Protests & Riots in America | Page 3 | World Defense

Protests & Riots in America

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA

SILENT MAJORITY: POLL SHOWS AMERICAN VOTERS SUPPORT USE OF MILITARY, NATIONAL GUARD IN RIOTS

A new poll by Morning Consult found that large majorities of American voters, including a majority of Democrat supporters, back use of the National Guard to address the riots and protests tearing apart cities around the nation. A smaller majority of Americans supports using the military.

The poll backs up the President’s claim that a “silent majority” is on his side in cracking down on the unrest.

SILENT MAJORITY!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 2, 2020
Washington and the top brass: military would rather fight in the Middle East than keep peace in American cities. Today, poll shows 66% of military favors sending in the troops, with 27% opposed. Among all voters, it’s 58-30. https://t.co/Z93B7egdjp pic.twitter.com/WBLyhmRYCD
— Richard Hanania (@RichardHanania) June 2, 2020
71 percent of polled American voters said they support the use of the National Guard to supplement city police forces in addressing “protests and demonstrations” (the poll did not use the word “riots”) in American cities.

Of these, 42 percent of voters said they “strongly support” use of the National Guard and 29 percent said they “somewhat support” it.

Only 11 percent “strongly oppose” the measure and 9 percent “somewhat oppose” it.

Republicans are more likely than Democrats to support the use of the National Guard, but a large majority of Democrats (63 percent) either “strongly” or “somewhat” support it as well.

African-American voters are evenly split on the use of the National Guard.

43 percent of polled African-American voters either “strongly oppose” or “somewhat oppose” use of the National Guard, while 42 percent either “strongly support” or “somewhat support” the measure.

Hispanic voters support the use of the National Guard.

54 percent of polled Hispanic voters either “strongly” or “somewhat” support the use of the National Guard, compared to 25 percent who “strongly” or “somewhat” oppose.

A smaller majority of American voters (58 percent) support the use of the U.S. Military to supplement city police forces. 33 percent said they strongly support the measure and 25 percent somewhat support it, compared to 19 percent who strongly oppose and 11 percent who somewhat oppose.

Republicans are again more likely to support use of the military, but once again, a plurality of Democrat voters also support the measure. 48 percent of polled Democrat voters either strongly or somewhat support use of the military, compared to 43 percent or strongly or somewhat oppose it.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Insurance will cover majority of them.

I wish it was true. Most small businesses and mom and pop type grocery stores/restaurants have no insurances. These rioters should be found and prosecuted. It's just not right that hardworking and impartial people had their properties and businesses vandalized. personally I would shoot anyone attacking my home or business.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
I wish it was true. Most small businesses and mom and pop type grocery stores/restaurants have no insurances. These rioters should be found and prosecuted. It's just not right that hardworking and impartial people had their properties and businesses vandalized. personally I would shoot anyone attacking my home or business.
they tend to cut corners, because they are trying to support a family, and grow.

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
I don't know but seems like demands of protesters were met so protests should dissipate soon.
It's a common practice of prosecutors who want the police to get away with the crime to overcharge. 2nd degree instead of 3rd degree for instance. Now with 2nd degree they have to prove intent to kill, which they won't be able to and hence intentionally lose the case.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
It's a common practice of prosecutors who want the police to get away with the crime to overcharge. 2nd degree instead of 3rd degree for instance. Now with 2nd degree they have to prove intent to kill, which they won't be able to and hence intentionally lose the case.
I don't think that is the case with this prosecutor, he is Democrat nut bag, he may want the cop to get off but if it is, he wants another round of riots and looting when the cop gets off. You have to understand that he is a civil rights activist, they love rioting and looting.

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
I don't think that is the case with this prosecutor, he is Democrat nut bag, he may want the cop to get off but if it is, he wants another round of riots and looting when the cop gets off. You have to understand that he is a civil rights activist, they love rioting and looting.
What's your opinion of Trump?

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
that he screws a lot of stuff up, but he is what we got, and he makes the correct Supreme Court picks, and we are getting a lot of Federal judges put on the bench also which is of the utmost important. The way the Democrats have shaped the law here in the last several years has to be reversed or at least stopped, and I don't care what he screws up as long as he gets that stuff right.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
@Khafee @Counter-Errorist

Title should be changed to Protests/Riots in America in my opinion. Since both are happening in real time. And to address the political context of this situation.

Can you tell us who the head of 'Antifa' is? And if it is a politically registered organization? It is not, so you can't put a non-existent entity on a terrorist list which requires a complex legal process. Antifa is similar to something like the incel movement. They are people who proclaim to share similar aims and/or values. Individuals that claim to share such aims/values can partake in criminal behavior and dealt with by law as individuals, but there isn't actually an 'antifa' or 'incel' organization that exists.

So, Trump insinuating that they are an real organization is invalid. These details are important and matter, otherwise we don't live in a democracy and will become like any other dictatorship in the world. You are part of the problem when you only do not fact check your president or the republican party you are affiliated with. Being a republican or democrat is part of our social fabric in America, but I highly encourage both republicans and democrats to fact check their sides and protect American values. One big problem on republican side is one you exhibit, stubborn support of anything Trump says or wants to do even if it contradicts American values. One big problem on democrat side is political correctness/cancel culture. Both sides need to address their problems but they are both doubling down and hence we have lots of division in this country due to counterproductive stubbornness.

So now getting to the 'antifa' thing, here is another non-existent entity known as 'Boogaloo'. It is not actually an organization but another self proclaimed movement which doesn't function like an organization. You cannot put this non-existent organization on a terrorist list. However, some individuals that claim to share values/aims of the 'Boogaloo' movement can commit federal crimes and be arrested/charged for them. Trump didn't mention them however since all he cares about is demonizing the left as part of a republican campaign strategy. Nor do his supporters as they are biased, hypocritical and non-principled people that don't seek a common ground with rest of country. And that is only going to lead to tensions in the country and ultimately, failure.

Here is an example of the 'Boogaloo' incident:

Three men who allegedly sought to exploit protests and incite violence in Las Vegas have been charged, according to the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Nevada.

In a federal complaint filed on Tuesday, each man was charged with one count of conspiracy to damage and destroy by fire and explosive, and one count of possession of unregistered firearms. They are currently in state custody.

All three were Las Vegas residents and alleged members of the “Boogaloo” movement, “a term used by extremists to signify a coming civil war and/or collapse of society,” according to a press release by the Attorney's Office today.

According to the complaint, authorities seized numerous accelerants, including gasoline, fuel injector cleaner, hair spray, strips of clothes, and four glass jars filled with a liquid that tested positive as gasoline, from one of the men's vehicles.

They also found multiple rags, cans of hairspray, a plastic bag full of fireworks, a 12-gauge shotgun with numerous shotgun shells and a 45 ACP pistol in his vehicle.
“Violent instigators have hijacked peaceful protests and demonstrations across the country, including Nevada, exploiting the real and legitimate outrage over Mr. Floyd’s death for their own radical agendas,” said US Attorney Nicholas A. Trutanich in the press release.
Ongoing investigations nationwide: Federal law enforcement officials have told CNN that investigators believe extremists from both left and right have been involved. Investigations are still ongoing and prosecutors often add information to the charging documents.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Why can't Trump and his supporters say the same thing the federal law enforcement officials are saying? If they want to be stubborn and continue to amplify the divide in this country than they are going to make for a worsening environment in this country and we see the results today. If you think I have a personal stake in this fight then you are wrong as I've told you before I'm neither right or left. I'm more in the middle. If you see yourself as more American than me than you should realize if this country goes to hell I can pack up and leave and you will not have an option to just seek refuge anywhere. You guys need to see the harm you are causing to this country by making stubborn and doubling down on your biases and campaign strategies. It poisons the social and political environment in this country and can break out into a civil war anytime.

Most of you guys who think you won't mind that are delusional, none of can handle the adversity of a civil war and chaos, the damage that will be done to the dollar, the massive inflation and massive unemployment and losing our standing as the top superpower in the world. It would no longer be the case.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Thanks to the forum staff for adjusting title.

Americans disapprove of Trump response to George Floyd death and protests, polls find

Americans are unhappy with President Donald Trump's response to the death of George Floyd, his handling of the ensuing protests and the way he has dealt with race relations in general, according to four polls released this week.

The death of Floyd, who was killed when a white Minneapolis police officer pinned him to the ground with a knee to his neck, has brought the USA's troubled history of race relations back to the forefront of the national consciousness.

Floyd's killing has been condemned by Democrats and Republicans in a rare moment of bipartisan agreement. But feelings about the protests across the USA – some of which led to vandalism, looting and clashes with police – have been more divided.

Trump and some Republicans, such as Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, called for a militarized response to control the unrest. Many, including Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and former President George W. Bush, strongly rejected that approach.

Polls from CBS News, Emerson College, Reuters/Ipsos and Monmouth University found most Americans disapprove of Trump's handling of the protests and the underlying racial issues.

Only the Emerson College poll was conducted after peaceful protesters were cleared from around the White House on Monday so Trump could visit a nearby church that had been damaged the night before. The move was derided by former military officials, including retired Gen. James Mattis, Trump's first secretary of defense, who sharply rebuked the president in a statement Wednesday.

Here's what the polls found:

Trump's low marks on race
On Trump's handling of Floyd's death and the ensuing protests:
  • Emerson College – Approve 36%, disapprove 47% and 17% neutral/no opinion
  • Reuters/Ipsos – Approve 33%, disapprove 55%
On Trump's handling of race relations in general:
  • CBS News – Approve 33%, disapprove 58%
Faith in Trump's ability to handle race relations:
  • Monmouth University – Some or a great deal, 40%. Not much or none at all, 60%