Philippines welcomes back U.S. military presence | World Defense

Philippines welcomes back U.S. military presence

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
I can't say it is pathetic, but it feels rather ironical. U.S. Military troops and presence was chased out of the Philippines like a quarter of years ago. But now, they welcome them back since the China enemy become more threatening against them and the South China Sea claims.

Few parts of the Oceans claimed by China is actually owned by Philippines, which leads to disputes and tries of China to get their ownership. This even ended by a call from the Philippine to the U.N. Tribunal to rule on the legal basis of China's Southern Sea claims. The tribunal did not gave the conclusions it yet but accepted to rule the case.

In April, 6,000 Americans employees came to Subic Bay for a exercise of 10 days. Barack Obama will also visit them next Tuesday to talk about this presence of U.S. military and if troops will come back. However, the military base will stay under the Philippines' management, not U.S. ownership.

Source: Chinese presence softens Philippines' view of U.S. Navy - LA Times

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@HeliArmy, I agree that it is a pathetic position that the Philippines is in. Take note that the throwing out of the US military in Philippine bases was a work of only a few, those in power at the time. But anyway, I also agree that our country is now with open arms in welcoming the meddling of US forces particularly in the Spratlys. And the logic behind that move is obvious even for a grade schooler. With the upcoming APEC, I hope something positive comes up about that territorial issue in the South China Sea.