Pilot Andy Hill to be charged with manslaughter charges over deaths on 11 people at Shoreham air crash | World Defense

Pilot Andy Hill to be charged with manslaughter charges over deaths on 11 people at Shoreham air crash

Feb 22, 2018
17 0 0
Pilot Andy Hill to be charged with manslaughter charges over deaths on 11 people at Shoreham air crash


Pilot Andy Hill is to be charged with manslaughter of 11 men who died at the Shoreham Airshow

Andrew Hill also faces allegations of endangerment of an aircraft under air navigation law

on 22 August 2015 when Andy Hill was performing aerobatics when the Hawker Hunter jet crashed on to the A27 in Sussex which resulted in death on 11 and injured 16 people

Mr Hill, from Hertfordshire, who is 54 on Thursday, is due to appear before Westminster magistrates on 19 April.

The charges are announced by Simon Ringrose of the crown prosecution service (CPS)

He said that “Following a careful review of the evidence I have found there is sufficient evidence to charge Andrew Hill with the manslaughter by gross negligence of the 11 men who died.

I have also authorised a further charge against Mr Hill of endangering an aircraft, contrary to Article 137 of the Air Navigation Order 2009.”

He will be charged with 11 counts of manslaughter by gross negligence, an offence that carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment, and one count of endangering an aircraft, which can incur a jail term of up to five years, the CPS said.

Hill, a trained Royal Air Force instructor and fast jet pilot, was thrown clear of the aircraft but taken to hospital with serious injuries and placed into an induced coma before being discharged.

Nine of the Shoreham airshow victims: (top row, left to right) Graham Mallinson, Mark Trussler and Maurice Abrahams, (middle row left to right) Matthew Grimstone, Dylan Archer and Richard Smith, (bottom row left to right) Tony Brightwell, Matt Jones and Mark Reeves. Photograph: PA
Shoreham air crash
The Hunter commenced its display with a low pass along the runway from south to north, turning for a second pass in the opposite direction. As it neared the airport, it pulled up into an inside loop. This manoeuvre started from a height of 200 feet (60 m), which David Learmount later said "left no room for misjudgement". The loop should have been started at a height of 500 feet (150 m) and a speed of at least 350 knots (650 km/h) indicated airspeed, attaining a height of 4,000 feet (1,200 m) and 150 knots (280 km/h) at the top of the loop. Only 2,700 feet (820 m) and 105 knots (194 km/h) were achieved from an initial entry speed of 310 knots (570 km/h).

Before it could complete the loop, the aircraft crashed in a nose-high attitude onto the west-bound carriageway of the A27 road. The aircraft broke into four parts on impact: cockpit, left wing and main body, tail, and right wing,[12] destroying several cars in the process. Fuel escaping from the fuel tanks ignited in a large fireball and plume of smoke immediately following the impact.The crash occurred at 13:22 BST (12:22 UTC).The first fire appliance arrived at the scene within 90 seconds of the crash