Qatar gives Somalia armored vehicles

Bundeswehr

Professional
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Qatar donated 68 armored vehicles to Somalia on Thursday, Qatar's defense ministry said, a sign that Doha is pushing for influence in the country with the role of its Gulf rival, the United Arab Emirates, under strain.
Somalia, a Horn of Africa country located on key shipping routes, has refused to take sides in the rift between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, a UAE ally.
But relations with the UAE have become strained over the UAE's investments in the breakaway region of Somaliland. In April, Somalia disbanded a UAE program to train some of its troops.
Qatar's defense ministry said the armored vehicles, delivered on Thursday in Mogadishu, would strengthen the Somali state, which is battling an Islamist insurgency.

Scorpion

THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
lol those who received will defect tomorrow and create their own army and start fighting each other

Bundeswehr

Professional
Reaction score
Country
Germany
lol those who received will defect tomorrow and create their own army and start fighting each other
would not surprise really. the Somali army I believe is just basic militias who united to fight other radical elements, however Turkey has a base in Mogadishu which is training Somali soldiers, police officers so we will wait and see.
however, this donation I think was just to get the Somali govt. to support Qatar's decisions in the future.

Scorpion

THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
would not surprise really. the Somali army I believe is just basic militias who united to fight other radical elements, however Turkey has a base in Mogadishu which is training Somali soldiers, police officers so we will wait and see.
however, this donation I think was just to get the Somali govt. to support Qatar's decisions in the future.
Turkey has a small empty base and soon they will leave and be replaced with a UAE base.