Reports of Sexual Assault In Military Increase | World Defense

Reports of Sexual Assault In Military Increase

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Reports of Sexual Assault in Military Increase Again - NBC News

The number of reported sexual assaults by members of the U.S. military rose again in 2014, according to the Pentagon's newest annual report.

But the Pentagon office that handles sexual assault complaints said the crime is often underreported, and its estimate of how many sexual assaults occurred over that time decreased from last year.

In fiscal year 2014, the military received a total of 6,131 reports of sexual assault involving service members as either victims or subjects, an 11% increase from fiscal year 2013 reporting, and a 70% increase from fiscal year 2012.

Female victims made the majority of reports — 79% of the reports were from women compared to 20% made by men.

But the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office at the Pentagon said it estimates that about 20,300 active-component service members were sexually assaulted during the last fiscal year. That number is down from about 26,000 in FY 2013.

The office estimates that 10,600 men and 9,600 women were sexually assaulted.

The 20,300 estimate is out of 1,317,561 active-component service members, so it represents just under 1% of men (1 in 100) and 4.9% of women (5 in 100) in the active component who experienced a sexual assault in the past year.

Among those who reported sexual assault, men more often described their assaults as serving to humiliate or abuse them as opposed to having a sexual intent, and they were more likely to describe the assault as hazing. Assaults against women were more likely to involve alcohol — 41% of women had been drinking at the time of the assault, the report said.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think this kind of behaviour has been rife in the military for many years. It's only now becoming more and more public due to it being reported more.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be reported, but I'm not sure what long term effect stories like this will have. It's certainly a can of worms that's only just being opened and I'd expect the closer the military is looked at, the more behaviour we will find out about.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
There has been a lot of issues in the military, lately. The increase in reported sexual assaults, the drug dealing, and racial slurs Thursday are just the problems they e. other ex to tell us about. I'm curious, though, is this the norm, but with more people coming forward?
If it is a legit increase, why are they behaving this way? I mean, there's got to be a reason they are all of a sudden our military is going to hell in a handbasket

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said, I do think this type of thing as been going on for many years. More and more people are looking at the military these days though and like with anything, the closer you look at something, the more you'll find.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
While this isn't new, it is still unacceptable and needs to be dealt with. Men are far less likely to report a sexual assault regardless of the circumstances, than women. I know there is a huge problem with women being assaulted and abused, but it does happen to men much more than we really know. I hope something is being done to help men feel like they can report a sexual assault without feeling like it makes them weak to do so.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I totally agree, I wasn't condoning this type of behaviour at all. I was just pointing out that it's only now that people are finding out more and more about it.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Any man who comes forward and says someone raped them is going to be a joke to everyone else. They know they're going to be too humiliated to tattle tell.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
This is definitely not new but it is a problem that needs to be dealt with and part of the problem is that everything has to be dealt with in house, meaning no civilians are allowed to intervene. How do you punish people who have been fighting and taking bullets for their country for assault? This is the attitude and perhaps having outside courts and judges to decide the fate of the assailant is a good and necessary thing.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Any man who comes forward and says someone raped them is going to be a joke to everyone else. They know they're going to be too humiliated to tattle tell.
This is exactly what needs to be addressed. It is not weakness to report a crime committed against you. It is never your fault that someone chose to harm you. Even if you made a mistake at some point and put yourself in a situation that wasn't safe, it is still the perpetrator's fault entirely and they need to face the consequences so they don't just continue to harm others.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
This is exactly what needs to be addressed. It is not weakness to report a crime committed against you. It is never your fault that someone chose to harm you. Even if you made a mistake at some point and put yourself in a situation that wasn't safe, it is still the perpetrator's fault entirely and they need to face the consequences so they don't just continue to harm others.
You're absolutely right! The fact that these men can't feel comfortable coming forward, and stopping a rapist is horrible. Honestly, I don't really know why men are so hesitant, (regardless of how people are going to treat you afterwards), to stand up against the rapists. If anything can earn you a transfer, those circumstances should be it.

Clairelouise84

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Reports of Sexual Assault in Military Increase Again - NBC News

The number of reported sexual assaults by members of the U.S. military rose again in 2014, according to the Pentagon's newest annual report.

But the Pentagon office that handles sexual assault complaints said the crime is often underreported, and its estimate of how many sexual assaults occurred over that time decreased from last year.

In fiscal year 2014, the military received a total of 6,131 reports of sexual assault involving service members as either victims or subjects, an 11% increase from fiscal year 2013 reporting, and a 70% increase from fiscal year 2012.

Female victims made the majority of reports — 79% of the reports were from women compared to 20% made by men.

But the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office at the Pentagon said it estimates that about 20,300 active-component service members were sexually assaulted during the last fiscal year. That number is down from about 26,000 in FY 2013.

The office estimates that 10,600 men and 9,600 women were sexually assaulted.

The 20,300 estimate is out of 1,317,561 active-component service members, so it represents just under 1% of men (1 in 100) and 4.9% of women (5 in 100) in the active component who experienced a sexual assault in the past year.

Among those who reported sexual assault, men more often described their assaults as serving to humiliate or abuse them as opposed to having a sexual intent, and they were more likely to describe the assault as hazing. Assaults against women were more likely to involve alcohol — 41% of women had been drinking at the time of the assault, the report said.
It is horrendous, my friend is in the Royal Air Force and she says she is very lucky that she works with what seems to be a great bunch of people. But she has been sent to places that are not nice and received a lot of abuse and nasty, threatening behaviour. Stupid really considering she is the medic so she will be the one rescuing them and saving their lives!

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
The armed forces to some extent is still male dominated and I do think that a lot of people still want it to stay that way.

It seems to still be bred into that way of life that females are the weaker gender and a lot more is gotten away with than what would be tolerated in every day life outside of the service.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It is horrendous, my friend is in the Royal Air Force and she says she is very lucky that she works with what seems to be a great bunch of people. But she has been sent to places that are not nice and received a lot of abuse and nasty, threatening behaviour. Stupid really considering she is the medic so she will be the one rescuing them and saving their lives!
Maybe what the military needs are more female officers. They'd see to it that those who are under their command "behave" themselves. If there are any sexual assaults, the victims would report the issue and considering the fact that the person in charge is "one of their own" she would most likely take action against those responsible. That, I believe, would help a little.

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
that means that other women coming out has inspired women in the military to be vocal about what's happening to them. This is incredibly interesting because it marks a new age of sexual assault in the military. Hopefully it will become something that every single woman reports.

sazzydan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the military need to stamp this out sharpish. It is an embarrassment to have some of their personnel abusing one other, when being in the army is not easy as it is.

There have been lots of reports of this happening and they can estimate how many cases there are, but I imagine that number can probably be doubled by the people who have not reported it through being embarrassed or worried about their job.

No one should have to put up with sexual abusive, especially by the people who are supposed to help you in a war!