Putin: Russia was preparing to use nuclear weapons 'if necessary' and blames US for Ukraine crisis | World Defense

Putin: Russia was preparing to use nuclear weapons 'if necessary' and blames US for Ukraine crisis

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Vladimir Putin says Russia was preparing to use nuclear weapons 'if necessary' and blames US for Ukraine crisis in Crimea documentary

vladimir-putin-interview.jpg

As the bombshell programme on the annexation of the Black Sea peninsular aired on Sunday evening, TV reports suggest the Russian president was watching it from his sickbed

Vladimir Putin has said Russia was so fearful of attack at the height of the Ukraine crisis that it was preparing to arm its nuclear weapons, in extraordinary claims aired on state TV on Sunday night.

Amid ongoing Russian media speculation that the President was watching the Crimea documentary from his sickbed, Mr Putin’s full interview with Rossiya One provided new insight into his country’s involvement in the annexation of the Black Sea peninsula.

In the documentary, which marks a year since the referendum that saw Russia take control of Crimea, Mr Putin described the Ukrainian revolution to oust Viktor Yanukovych in February 2014 as an armed coup “masterminded by our American friends”.

He said Washington tried to “trick” the world into thinking the regime change was “supported mostly by the Europeans”, according to a translation of the interview on Russia Today.

But he instead accused the US of orchestrating the crisis, saying: “They helped training the nationalists, their armed groups, in Western Ukraine, in Poland and to some extent in Lithuania. They facilitated the armed coup.”

Mr Putin expanded on comments aired ahead of the full documentary that well-armed forces known as the “little green men” who helped bring about the referendum in Crimea were indeed Russian soldiers.

He also revealed that as part of the operation to take control of the peninsula, Russia deployed K-300P Bastion coastal defence missile “in a way that made them seen clearly from space” as a military deterrent to the perceived threat of attack from the West.

And on Russia’s willingness to arm nuclear weapons if necessary, Mr Putin said: “We were ready to do this ... (Crimea) is our historical territory. Russian people live there. They were in danger. We cannot abandon them.”

9 controversial Putin quotes

The documentary comes as speculation continues to grow about Mr Putin's 10-day absence from public view. After a number of cancelled meetings in the past week, the opposition TV station Dozhd reportedly cited anonymous sources on Sunday saying the leader was recuperating from the flu in one of his country manors outside Moscow.

On Monday, he is scheduled to take part in a meeting with the president of Kyrgyzstan, in what would be his first public appearance before the news media since 5 March.

Other admissions made by Mr Putin in the documentary, which was entitled “Crimea: The Road Back Home”, were that he ordered the defence ministry to deploy elite units to Crimea “under the cover of strengthening the protection of our military facilities”.

But despite admitting this subterfuge, Mr Putin said Russian troop numbers in the peninsula never exceeded the 20,000 allowed under the terms of basing its Black Sea fleet there.

The comments were reported on the state broadcaster’s website, after the documentary aired in the Russian Far East but before it was due to go out in Moscow.

Mr Putin also confirmed that Russian forces oversaw the movement of the ousted president Yanukovych from Kiev to Russia, and suggested that those who benefited from the “armed coup” had plotted to assassinate him.

“I invited the heads of our special services, the Defense Ministry and ordered them to protect the life of the Ukrainian president,” he said. “Otherwise he would have been killed.”

Vladimir Putin says Russia was preparing to use nuclear weapons &[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];if necessary&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG]; and blames US for Ukraine crisis in Crimea documentary - Europe - World - The Independent

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Since the Ukraine crisis since is far from over I think this [Putin's "confession"] is a veiled threat. If Russia was prepared to use nuclear weapons a little while back they can still consider using nuclear weapons any time in future should they feel that NATO poses a threat to them [Russians that is]. I guess it's time all that talk about arming Ukraine ceased.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I could see them using nuclear weapons and then just justifying it by saying that they were threatened. I don't think that they will listen to NATO or anyone and will just use the nukes. I will follow up with this.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
What a lame excuse! Putin is every bit as power hungry and unbalanced as a certain despot in Washington,D.C.! Does anyone believe anything this man says anymore? If he expected the U.S. to attack Russia, he doesn't know Obama very well! Obama would NEVER attack a comrade!

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
What a lame excuse! Putin is every bit as power hungry and unbalanced as a certain despot in Washington,D.C.! Does anyone believe anything this man says anymore? If he expected the U.S. to attack Russia, he doesn't know Obama very well! Obama would NEVER attack a comrade!
I don't think you could have used a better word than "unbalanced". I agree with you complete, though

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
It's interesting I had no idea that they were that scared of an attack from a country that's obviously incredibly smaller than they are. The Ukraine couldn't defeat Russia no matter how hard they tried simply because they are much smaller much less organized country while it they use nuclear weapons against them.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Russia is just a warmonger that wants to be a all round superpower like the US but their economy is not up to scratch and so they try to use the military route to get their voice heard in the region. Russia will pay the price big time like Germany did if they should provoke a major war in Europe and if they dare to use nuclear weapons then they should prepare for nuclear attacks.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
When you intend to usurp a country's resources, then there's no excuse around it. You will use any means to bend people to your will. Putin's a senile old man with delusions of grandeur so it's natural for him to place the blame on America even though he clearly has designs to wipe off Ukraine. Perhaps it would be better if the US ignores Iran first and focuses on stopping Russia from using nuclear weapons on a hapless country.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Here is a interview with Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin on what sparked this crisis. I have read various articles online that seem to contradict most of what he is saying but I will let you guys decide for yourselves if what he is saying is true or not.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
The blame game is not good, as it does not solve anything, Putin should be concentrating on the conflict and how to end it as it has been going on for along time and even he could be a target by rebels so should be very careful. He could be a target as well and, there is anger among the people and the violence is increasing and will not stop anytime soon from the looks of it. I reckon that, this will result in more clashes as Putin may be playing a politicial game and wants to stay in power and could have a hand in the conflict as well will have to see.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
He's too busy trying to pin everything on the US to make himself look innocent to concentrate on solving the issues. He wants the world to turn against the US and side with Russia. He wants the US's dominant presence.

Rebel

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
19 1 0
Country
USA
The terrible thing is that's missed the irony to his actions. Putin is to Ukraine as Hitler was to Poland. Both men pushed an invasion force into a soverign foreign nation and annexed land. Putin did it silently. Hitler did it and then held parades. Other than the end game is their much difference? Not really. Putin has seen that the US and NATO are more bark than they are bite. He's now threatening the Baltics in the same manner and unlike Ukraine the Baltics are members of NATO. NATO is required under their alliances to respond with military force in such an event as an illegal invasion of a NATO nation. So potentially I see Putin as the man most likely to start World War 3. It's not some rogue nation, it's not some middle eastern sand box, it's the same threat that's always been there; Russia.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Oh trust me, he keeps pushing and Putin will see just how hard this dog can bite. As for NATO... I think they are too scared to react is the problem.