Romania buy 110 million euro worth of anti tank weapons | World Defense

Romania buy 110 million euro worth of anti tank weapons

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's always great to be prepared for the worst but at the present it's highly unlikely that Russia will be thinking of invading their neighbors for whatever reason. There's the Syrian war which they have to win for Assad [and it has got all their attention, at least for now] and once that's done there are economic problems at home which have to "fixed."

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Romania buys antitank weapons worth EUR 110m from German company | The Romania Journal
Interesting development. The Romanian govt clearly feels uneasy about a potential Russian threat seeing how they're so much closer now that they own the Crimean Peninsula.
Romania is part of NATO and by definition if some country attacks Romania, it will be considered an attack on NATO. Russia would be foolish to pursue such an act. Ukraine was not part of NATO (although it had applied for membership) and that is why the Russians simply walked into Crimea.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Romania is part of NATO and by definition if some country attacks Romania, it will be considered an attack on NATO. Russia would be foolish to pursue such an act. Ukraine was not part of NATO (although it had applied for membership) and that is why the Russians simply walked into Crimea.
By that logic Romania could simply stop investing in their armed forces and completely rely on NATO. 110 million is a quite a large sum, so obviously, they feel some need to better arm themselves. I wonder how much stuff will they be getting for all that money.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
By that logic Romania could simply stop investing in their armed forces and completely rely on NATO. 110 million is a quite a large sum, so obviously, they feel some need to better arm themselves. I wonder how much stuff will they be getting for all that money.
Not much. But, enough to stall an intrusion long enough that help could reach them.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
It's always great to be prepared for the worst but at the present it's highly unlikely that Russia will be thinking of invading their neighbors for whatever reason. There's the Syrian war which they have to win for Assad [and it has got all their attention, at least for now] and once that's done there are economic problems at home which have to "fixed."
I was thinking more about what Russia has done in Eastern Ukraine, where the "rebels" magically have tanks and other armored vehicles. It's not like they got them from the local corner shop :). Russia is actively arming the rebels there. They could do a similar thing using the Russian population in Moldova.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I'd say kudos to Romania for this move. They're in the running to be the next Ukraine like most Balkan states. It's their right to arm themselves and prepare for the worst. Russia may appear docile these days but behind closed doors, Putin and his henchmen may be hatching a grand scheme - far grander than what they did to Crimea.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
It's regrettable that so many countries have to be diverting their resources to the acquisition of weapons. This an era of heightened tension worldwide. Many are wary of the possible threat of war or invasion. In a few instances, I question the futility of acquiring a large amount of armament. They might believe, however, that even though they may not able to match their invaders, they may be able to make a stand until help is available. This situation is depriving citizens of many important services.
North Korea, for example, has been creating massive arms stockpiles, however, this action is depriving the country of much-needed resources.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines

I agree to that line of being prepared for the worst. And if Romania has the money for those anti-tank weapons then it is a good investment not really for the thought to be using it but for the feeling of security that it will give the Romanian government. And I also agree that Russia is busy now with other affairs and invading Romania is the least of its concerns. Hoping my hunch is true.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
As I said in some other thread. It is very interesting how several countries are enforcing their military stock. I heard that Japan was having increase in military budget and Saudi Arabia If I'm not wrong. Now Romania and South Korea going regularly berserk. I bet a lot of other countries are buying and strengthening their military. Well, even my country, Serbia, is doing something about this question, and we even haven't had obligatory military for a long time now.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I definitely don't think of Putin as docile. I am sure he's up to something, although I have no idea what that is. The good thing is that he's a strong leader, and would protect his country from being invaded, but it's highly unlikely that anyone would invade Russia, and it appears some of his attention could and should be focused inward, to fixing some of the economic concerns and improving the conditions for the people of Russia. I do think it's smart of Romania to obtain some weaponry, as I believe basic self-protection is a right of any nation.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Better safe than sorry I suppose? It's always good to have a deterrent in case things go south. I think it is a pretty good move, as now their enemies would think twice before engaging a now heavily defended territory. I say good on them. An ounce of prevention is definitely worth more than a pound of cure.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
With the ongoing issues and the lack of western response, you can see why some of the nations nearer Russia would want to arm up.
In military purchases though, this is small fry.
Either Romania is making a point or they have purchased even more in case of a real threat but this is the only piece we know about.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
I suppose Russia's actions against Ukraine have brought morbid fear in its neighbours. Crimea was targeted because of its historical roots and its large Russian population who insisted on rejoining Russia. So is the case with Eastern Ukraine. I aver that Russia is not dumb enough as to have similar expansionist strategies as those of the Third Reich. But armaments are necessary for guarding against the psychological siege and the fear of the unknown.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
I was thinking more about what Russia has done in Eastern Ukraine, where the "rebels" magically have tanks and other armored vehicles. It's not like they got them from the local corner shop :). Russia is actively arming the rebels there. They could do a similar thing using the Russian population in Moldova.

You could say the same with Syrian "rebels", or Libyan "rebels". Or even just how the elected Ukraine president was overthrown. Come on, we all know better it is impossible to overthrow a regime without outside help in the modern age where all your weapons need tons of supplies to keep them running, and coordinated command to have any kind of large scaled strategy.

Russia was reacting at Crimea, and Syria for the very same reason. Both places had their naval bases. Someone wanted them gone... just saying. And the Russians aren't going to just give in.