Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Poland launches first Kormoran II mine warfare vessel
Remigiusz Wilk, Warsaw - IHS Jane's Navy International
20 September 2015
1630665_-_main.jpg

The Polish Navy's lead Kormoran II mine warfare vessel, seen here being launched on 4 September 2015. Source: Polish Ministry of Defence

Key Points
  • Poland launches lead vessel in new mine warfare class
  • The three Project 258 Kormoran II vessels will replace the Project 206FM ships
Poland has launched its first Project 258 Kormoran II mine warfare vessel.

The ship entered the water on 4 September. To be named ORP Kormoran (601), commissioning for the ship is planned for 30 November 2016. Upon commissioning, the vessel will be stationed in Gdynia, Poland, with the 13th Minesweeper Division, part of the 8th Coastal Defence Flotilla.

Poland's search for a new mine warfare vessel began in 1999 with initial work on the Project 257 Kormoran programme; however, the project was cancelled in 2002.

The programme was reactivated in 2007 as Kormoran II. Formal work got under way in July 2011. On 26 January 2013, the Remontowa Shipbuilding-led consortium was selected to deliver the programme. Contract signing followed on 23 September 2013. The three-ship contract is worth PLN1.2 billion (USD322 million). Build work on the first ship started in April 2014.

Kormoran II is designed by Remontowa Shipbuilding in co-operation with Centrum Techniki Morskiej (CTM), and is based on a non-magnetic steel hull.

The three vessels - Kormoran , ORP Albatros (602), and ORP Mewa (602) - will replace the 1960s-built Project 206FM mine warfare vessels ORP Czajka , ORP Flaming , and ORP Mewa (vessels that were upgraded in 1998-2001).

Poland launches first Kormoran II mine warfare vessel - IHS Jane's 360