Probability of another cold war | World Defense

Probability of another cold war

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
So, what do you think is the probability of a cold war escalating from the current crisis in Ukraine and the tensions between the US and Russia?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Well it could happen if things don't improve between the countries another war could happen and may be devastating and may even bring in more countries who have their own motives. I think there is a 50 to 60% chance of it happening as the US and Russia are not exactly friends and have a strained relationship and anything can set if off and cause another war to happen. So a war could happen in a year or too if the relationship is not fixed and the tension is not resolved soon.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
There already is a cold war, USA says nasty stuff about Russia, Russia says nasty stuff about USA. They then put sanctions on each other which have little effect. Russia exports gold and oil, and there are lots of buyers like China and India which will not obey the sanctions.

It should be called a hot air war, since they are blowing hot air at each other. Possibly the politicans blowing all this hot air are contributing to global warming.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that it won't necessarily spark of between America and Russia but Russia vs the world (sans certain countries) as they are under a lot of pressure from NATO. I doubt we will see it escalate to the size of the cold war but tensions will be high.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
Candidly, I think we are already in another Cold War. Russia has gotten very aggressive and NATO is on the alert. Also, smaller regimes (such as Iran and North Korea) are going about provocative actions with little heed to the west.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think the possibility of a new Cold War is great based on what is happening in Ukraine and the increasing aggresiveness Russia is showing right now. They started with Crimea and if they capture any other important parts of Ukraine they will have a great strategic location against other powerful European nation. I hope it will not happen. WAR only begots hatred and misery.

jdzla

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think that after the proxy wars in Afghanistan and Vietnam, most wars between greater powers will tend to be cold. Sure, there may be saber-rattling and small-scale action but there is simply too much interconnection now due to globalization to make a conventional war worth it.

Information, psyops and covert ops I believe will dominate the game. All warfare is based on deception. It has never been more true.

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I mean yeah, it basically seems to me like another stint of the Cold War happening between Russia and United States. I definitely don't think that they're going to stir up a real fighting war any time soon, because I don't really think either country wants to do that right now to be honest, if ever.

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
I was remarking to my wife the other day how eerie it is to again have concerns with Russia. I grew up during the Cold War and after the collapse of the Soviet Empire, I figured my children would never know the specter of those times. Silly me, because it appears to be back.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
This has been a discussion I have been having with friends. We are all under the same assumption that this could happen. So you will find this could be a major problem if it does happen because it will lead to economic hardships in the region that has already suffered quite a bit.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I guess, history does repeat itself quite frequently. It is likely we are already in a kind of underground Cold War, or maybe a cyber one.

elmarianexx

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Russia and US don't like each other, and yeah it's very possible that a cold war could take place between those two countries because US seems to be invading in the whole crisis between Ukraine and Russia.