is why nobody likes you.

And then if your influence is so great like you claim, why don't you push back Iran? Iran is defeating you on all fronts. Iran can't defeat you militarily on paper. But it has influence in these arenas as it clearly is outplaying you. So as I said, you have wrong priorities which will hurt you in the near future. And your priorities are dangerous, because it causing big rift within Sunni's. I'm no longer Muslim myself, but I'm considering looking into Shiasm. Thanks to this very odd anti-Sunni stance coming from you Arabs where all you do is prioritize against Muslim Brotherhood, against Palestinians and support everything the US does in the region. Meanwhile Shia's are the opposite, they come to the aid of my people, they are not anti-Sunni like you guys claim, they don't blindly follow US policy in the region.

Look at Nasrallah's speech recently, and try to respond to his assertions even if you dislike him and Iran, he is making good points(18:30-23:00):

The rest of the stuff he said isn't important and I don't believe in any anti-Saudi agenda he may have. But he makes a good point in the 5 minutes I highlighted.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I haven't come across this item in Manila Bulletin. But anyway, I think the Philippines airports are good with their security system such that even bullets are being spotted almost every day. Do you know that a single bullet found in your possession is cause for an arrest? With that foiled hijack plan, I still have to get hold of the details because this is a serious matter that may smear a particular religious group.