President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit | Page 2 | World Defense

President Obama starts two-day Kenya visit

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I think he has done some roots exploring while he is there. However, if this visit does accomplish a end to tribal violence in parts of Africa it would be well done. I think the U.S. has really ignored Africa for far too long. As long as he is accomplishing political objectives there, it may well be useful for him to venture to the "Dark COntinent" and Kenya specifically. It may be a trip that needs to happen. I do like Obama.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I certainly didn't see it said or implied that "...one is of value only if he's American." I'm not even sure where that came from! Unfortunately, Obama's "official business" has already included pissing off a country that is predominantly Christian, by telling them that some of their stances on morality are wrong. The arrogance of the man knows no boundaries! I just don't see him as the all-encompassing Messianic figure, whose presence anywhere will make a positive difference.

Well, Yes, he may be one that can make a positive difference in various parts of the world, and in particular Africa which as stated above, has been ignored for far to long. It seems as though they are the world's poor cousin's that the powers to be barely deign to acknowledge half the time. So, maybe his visit was a positive venture into the world of international relations. I am not sure anymore.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Africa has great potential and the doesn't need the West to hold their hand and lead them . . . the people need to take charge of their destiny, stop relying on the West for everything. Before they learn that I'm afraid even if 100 U.S presidents visited the continent, not much would change.
Unfortunately, Obama's "official business" has already included pissing off a country that is predominantly Christian, by telling them that some of their stances on morality are wrong. The arrogance of the man knows no boundaries! I just don't see him as the all-encompassing Messianic figure, whose presence anywhere will make a positive difference.
I doubt he'll make a positive difference anywhere but all that matters is the fact that at least he's trying to make a difference. On the gay rights issues, I think it's more of a cultural issue in Africa. They oppose homosexuality because their culture doesn't accommodate it.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I did not read the general Kenyan response as "pissed off". It seemed more in line with Kenyatta's personal response which was relaxed and generally positive. Kenyatta said that he and Obama agreed on major issues and disagreed on gay rights where Kenyatta specifically said that an equal rights approach would be impossible for his government as there would be no public support. It seemed like a mature relationship in which disagreements could be aired without rancor.

I personally felt Obama's statement that discrimination is undemocratic and impinged on true individual freedom and functional meritocracy to be very American, very inspiring, and the best approach he could take as it potentially connects to Kenya entrepreneurial culture. It was doomed to be 99% unpopular there but Obama was there representing the US whether it plays well or not. And the US supports treating people equally.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I am not a fan of President Obama. That being said, I think traveling to Africa is a good thing. I believe we should do more to help modernize and industrialize that continent. A lot of people over there could really benefit from the wonders of capitalism.