Philippines Might be Giving Land To Terrorists...willingly | World Defense

Philippines Might be Giving Land To Terrorists...willingly

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
The Bangsamoro Basic Law aims to give autonomy to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, an armed group in the Philippines. However, the recent clash between MILF and the SAF made people realize that this could be a mistake. The peace treaty is giving land to terrorists!

Now, the question is, if they are given land and autonomy...won't the other regions of the Philippines have the right to secede and arm themselves too? That is a question still in my mind.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I feel like answering your queries will only trigger a chicken-and-egg argument, where both sides end up losing so badly. You're mixing up the law and the treaty. Anyway, though the land is given to the Filipino Muslims, a portion of their taxes will be remitted to the central government. So technically, the region will still be part of the Philippines (and it's just a chunk of Mindanao, by the way, and not the entire island). It's basically no different from ARMM except that there's more discretion as far as governing is concerned.

Look, just because the MILF signed the treaty that doesn't mean the BBL is ultimately for them. The BBL is for the benefit of every Muslim - not for those insurgent groups. Here's my suggestion: pass the BBL but continue to exterminate the terrorists. End of story.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is really getting more alarming. If Philippines will truly give the land and autonomy to MILF, will that really stop the ongoing war in Mindanao? I don't think it's the answer. MILF will become more demanding.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
I do not think I am mixing it up as a whole. The reason for this peace is for the concession of the government to the MILF. I have read the BBL and it stated that the transition committee shall be headed by 8 people chosen by the MILF and 7 by the government. So the BBL is empowering the MILF. I am feeling that the sub-state carved by the law has repercussions. What if they will use it as an excuse for secession? Also, it does not truly benefit the entire Muslim population, xTinx. Based on my reading it will only benefit the Bangsamoro people (ironic in the name). This leads me to a possibility of other indigenous peoples wanting autonomy as well if this is passed. What gives the Bangsamore people more rights to the other regions? Should we be all equal in the eyes of the law?

dynamarie25, yes, I am greatly concerned over that.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
I think we all can easily assume that if MILF does take control over the Mindanao, the next step these terrorists will take is to amass more force in order to expand their territory. I sure hope to God the government isn't considering on just handing over the land to those people, that's just utterly stupid.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
You're letting emotions (ergo, hatred for the MILF) get the better of you that you fail to see the big picture. I repeat: THE LAND WON'T BE HANDED OVER TO THE MILF. But the land will be governed by Muslims. FACT: NOT ALL MUSLIMS SUPPORT THE MILF. Another fact: Not all Muslim politicians have ties with the MILF. Get your facts straight before spouting your prejudices into the open. It's as if you're equating Mindanao with the MILF. BBL only apportions a part of Mindanao to the Muslims - not all of it.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
I saw a video where a journalist was given a chance to interview a member of BIFF who clearly stated that they were the ones helping the Malaysian terrorist Marwan. The man who introduced himself as "Kiram" said that they have been helping Marwan since the BIFF was formed and also added that they could never betray their comrade despite the huge bounty on Marwan's head. Now I don't know about everyone else but these BIFF guys have quite a twisted understanding of honor.

Video Link: Jiggy Manicad of GMA News 7 interviews BIFF member.

But in today's news, Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, chair of the ad hoc committee on the draft Basic Bangsamoro Law (BBL), said the House had agreed to suspend indefinitely Monday’s hearings on the BBL until the Moro Islamic Liberation Front surrenders Filipino terrorist Basit Usman and its members who participated in the massacre of Special Action Force (SAF) commandos on Jan. 25.

Source: House suspends BLL hearings

Does this mean that the MILF whom we believed originally gave the info on Marwan and Usman is now harboring the other terrorist that managed to escape during the attack in Mamasapano? Why would Usman even trust MILF to hide him this time after what happened to Marwan? But the greatest concern is knowing that there is a possibility that, regardless which group is hiding them, Mindanao is a haven for terrorists.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
It is indeed very alarming. I am from Mindanao and I personally experience the horrors of war here. In order for the BBL to succeed I guess trust should first be develop between the MILF and the Government. Regarding the question "if they are given land and autonomy...won't the other regions of the Philippines have the right to secede and arm themselves to?" I think not for example in the BBL there is an article there about the decommissioning of arms and weapons. Also part of the BBL is renunciation of terrorism. But then again still depends on the sincerity of the MILF or the Bangsamoro government to implement these rules.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
The Bangsamoro Basic Law aims to give autonomy to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, an armed group in the Philippines. However, the recent clash between MILF and the SAF made people realize that this could be a mistake. The peace treaty is giving land to terrorists!

Now, the question is, if they are given land and autonomy...won't the other regions of the Philippines have the right to secede and arm themselves too? That is a question still in my mind.

The MILF have always wanted to not be a part of the Philippines and they won't stop anyway until their land is given to them. Many lives will just be in jeopardy. I think it's only the right thing to do.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
THE LAND WON'T BE HANDED OVER TO THE MILF.
I am not letting my emotions get the better of me. I have read the the highlights of the BBL, and that is it. Read it here. The way I read it is that it is having a sub-state within the country. Which is unconstitutional at this point. It will have its own laws and police force which only the central government should have. Unless of course we find ourselves transitioning into a Federal form o government. The fact is we still have a Unitary one. I have relatives there in Mindanao and well aware of the fact that Mindanao is not equal to MILF. I am not spouting my prejudices either. Also, what assurance do we have that there will be total peace after the BBL is passed? To me, I rather have a Federal for of government than the BBL. This way, all regions will have equality when it comes to autonomy.

I also find naming it Bangsamoro as a group of people. Isn't Moro a derogatory term for Muslims anyway?

Now I don't know about everyone else but these BIFF guys have quite a twisted understanding of honor.

They should not have harbored a known terrorist in the first place. If it can do that during a peace negotiation. Imagine if they already have the land and be free about it.

I think not for example in the BBL there is an article there about the decommissioning of arms and weapons. Also part of the BBL is renunciation of terrorism.

What I mean is that other groups might act spoiled, have their owned arm groups and want land and autonomy too.