Polygamy and multiple partners? | World Defense

Polygamy and multiple partners?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
What are your guys opinions on polygamy and multiple partners not through marriage? I know many people are against polygamy but they have no problem with group sex or switching partners every other weekend. In my religion, polygamy is permitted, however I don't find it necessary for the modern world. I am against it. I know some folks oppose it but are hypocritical when they don't oppose pretty much same thing just without marriage contract.

I oppose both, as you may know. Group sex does happen but not as likely as hooking up. I'm sure everyone here knows what hooking up is. And hooking up is common, it's pretty much sex with anybody that seems attractive then moving on.

I don't see how someone who values his manhood is willing to engage in this. I am in the boat that both ideas are wrong and man should be reserved about his sex life and live with a happy woman with his significant other. When you marry on your wife, to me I interpret it as wanting to hook up with more woman. And if you're preaching that you're the religious folks, I dont buy that shit, dont preach religion and go around trying to hook up.

What are your opinions on this? Do you agree that the controversy against polygamy doesn't make sense if we accept it in difference practices just not written on paper?

PoKeMon

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
India
What are your guys opinions on polygamy and multiple partners not through marriage? I know many people are against polygamy but they have no problem with group sex or switching partners every other weekend. In my religion, polygamy is permitted, however I don't find it necessary for the modern world. I am against it. I know some folks oppose it but are hypocritical when they don't oppose pretty much same thing just without marriage contract.

I oppose both, as you may know. Group sex does happen but not as likely as hooking up. I'm sure everyone here knows what hooking up is. And hooking up is common, it's pretty much sex with anybody that seems attractive then moving on.

I don't see how someone who values his manhood is willing to engage in this. I am in the boat that both ideas are wrong and man should be reserved about his sex life and live with a happy woman with his significant other. When you marry on your wife, to me I interpret it as wanting to hook up with more woman. And if you're preaching that you're the religious folks, I dont buy that shit, dont preach religion and go around trying to hook up.

What are your opinions on this? Do you agree that the controversy against polygamy doesn't make sense if we accept it in difference practices just not written on paper?
Perverts and hypocrites are always there and are never the benchmark to define what is morally correct and what is not.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Perverts and hypocrites are always there and are never the benchmark to define what is morally correct and what is not.

I have read somewhere that polygamy exist in india among non muslims (Hindu) how true is that?

PoKeMon

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
India
I have read somewhere that polygamy exist in india among non muslims (Hindu) how true is that?

Hindu marriage act forbids polygamy and its criminal offense. You need to first divorce your wife to marry someone else.

I dont know anyone engaged in polygamy.

nailah783

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
It is not for me, but I'm not mad at anybody who chooses to live their life this way. My uncle was a polygamist. He was married to two women because it was allowed in his religion. In fact, it was encouraged because his second wife's husband had died, and he was charged with marrying her to help take care of her. It worked for them. So to each their own.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hindu marriage act forbids polygamy and its criminal offense. You need to first divorce your wife to marry someone else.

I dont know anyone engaged in polygamy.

What Im saying is that per the Hinduism laws its permissible to have more than a wife. Maybe that was banned later by the Indian constitution however, some hindus still practice polygamy. Interestingly to note that Indian constitution doesn't prevent muslims from doing so.

What do you thing of polygamy anyway?

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I cannot think of any reason to be against legal polygamy other than that it would be a bureaucratic nightmare. But then I have no issue with any kind of people forming a committed co-shared family household for practical purposes (tax, inheritance etc). Be they a romantic unit, family unit, commune or friendly neighborhood cult.

identityissues8

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Somalia
It's not something I could handle, but it's also not something I'm against.

I have little to no respect for men who take a second wife behind the back of their first. I know it's 'technically halal' (pffft, not really, though many try and assert this claim - marriage in Islam is an open contract, you self-serving tools.)
But if it is done right, and everyone knows what they're in for and signed up for it - I think it's fine and dandy.

I stress. I'd never do it.
My wife is more receptive to the idea than I am. Or she pretends to be. :p

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well, it is quite an opinion actually. Basically I feel OK with this but I wouldn't go too far and have more than two partners. So bigamy is the thing I am after. It is not that simple because there are combinations in this little idea. So, either one man and two women or one woman and two men. Just to be clear I am not saying both combinations are not OK, but they are not equal. This is because as a man I can be with two women separately and they can enjoy themselves even though they are not gay because let's be honest. What 'harm' can they do? But in the other way around case, one women can be with both guys but those guys have to be gay to enjoy themselves and that is not cool. That is the 'harm' I was trying to explain. I am not homophobic or whatever, but the odds are not the same here. I understand that some women would not accept to be with with other women but if you think it is nothing in comparison to guys.

cortana

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
How can you deal with that many women in one house would be my question!

I've seen the TV shows where some farmer looking guy has like 8 wives, but they're all pretty ugly looking. Anyone can get 8 ugly lookers. Show me the guy who's married to 8 girls who are physically attractive and NOT crazy!

identityissues8

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Somalia
In Islam the answer is simple - each wife has her own house and the man has to divide up the time.
It takes some wealth, but it could be worthwhile.

Tbh, I'm starting to warm to the idea.
If I were to take a second wife, though, it'd be an older divorcee or widow.

UnslaadKrosis

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
India
I, for one, am pro-polygamy. But, (and I emphasise it because it's really important) I believe in polygamous right for both sexes. That means, both a man and a woman, if they choose to do so, may have multiple wives/husbands. It is not a religious idea, it is more of a logical conclusion I've come to after mulling about the ethics and morality of the practice of poly/monogamy in various cultures throughout history. For me, if it makes a person(s) happy to share their life with more than one person(s) [Again, it applies to both men AND women]. It is not a religious idea, it is more of a logical conclusion I've come to after mulling about the ethics and morality of the practice of poly/monogamy in various cultures throughout history. For me, if it makes a person(s) happy to share their life with more than one person(s) [Again, it applies to both men AND women], and all the parties are okay with the arrangement, who am I to come between their happiness? Isn't this how 'freedom' works? Or has it changed when I wasn't looking? If you like spending your life with one person, you're free to do so. No problem on that. But if three of your friends want to spend their life as a single family, who gives you the right to meddle in? Isn't it their personal business? And please don't invoke the 'definition of marriage' argument, because throughout history, religions, and cultures, the definition of marriage has changed, often drastically.

Last edited:

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, if a guy can marry more than one woman, than a woman should also be able to marry more than one man. The whole idea of polygamy is absurd because of the fact that it is an idea developed by a male dominant society. I would be okay with it if women were allowed to marry more than one guy, but I have a feeling that the that idea wouldn't fly with even the modern policy makers.

Anyways, monogamy is all about stability, love and all the other things that civilized people should be talking about. Polygamy is an ancient misogynistic concept.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I, for one, am pro-polygamy. But, (and I emphasise it because it's really important) I believe in polygamous right for both sexes. That means, both a man and a woman, if they choose to do so, may have multiple wives/husbands. It is not a religious idea, it is more of a logical conclusion I've come to after mulling about the ethics and morality of the practice of poly/monogamy in various cultures throughout history. For me, if it makes a person(s) happy to share their life with more than one person(s) [Again, it applies to both men AND women]. It is not a religious idea, it is more of a logical conclusion I've come to after mulling about the ethics and morality of the practice of poly/monogamy in various cultures throughout history. For me, if it makes a person(s) happy to share their life with more than one person(s) [Again, it applies to both men AND women], and all the parties are okay with the arrangement, who am I to come between their happiness? Isn't this how 'freedom' works? Or has it changed when I wasn't looking? If you like spending your life with one person, you're free to do so. No problem on that. But if three of your friends want to spend their life as a single family, who gives you the right to meddle in? Isn't it their personal business? And please don't invoke the 'definition of marriage' argument, because throughout history, religions, and cultures, the definition of marriage has changed, often drastically.

I believe that women can accept the concept of polygamy. Men on other hand can't accept the concept of Polyandry so such equilibrium is very unlikely to be balanced.

Theboysmom04

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
While I could not handle a polygamous relationship I'm not against those who are in one.

When it comes to polygamist marriage obviously there would have to be laws set in place to make it legal in the United states. Each couple while perhaps wanting to reside together would need their own unit of the home to establish property boundaries in the case of divorce.

It is not my place to judge others for how they choose to live their lives. As long as they are causing no physical harm to one another or to their children I have no problem with their lifestyle choices.