Raids across Turkey as prosecutors issue 695 warrants for coup links | World Defense

Raids across Turkey as prosecutors issue 695 warrants for coup links

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA

FEATUREDWIB LANDWIB POLITICS February 18, 2020 Staff Writer 0
Istanbul (dpa) – Turkish prosecutors issued warrants for 695 people, including serving soldiers, for their alleged links to a suspected 2016 coup mastermind, state news agency Anadolu reported on Tuesday.
The suspects being sought in raids across the country include Justice Ministry workers, former and current soldiers, and former police officials.
Turkey blames US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen and his FETO movement for a coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The government considers FETO a terrorist organization and has arrested thousands of people with alleged connections to both it and Gulen.

Warrants were issued for 157 people, including 101 serving officers, in the armed forces, plus 71 people, including 33 still working, in the Justice Ministry, Anadolu reported.

An additional 467 suspects were sought as part of an investigation into cheating in police exams in 2009 and using their connections to the Gulen movement to manipulate selection procedures.

The government accuses Gulen of a decades-long campaign to infiltrate state institutions through cheating in public exams, among other tactics.

So far, more than 180 suspects have been arrested in various provinces, according to Anadolu.

Years after the failed coup by a faction in the military, the authorities continue to regularly target those with suspected links to Gulen, a former ally of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

———

©2020 Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany)

Visit Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany) at www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I don't see any news of this except in this blog you are quoting. Can you post a reputable source for this news? And when you post a thread write the reason for it. If you think Turkish gov't is moving in wrong direction because you favor democracy for example, then write that down for us.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
the reason is, I thought it might be of interest. Satisfied ;)

Lol, just be a man and say you want to people to see Turkey in negative light. You care so much about coup in Turkey but don't care about coup in Egypt and aftermath of it.

And you post fake news for this purpose which is against forum rules.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
Lol, just be a man and say you want to people to see Turkey in negative light. You care so much about coup in Turkey but don't care about coup in Egypt and aftermath of it.

And you post fake news for this purpose which is against forum rules.
Actually I posted it because you keep saying that there might be a coup, as you have said that, when I read this I thought he might be trying to avoid that as he gets in deeper water. Actually I could care less as long as he doesn't drag the United States into his sh#t show, with Putin

and of course, here you go again telling me what my position is, and what my thoughts are when you don't know anything

Last edited:

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Actually I posted it because you keep saying that there might be a coup, as you have said that, when I read this I thought he might be trying to avoid that as he gets in deeper water. Actually I could care less as long as he doesn't drag the United States into his sh#t show, with Putin

and of course, here you go again telling me what my position is, and what my thoughts are when you don't know anything

Okay my apologies it would have been better if it was posted in the same thread.

Anyhow this is a very serious situation and I'll update the thread in a second.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Turkish soldiers dead as a result of a Russian strike this morning, Turkey shut down the internet now only accessible via VPN.