Religious Freedom in India | World Defense

Religious Freedom in India

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
Hindu state of India can run but can't hide... anymore.
Choose watch on facebook

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
A Kashmiri father’s 17-year wait to see his daughter who was ‘abducted’ by the Army

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Indian doctor commits suicide after being harassed on her caste
Social media users condemn harassment, argue caste continues to be a challenge for India
Published: May 27, 2019 Huda Tabrez, Community Web Editor

RDS_190527 Doctor commits suicide-1558954921690

Dr Payal TadviImage Credit: Twitter

Dubai: The suicide of Dr Payal Tadvi, a Mumbai-based doctor and postgraduate student has created a furore online, after it was reported that the death was a result of caste-based harassment.
Twenty six-year-old Dr Payal Tadvi was a second-year resident doctor at the BYL Nair Hospital located in Mumbai Central.

The harassment
Her husband, Dr Salman Tadvi, was quoted in the Indian newspaper The Hindu: “When she came to Nair Hospital for her postgraduation, she was asked to temporarily share a room with Dr Hema Ahuja and Dr Bhakti Mehar. The two began harassing her soon.... The two doctors would go to the toilet and wipe their feet on her mattress and litter it. When she would be away, they would taunt her that she was spending time with her husband.”
According to Mumbai Mirror, the two doctors, along with another doctor, allegedly made fun of her caste and posted derogatory messages on a Whatsapp group. Tadvi had joined the college on a reservation quota.

Historically disadvantaged castes and tribes receive a quota for minimum representation in schools, universities and government jobs, as per the Indian Constitution. This is termed as ‘reservation’.

Her mother, Abeda Tadvi, had filed a written complaint to the head of the department in the hospital but she alleged that no steps were taken. Dr Tadvi committed suicide on May 22.

“Whenever she used to speak to me on the phone, she would say that these three people torture her as she belongs to a tribal community, use casteist slurs on her. We want justice for her,” Dr Tadvi’s mother told the news agency ANI.

According to a report in the Indian newspaper Mid-day, she said: “Had the authorities acted swiftly and shown sensitivity, my daughter would have been alive today.”

Action taken
The report also stated that hours before she died, Dr Tadvi told her mother that she was unable to bear the torment from the three doctors, who have been absconding since they learned about her suicide.

The Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors has cancelled the memberships of the three accused, according to news agency ANI. In their response, the accused urged the association to conduct a fair investigation, referring to their heavy workload in letter: “You all are aware of the workload in residency and do you all really believe burdened with the workload is ragging?”

According to a report by the Hindustan Times, the Agripada police have registered a case against the three accused under section 306 (abetment for suicide) of the Indian penal code (IPC), sections of the SC/ST Atrocities Act, Anti-Ragging Act and Information Technology Act, 2000.

What is an Adivasi?
Dr Payal Tadvi belonged to the Adivasi Tadvi Bhil community, a Scheduled Tribe - which is designated by the Indian Constitution as being historically disadvantaged.

She was also taunted for being an adivasi, which is the collective name used for the many indigenous peoples of India, according to Minority Rights Group International, a non-governmental organisation.

Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST) are clearly identified in the Indian Constitution, and clause 2 of Article 15 ensures that people are not discriminated against on grounds of religion, caste, sex or place of birth. Various provisions within the Indian Constitution ensure that historically disadvantaged groups of people get the opportunity to be on a par with others.

Social media outcry
On social media, users were shocked by the incident and used #JusticeForPayal and #JusticeForDrPayal to raise awareness about the case as well as caste-based discrimination in Indian society.
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Nagma
@nagma_morarji

They say Dr Payal committed suicide. I call it murder. She was murdered by the indignities she suffered. She was killed because she was a #Dalit. I stand by her near & dear ones in this time of grief .Pray that god lets her soul rest in peace #JusticeForDrPayal #JusticeForPayal
7:12 PM - May 26, 2019
389 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Tweep @RajeshK24914615 wrote: “#JusticeForDrPayal casteism is a reality in India. Even after 72 years of independence, dalits are struggling for their honour and proper representation in society. Stringent laws and more empowerment of dalits is needed rather than simply dumping the idea of reservation.”

Caste-based reservation is a big topic of debate in India politics, where many argue that India should do away with reservation based on a person’s caste.

Tweep @Tejaswi2406 wrote: “In my class of 70 students, there is no single Adivasi student. This is how reservation is implemented. And then you [say] … we have taken your seat. You [upper castes] have been over-represented illegitimately in these institutions. #JusticeForDrPayal #InstitutionalMurder”
Jignesh Mevani, @jigneshmevani80, a politician in Gujarat, shared the news report and wrote: “To everyone who says that caste does not exist in urban/modern India, Dr Payal, a medical student, committed suicide in our country’s financial capital after she was ragged & tortured for her tribal background. #JusticeForDrPayal #InstitutionalMurder”

Jignesh Mevani
@jigneshmevani80

· May 26, 2019
Replying to @jigneshmevani80
The college's apathy and inaction to her complaints represent the lackadaisical attitude institutions show towards serious issues faced by Tribals, Dalits and Women. If a student cant rely on her college for justice, where else can she go? #JusticeForDrPayal #InstitutionalMurder

Jignesh Mevani
@jigneshmevani80

I appeal to each and every student across India, it is high time we create safe schools, colleges, universities that are safe and inclusive. This is the first step towards creating a society free of discrimination and divisions. #JusticeForDrPayal #InstitutionalMurder
6:26 PM - May 26, 2019

Tweep @hmsankit added: “Racism took the life of a talented doctor like Payal. As well as demanding punishment for the guilty, there is a need to agitate at the level of the whole country to bring justice in all the cases of caste discrimination. #JusticeForDrPayal”
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Christy@adivasiqueer

ST/SC students harassed in medical colleges is a common phenomenon... There is an urgent need of strong anti-discrimination policy in all medical colleges.#JusticeForDrPayal #InstitutionalMurder @PMOIndia @CMOMaharashtra @IMAIndiaOrg @MSJEGOI @TribalAffairsIn
6:08 PM - May 26, 2019

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Muslim youth beaten up in Gurugram for wearing skull cap
Police say efforts to catch the four accused are under way
Published: May 27, 2019 IANS

Mohamad Barker Alam

Mohamad Barker Alam was allegedly beaten up by four young peopleImage Credit: Social media

Gurugram: A Muslim youth was allegedly accosted and beaten up by four unidentified assailants here on Saturday night for wearing a traditional skullcap and not chanting religious slogans, police said.

In a police complaint, 25-year-old Mohamad Barker Alam, who hails from Bihar and is a resident of Jakob Pura here, alleged that four young men intercepted him at the Sadar Bazar Lane and asked him to remove the traditional skull cap he was wearing.

"The accused threatened me and said that wearing the cap is not allowed in the area. They removed the cap and slapped me. They asked to chant 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'. Following their instructions, I did that. Then they also forced me to chant 'Jai Sri Ram' which I refused. After that the accused picked up a baton and mercilessly beat me on my legs and back," he said in his complaint.

View image on Twitter View image on Twitter

ANI
@ANI

Gurugram: A man says he was assaulted in Sadar Bazar by 5-6 youths for wearing traditional skull cap last night; says, "One of them threatened me, saying wearing cap was not allowed in the area. I said I am coming back after offering namaz. They removed my cap & slapped me."
5:37 AM - May 27, 2019

Alam, who was returning home from local mosque in Sadar Bazar area after offering 'namaz', shouted for help and a number of Muslims from there rushed there to help him. As the attackers saw them approaching, they fled the spot.

"We have received a complaint about the incident and subsequently registered an FIR under sections of 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot), 147 (rioting), 149 (member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC in the city police station concerned. We have also conducted a medical examination of victim," ACP, Gurugram City, Rajiv Kumar, said.

ANI
@ANI

· 17h
Gurugram: A man says he was assaulted in Sadar Bazar by 5-6 youths for wearing traditional skull cap last night; says, "One of them threatened me, saying wearing cap was not allowed in the area. I said I am coming back after offering namaz. They removed my cap & slapped me."
View image on Twitter View image on Twitter

ANI
@ANI

Man who was allegedly assaulted for wearing skull cap: They said they would make me eat pork & chant Jai Shri Ram & Bharat Mata ki Jai. They tore my kurta when I was trying to escape. Police say, "accused was reportedly drunk. It was a minor altercation. We've registered an FIR" pic.twitter.com/bCApKE4g5n
5:37 AM - May 27, 2019
View image on Twitter
252 people are talking about this

"We are scanning CCTV footage of the area to identify the accused. Effort are on to nab them," he added.

BJP's new minister trolled
Meanwhile, former Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir has come out in support of Barker Alam, calling the incident "deplorable". He recently joined the political world, successfully campaigning for a New Delhi seat for the Bharatiya Janata Party.

Sharing the news of the incident, Gambhir called the attack deplorable and urging strict action from the police authorities. He also made a reference to India's multicultural heritage, adding: "We are a secular nation where [lyricist] @Javedakhtarjadu [Javed Akhtar] writes “ओ पालन हारे, निर्गुण और न्यारे” [a Hindu devotional song] & [filmmaker] @RakeyshOmMehra [Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra] gave us d song “अर्ज़ियाँ” [a sufi song].

Gautam Gambhir
@GautamGambhir

“In Gurugram Muslim man told to remove skullcap,chant Jai Shri Ram”.
It is deplorable. Exemplary action needed by Gurugram authorities. We are a secular nation where @Javedakhtarjadu writes “ओ पालन हारे, निर्गुण और न्यारे” & @RakeyshOmMehra gave us d song “अर्ज़ियाँ” in Delhi 6.
7:04 AM - May 27, 2019
12.8K people are talking about this

However, Gambhir's call for inclusivity did not sit well with many social media users, who trolled him for his 'selective outrage'. Tweep @RituRathaur wrote: "You never tweeted on the violent and tragic murder of your worker in Amethi but we're quick tk tweet about this case which is most probably a set up. Over and above you invoke closet jihadi @Javedakhtarjadu? Why are you damaging the support base of @narendramodi ji on social media?"

Gautam Gambhir
@GautamGambhir

· 15h
“In Gurugram Muslim man told to remove skullcap,chant Jai Shri Ram”.
It is deplorable. Exemplary action needed by Gurugram authorities. We are a secular nation where @Javedakhtarjadu writes “ओ पालन हारे, निर्गुण और न्यारे” & @RakeyshOmMehra gave us d song “अर्ज़ियाँ” in Delhi 6.

Rita ?? @RitaG74

Police has found discrepancies in his statement to police and media. He told the police that he was abused only. Later on the investigation of certain people he added the story of skull cap to the media. PM told only the other day to be careful about media.@narendramodi
10:24 AM - May 27, 2019
129 people are talking about this

Gambhir responded to the many comments criticisng him from deviating from the party line and tweeted shortly afterwards that his thoughts on secularism "emanate from honourable PM Mr Modi’s mantra" - progress for everyone.

Gautam Gambhir
@GautamGambhir

My thoughts on secularism emanate from honourable PM Mr Modi’s mantra “सबका साथ, सबका विकास, सब का विश्वास”. I am not limiting myself to Gurugram incident alone, any oppression based on caste/religion is deplorable. Tolerance & inclusive growth is what idea of India is based on.
9:34 AM - May 27, 2019

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/india/muslim-youth-beaten-up-in-gurugram-for-wearing-skull-cap-1.1558936395077?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GulfNews_NewsLetter_20190527_Evening_PM

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
After Modi elected a PM to India there has been a noticeable increase in violence by Hindus against other religious minorities in India mainly Muslims and Sikh.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
After Modi elected a PM to India there has been a noticeable increase in violence by Hindus against other religious minorities in India mainly Muslims and Sikh.
Lower caste hindus aren't safe either: