Putin's Syria campaign is win-win for most Russians | World Defense

Putin's Syria campaign is win-win for most Russians

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Dateline Moscow. Most Russians like their country's military operation in Syria. They thing the airstrikes in Syria had turned the course of war aside from demonstrating Russia's supreme air power. But it can be recalled that they suffered a debacle in Afghanistan so maybe Syria is their redeeming factor. And this time, it is only the air force that is involved in Syria and President Vladimir Putin pledged not to send ground troops maybe to minimize casualty.

For details - Putin's Syria campaign is win-win for most Russians | World, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I think that for now at least, the Russian people like the way that Putin is running the country and with this campaign going well also, things are looking quite good for Russia at the moment.

Things can soon go wrong though, and I think it might be wise if Putin remembers that. If one of the countries that he's been winding up with his remarks should react, if they start to lose planes in the air campaign in Syria, those two things alone could soon see the Russian people start to doubt him again.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
As long as Russia keeps the operation on a limited scale, such as limiting it to airstrikes and military advisers, it would only benefit Russians as a weapon testing, pilot training, commander training, ground. The cost is minimal when you do not launch a full scale war. There is next to no risk of casualty.

More importantly, Russia can't afford to lose the naval base there. So they must stop a western sponsored regime change in Syria.

Last edited:

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
When Putin announced a couple of days ago that the air campaign was over, there was a lot of media asking questions to Syrian political experts, and they all categorically said that the Russian government hadn't said anything about who they thought should be running the country.

Either they're lying to the world live on TV, or maybe the west have got it wrong, and Russia didn't go in there to influence any political agenda they had?

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Its not just Russians who are happy. Military campaigns are meant to be short and this one was ultra short compared to the campaigns that we have seen so far from other countries including the US. Deploying troops in a country for long was never Putin's goal, and he had already stated so back in nov/dec when he had held his annual press conference. I didn't really understand what he had meant then, but I guess this what he meant.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Its not just Russians who are happy. Military campaigns are meant to be short and this one was ultra short compared to the campaigns that we have seen so far from other countries including the US. Deploying troops in a country for long was never Putin's goal, and he had already stated so back in nov/dec when he had held his annual press conference. I didn't really understand what he had meant then, but I guess this what he meant.

Successful...military campaigns are often short, as they go in, get the objective achieved and then withdraw, that's what I think most military personnel want when any campaign starts, and in this case that's exactly what Russia as done.

Sometimes it seems as if it's just the US and UK forces that get mixed up in long, drawn out battles and by the end of it people have forgotten what the objective was in the first place.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I think anytime a force can go in do the job and get out quickly, that's going to be a popular move, unless the job doesn't stay done and they have to go back. I have a feeling this is not going to be over for a long time. I'd much prefer that we (United States and allies) would have been able to get in and out of the region quickly, but now it seems inevitable that we will have a presence there for many more years. Whether Russia is finished in Syria remains to be seen, but it does appear that Putin has the support and approval of many Russians.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think anytime a force can go in do the job and get out quickly, that's going to be a popular move, unless the job doesn't stay done and they have to go back. I have a feeling this is not going to be over for a long time. I'd much prefer that we (United States and allies) would have been able to get in and out of the region quickly, but now it seems inevitable that we will have a presence there for many more years. Whether Russia is finished in Syria remains to be seen, but it does appear that Putin has the support and approval of many Russians.

I'm not sure if Russia are finished in Syria to be honest, and even if they are for now I think they've certainly left the door open for a possible return if they're needed.

Assad in charge of Syria is what Russia wants, and I think until that is done, they will always have a presence there. Putin has got the support of the Russian people, and I think it's only maybe a shortage of funds that stopped him from carrying on.

Military campaigns can be expensive these days you know!

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
So far Putin is doing well and I think most of Russian people support him one way or another. Military looks strong and that is the backbone of Russia. I also think the campaign in Syria is not yet over and they will leave an open window to step in if they need to and I also believe they will do that. As someone mentioned here. This military action is very expensive and that could be a problem although we will not see that officially. It is naive for people to think either Russia or America is there to help or restrain one side or another. It is only a façade and the real reasons are something else. Now, I don't know what are they in this particular situation but they are not what they have officially stated. It is always like that.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I can understand the Russian people supporting Putin, because he seems to be somewhat charismatic, and portrays himself as being strong and capable. Strong capable leaders are often popular, particularly during times of strife, and the world is in a tumultuous state right now, so many people are scared. I'm sure in the future, this will be an interesting period to look back on and see all that is occurring, knowing how it ended, but many people I know are concerned about all of the upheaval and uncertainty.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Putin gives the impression to his people that everything that's going on is meticulously planned and it's exactly what he wants to happen and that's what makes him popular in Russia aswell, even though I'm not sure in reality that IS the case.

The campaign in Syria went exceptionally well for Russia, but when Putin first went in there, there's no way that he could have envisioned it turning out as well as it did.